Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I really like Jenny Bradley so far and she's succeeding in making Kevin relevant again.

On a surprising front, this Faye pregnancy story is so far being told quite well. The actress who plays Faye is doing a great job. Owen can't go soon enough for me. It's a head scratcher why they think keeping Izzy around is at all necessary. She is the worst succubus on the show.

It sucks that they had to break up Jason and Eva for her to go on maternity leave soon. I really think it would have been a good time for her to become pregnant with his kid, especially with Sarah and Bethany returning.

Speaking of maternity leave, actors in soapdom are getting pregnant all over the place lately. In recent memory, there's been Fiz, Kylie and Eva from Corrie. ED has Nicola, Charity and Adam had a short paternity leave, and EE has Lauren. I wonder who will be next?

Edited by Bright Eyes

• Members

I just wish more of her first years were out to watch.

I think there's an episode I watched a while back set during that horribly depressing "relevant" period with the producer whose name I can't remember, where Bet contemplates suicide and Eddie stops her. It's not really the type of thing Julie got very often, as they usually never took Bet down quite that far, but Julie was fabulous, and so heartbreaking and so tough in a way no woman had been on the show since Pat Phoenix's first few years as Elsie.

• Members

I know Elsie is regarded as the first "tart with a heart" in British soap, and Bet certainly followed in that heritage.

However, I think Bet's character traits and development has had a massive influence in the tart with a heart character archetype. For example, I think Pat and Kat from EastEnders were heavily constructed in the same vein as Bet, even if they have their distinct differences.

• Members

Elsie was always a little more glam, at least by 60s standards (maybe because Corrie was never a particularly gritty soap in the '60s, at least in terms of hair and wardrobe - I'd say most of the women looked modest or plain, but they were still attractive). Bet often looked beautiful in the '70s but she was also rougher around the edges, so that is similar to Kat and Pat.

I do think Elsie was much rougher in her last few years - I always remember that episode where her pickup's enraged wife trashed her flat while she was at work. Even now that is so stark, as was Pat's performance in the aftermath.

• Members

I'm so embarrassed watching this...Helen Worth veers headlong into unintentionally hilarious (tough lady Gail!) and Callum is just ridiculous (and I don't find the actor that hot - apparently many do). Is this what passes for big drama on the show now?

Maybe they should go wild and put Callum with Gail.

At least Audrey is still good viewing.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

It...doesn't get much better.

Wow. Apparently there are "Callum Nation" edits on Youtube. I guess he does have a following.

At this point I'd say go for broke and pair him with David or Gail,

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Thanks to the horrible Michael, Gail is only worth airtime when David is saying something hilariously awful.

Sean Ward is good looking, but he's too lanky to be some heartthrob or hunk. As for Callum, he was only meant to be a short term character for Kylie's temporary leave and it shows. I am dreading him dating Sarah. What sort of character is she anyway? I've never bothered to watch much of her.