Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
With a soap/drama serial scene that has given us Louise Berridge (especially in 2004), Anita Turner, Oliver Kent, Paul Marquess, etc, to call Stuart Blackburn the worst is a damning indictment.

Yes, Mr Blackburn, who wasn't a bad scriptwriter back in the day (he wrote that (in)famous episode of The Bill back in 2001 when Special Constable Terry Knowles was stabbed in the neck with a comb handle) came to Coronation Street with somewhat of a chequered reputation for soap producing.

His Emmerdale was less-than-remarkabke and seen as very serious and depressing, with odd/bad couples and poor plots. It certainly wasn't on my Sky+, whereas it is the first thing I watch when I get home from work, thanks to his successor, (the almost improbably gorgeous) Kate Oates. Moreso than my superficial comment, she seems to get Emmerdale and has sped things up. Whilst not quite the 'Dynasty-esq' barminess of Kath Beedles Emmerdale nearly a decade ago, it just works, in contrast to Coronation Street.

In my view, everything else on the show bows down to the Cropper storyline, which is already breathtaking and heartbreaking, thanks mostly to the acting masterclass by the actors.

So, on one hand, avid viewers should hope that Coronation Street isn't damaged or gutted too much by Stuart Blackburn. On the other, unless ITV has another Collinson-esq 'chosen one' they want to poach from another network, then usual services will be resumed and the Emmerdale producer will move to Coronation Street in 2015 or 2016.

Interesting point about Emmerdale under Gavin Blyth. I think he is seen with a great deal of fondness because of the initial upturn in quality after Anita Turner and sadly, the circumstances behind the end of his reign. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he plot the 'almost off screen' deaths of Terry Woods and Viv Windsor? So yes, perhaps Stuart Blackburn has been unfortunate enough to inherit shows without a solid foundation?

Edited by UK LAW

• Members

Which producer opted to bring back Liz as the Rover owner again? I think that was a step in the right direction.

A strength of the show is the large canvas of characters that are constantly rotating in and out of the front burner, which I wish US soaps would take note of.

At the same time, the large canvas of characters is also a weakness because i think some characters could be cut and not hurt the overall fabric of the show. I know Stella, Tina, and Stella's mother is leaving.. but what other characters do you think should be cut? I think that annoying red headed girl Fiz (sp?) should be cut.

Plus, I missed some weeks.. but why is the whole family mad at David when his wife Kylie cheated on him with his half-brother? I missed a crucial plot point.. does it have something to do with the car accident?

• Members

Bringing Liz back was a decision by Stuart Blackburn.

I believe the turning point in this story was the fact that David caused the car accident, which has 'changed Nick's life' (for now). It is quite strange considering Kylie sleeping with Nick (cheating on both sides) was the catalyst to this all.

• Members

I think Corrie will go the same way as Emmerdale did under SB, but maybe not quite as far.

I thought Hayley's story was great when it first began, but now it's been twisted into irrationality. The turning point was when they brought in Hayley's plot device friend, who just had to die under terrible circumstances that would instil fear and irrationality in Hayley. This story should have always been about death and the ending of a love story in Roy and Hayley, not be about assisted suicide and transgender fear. Hayley has always been her identity, not Harold, and for someone who is confident with who they are, who would have drawn a line under their childhood a long time ago, would not, IMO, feel so threatened by it that they would fear regressing back into Harold during the final stages of death. I think this sends out a negative message for other trans-people who may find themselves in this terrible situation.

I also think it's out of character for Hayley to place Roy in this situation. It's not helped by the fact they haven't made it clear if Hayley will end her own life while she still can, or if she expects Roy to do that for her before she regresses back into Harold; they've not even talked about the legal consequences, and that's such a big part of any euthanasia story. Besides all that, SB already told this story on Emmerdale with Aaron & Jackson, and we all know how "well" that went down.

Elsewhere, Tina is being shoved into every story under the sun, and her and Peter are growing awfully close... Terrible plot that is. Throw in Grace the Devil Child and manipulative Faye's bullying, unlikeable Owen and Anna, the dull David/Kylie/Nick/Leanne plot that has lost all momentum, and whatever else is going on, you have one very boring show being propped by Hayley's story.

ETA: Jfung, are you still enjoying the show?

Edited by Ben

• Members

For UK soaps, does the EP or the head-writer decide on story content? From reading this message board, it looks as if the EP seems to decide on the story content.

From viewing several months of episodes, I actually think the cast is too large and some paring down is needed. Of course, I'm just an American caught up in the US mindset of downsizing LOL

• Members

In UK soaps, the Executive Producer is in essence, the show runner. Deals with the networks, finances, etc, and sets the direction.

The show is essentially in his/her image. The Series Producer, Story Producer and others are there to execute the vision of the EP. The most visible examples of this are Dominic Treadwell-Collins for Eastenders and Bryan Kirkwood for Hollyoaks (a tick I think the latter picked up from his stint on the former, more to follow).

And their names would usually be the last on the closing credits (a crediting trait on UK shows). However, on the ITV shows, the EP manages several shows or is a corporate head (for example, Kieran Roberts is the Head of Drama at ITV/Granada, clarification sought on official title) so doesn't run the show. The showrunner is you-know-know and he is credited as 'Producer'. The same set up on Emmerdale with John Whiston (who, by the way doesn't appear on Emmerdale's closing credits) as EP and Kate Oates is Series Producer.

• Members

Why are they killing off Tina? I'm sorry but she isn't a character I'd picture being killed off being a "whodunnit." She was dull and pimped by certain characters (Rita) for the most part. She's not like a Janine (EE) or Tracy-luv that one would expect this story from. I just find them going this route with Tina's exit to be pointless. Someone accidentally mowing her down with a car would've been more impactful than another long, drawn out "whodunnit."

• 1 month later...