Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I believe we are about ten episodes behind in Canada, but I have been sick this weekend and caught up on several weeks of Corrie (we aso got the Tina special.)

There is so much that's a mess on the show right now. But one thing that the show often was good at in the past was playing out story beats--to use one glaring example right now is Todd and Marcus. Why has Marcus decided he's in LOVE with Todd? I've seen nothing remotely romantic or appealing about the way Todd has pursued Marcus, and while I could buy that Marcus finds him attractive on some level, the fact that now they are meant to be in love just bewilders me.

• Members

Right? When I'm rooting for Maria, there's a problem. I can watch the scene where she throws her cell phone into his eye socket a million times.

Do you guys think they should ever try and pursue a Todd/Nick friendship again?

And though I've always loved him, ever since David got his haircut he's been working it. #sorrynotsorry

Edited by Bright Eyes

• Members

I feel like any attempt at a Todd/Nick friendship now would just lead to Todd developing obsessive feelings for the street's supposed resident hunk. It would probably end with Todd being carted off on charges.

Todd, IMO, should be written as sort of a modern version of what/who Ken was in the early years. Intelligent, a bit naive, "better" than his working class roots but not entirely ashamed of them, drawn to what's "out there" but comforted by home, etc. He should definitely be dating guys from outside of the street.

I might watch a clip or two to see my boo David looking sexy, tho :wub:

• Members

Male characters like a young Ken don't exist on soaps now.

Does anyone actually see Nick as a hunk? He's older than Rita now.

I don't think it's too late to salvage Todd. It's all mostly trash stories, but there have been worse.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Like Andy on Emmerdale, I`m still happily surprised Jason actually has a story of his own. Especially one that doesn`t involve him being screwed over by his girlfriend of the month. Stuart Blackburn is actually (and shockingly) doing a pretty good job so far. I mean, Sally is turning into one of my favourite characters, thanks a lot to Tim, of course, but still. I used to hate her so much. It`s just too bad that this new Nazir family has been a fail to me so far. I`m indifferent to the dad, the mother is like nails on a chalkboard and Kal is a snoozer. And reading his EastEnder`s Wiki character profile, it seems he had the same problem on that show. The daughter (Alya), however, shows a lot of promise and Steph and Luke Britton have been the best new characters on this show in ages.

I am dreading

story though. The Windass` front and center is always a huge, huge pill to swallow. So awful.

Edited by Bright Eyes

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Carl, have you checked out the show anytime recently? Blackburn has really done a remarkable job rehabilitating Tracy. He's brought back her close relationship with Peter, which I know you missed. I know I've said this before, but he's also made Sally one of the MVPs of the show, too. And, this Neal stalker story has been must see for me. When could you ever say that about a Lloyd story? I've never seen a story like it before. He's not some loud psycho. Just very disturbed. I can't wait to see where they go with it.

It's hard for me to understand how he was so horrible at Emmerdale, but has been pretty good at Corrie so far.

• Members

I haven't watched much.

I saw that The Sun is claiming the ratings have fallen 1.3 since that odious Collinson left so they may have to do another stunt and bring back Curly or Spider.

I liked Spider and Curly was OK too but I'm not too sure they'd bring in the ratings...

I think Collinson destroyed what was left of Corrie and I'm not sure it can be brought back.