Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Members

I like Dennis too, I just think if you bring him back, let's have some exploration of who he was and where he was. The woman who played his sister Linda is still alive, and presumably is still healthy enough to act if she wants to. Bring her back for a visit. Bring in her sons, or grandsons.

It's sad that the show never even really did anything with the friendship Ken and Dennis had in the 60s.

I'm not sure if you've watched any of the 60s episodes Dennis was in, but he's so vibrant and alive. While I know that was fifty years ago, I wish we had some writing along those lines now for the character.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That's surprising. I know he wasn't a huge star, but he seemed to work consistently, and he didn't have fond memories of his Eastenders days, or at least I got that impression. He's marrying a dancer from Strictly Come Dancing (former dancer - she quit the show this year), so maybe he wants money to start a family.

I do like him, but I'm not sure how he'll fit in here. It's a good start that they aren't casting him as some relative or acquaintance of Dev's, which they have done with almost every South Asian actor over the last fifteen years, and which is a huge sinkhole.

Edited by DRW50

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Chris Fountain has been suspended for some of his raps on Youtube.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/aug/16/coronation-street-chris-fountain-youtube-raps

There's a lot of "what's the big deal" type commentary, but this was dumb to do while he's on a big show.

They aren't editing him out of episodes, so he will probably be back.

Tommy has always been a bust, played by an actor who was clearly 5-10 years too old for the role. Another example of Collinson casting on name, not whether the show needed the character.

Speaking of that, rumors are Stella will sell the Rovers and the buyer turns out to be Steve. I think putting him back there is kind of a bore, but makes more sense than wan St. Stella, especially with Liz returning. I just hope they won't try to make Michelle into Bet Lynch again.

• Members

I think it's extremely OTT of the show to suspend him for these weird ass videos. The only offensive thing about those videos is his ego in thinking he should be allowed to rap, ever. He's still attractive and a great actor, he needs to stick to what he's good at.

Corrie is such a succubus behind the scenes right now.

• Members

I think he deserves the suspension as he's in 1 of our biggest shows, and Corrie( more than all other Soaps) is viewed as your traditional family show.

I hope they don't axe Chris though but think they might react harsher than normal, with the other off screen stuff atm.

• Members

ITV have terminated his contract.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-08-19/report-coronation-street-actor-chris-fountain-is-sacked/

I have to admit I'm surprised it went that far. Given Kirkwood's love for bringing back characters he once obsessed over, even if he has no plans for them, I wonder if Justin will return.

The show must be in real turmoil at this time. And the "press" over there, as always, tend to make it worse. Daily Mail has some bizarre article showing how this proves the show is near-extinction, and goes on at length about "political correctness" because of that weird anti-racism story.

I wish I was surprised that we tend to hear this once overrated media pet Phil Collinson - who destroyed most of what was left of Corrie - is gone.

• Members

What a dumb pig headed decision. I don't think they thought of him much outside of Tina anyway, which is an interesting gender role change of things at least. If he does come back to Hollyoaks, I hope the Justin/Ste friendship is explored again. It was one of my favourites. I don't see it happening though.

• Members

Supposedly she had said she wasn't happy with the commute anyway.

This never worked. The relationship with Leanne was forced and barely written for, she didn't make sense in the Rover's, and she just seemed dull. Every character Collinson pushed on the audience was a flop.

I will never forgive the show for making this dullard the centerpiece of Betty's goodbye episodes.

We're going to hear all about what a loss this is. Spare me.