Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Members

Today they would probably say that isn't a "big" exit, and she would be killed off or go to prison or whatever.

There's a real sense of loss and heartbreak throughout the breaking of all her relationships on the Street, yet - much like Elsie years earlier (even though Elsie had a happier exit) - we know she'll be fine, because she has herself, and ultimately she's only survived because of herself.

I do wish they'd bring her back for a bit, as the show is so sparse on vets and no longer has a sense of identity. Bring back the living Rovers waitresses (I'd say landlords/landladies but it's just her and that awful flop Stella) for some ceremony.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

In today's world, Hilda Ogden's exit (which, IMO, is probably the best ever exit given to a beloved long-running character on a soap) would be lambasted for being "boring" and "playing it safe." Corrie used to do great and classy exits for its veteran characters once upon a time.

I do think there is a lot of life left in Bet, even in her short 2002 return, she stole every scene. They don't make characters like that anymore.

• Members

Fans seemed to be out for her blood after the whole Roy business earlier this year.

Corrie doesn't seem to actually get rid of characters unless the actors quit, but sometimes I do wonder if the only Windass left will be Gary and his well-packed jeans.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I hate that mushmouth Owen and his bad dye job so much (he's another reason I stopped watching Corrie - yet ANOTHER failed Collinson character [did Collinson have any characters who weren't failures?]). I did want to see Lorraine from Eastenders, as I was a big fan of hers back then. I even liked her pointless role on Hollyoaks (which was then taken over by, of all people, the wonderful Samantha Giles, since she and Jacqueline Leonard have so much in common!).

• Members

I know some fans would say the early 90s were the last truly great period of the show, up to about 1994 or so.

I guess I have to get around to watching more of that era. To be honest some of the characters heavily featured then just exhaust me somewhat (like Mike and the Macdonalds).

I wish more of the 60s was on Youtube.

• Members

There seemed to be an understated quality about the show in these years, which changed by the late 90's when it felt like the entire program was revamped to be more sensationalized.

The McDonald's do annoy me somewhat (in a way that's similar to how I feel about the Carter's on EastEnders these days), but they do at least seem authentic. Also, am I the only one who preferred Andy over Steve?

And of course, I am loving Bet during this era, even if Alec disturbs me with the way he treats her at times.

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

I always liked Andy better too. I thought he was a more believable character. I also liked his droll humor. Unfortunately the actor was a part of one of those idiotic "Corrie has too many gays!" articles so I'm not sure they'll ever have him back (of course he'd aged badly, but I did like it when he popped up for visits).

• Members

I sometimes see fans go on now about the good old days of the Freshco siege (1999, 2000), and so on, but to me that era of the show was just anathema to most of what made Corrie stand out. It's so needlessly grim and so generic, like something airlifted in from the last years of Brookside.

Corrie can be both quaint and contemporary, but most showrunners seem to have no idea how to do this anymore. I guess 2002-2004 or so, flaws and all, were the last years they sort of did.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Even in the midst of his living hell, David still managed to get the best line of the night by telling Nick to run over Gail when she stopped them from leaving to confront Callum. The way he said it, killed me. Jack P. Shepherd spits out those dark, sarcastic lines brilliantly time and time again.

Jenny's return is off to a good start. Did Jenny really have a crush on Kevin back in the day or was that just something they made up tonight? They do have chemistry, [Annie Sugden] any road [/Annie Sugden].

Monday's episodes were in fine form. Sally was fantastic as usual these days. It was a great idea to get her involved in the Platt story, fearing she was going to prison. Surprisingly Sophie was pretty hilarious, too. "Why is there a stick on the table?" laugh.png