Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Members

There are rumors going around that Collinson is going to fire a bunch of younger actors because he thinks the show is too much like Hollyoaks. :rolleyes: Sadly I wouldn't even be surprised if this is true.

Anyway, Vicky Entwistle is quitting. I'm going to miss her, she is a fantastic actress and Leanne needs Janice in her life. Yet another wasted character while dross like Graeme/Tina, Nick, Michelle, Sean, and Stape keep on keeping on.

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/s3/coronation-street/news/a254796/janice-battersby-to-leave-corrie.html

Edited by CarlD2

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I never understand why people act like he's a big priority in firings. He's not a fantastic actor but he does fine and he has a lot of story potential.

I read a comment at DS saying that the Corrie teens need to go because they aren't "realistic" like the Eastenders teens. Actually I would say the Corrie teens are very realistic, for better or worse. They are sarcastic, sullen, guarded, yet they're basically good kids. They want to have sex, they don't understand the double standards of their parents, they do stupid things sometimes to get attention, yet they are there for their family when they're needed.

This is what most teens are, and generally I think most of the teens on there are played by competent actors. And unlike some on Eastenders and Hollyoaks they are not played by 30 year olds, unless you count Graeme.

Really the teens are the least of the show's problems.

• Members

The show's hardly overrun with teens anyway. Rosie and David will be 20 by the end of the year, so that just leaves Ches, Sophie, Sian, Izzy's sister, Ryan (who barely counts), and Becky's upcoming hellraiser of a little sister. I'm sure they'll still portray Rosie, David, and Tina as "teenagers," but are they really?

Notice how Graeme is nowhere in the equation.

• Members

So that Hollyoaks story is true. Holy fuc*ing shi!! I can't believe that he actually believes the show is too much like Hollyoaks! My God...just look at the show! If they have anything in common it's a lot of bad acting from certain cast members.

The show has a handful of teenagers, who don't take up that much storyline. Why are they being fired when horror shows like Graeme/Tina are going full steam ahead? And if we are talking about what drives away viewers, then why the hell are people like Nick Tilsley continuing to suck up airtime?

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

It looks like Geoffrey Hughes isn't doing well :( . While he may be best known to a lot of people as Onslow on Keeping Up Appearances (first place I saw him), he was very popular in the UK for his brilliant work as Eddie Yeats, who carried huge portions of the show in the late 70s and early 80s. I hope he gets better, this is a tough fight.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/soaps/3080927/Geoffrey-Hughes-Corries-Eddie-Yeats-is-gravely-ill-with-cancer.html

• Members

I think they said the same about Amber, but we'll see. Still don't get why Crowther banished her...

Details on the upcoming DVD. I'm glad that Jason and Mary will have more to do. Mary is comedy gold. She and Reg should be fun together.

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/s3/coronation-street/news/a255858/corrie-50th-dvd-plot-details-revealed.html

• Members

I wouldn' be surprised if Ryan really is out. They hardly use him, so what's the point? Corrie's in the peculiar position where its teen set is one of its strong points, but they they're constantly sidelined for Max Headroom.

So sad about Hughes. I still see Onslow when I look at him because there isn't a lot of his Corrie stuff available. I hope he's able to recover.

• Members

I haven't been watching Corrie for weeks, but I did watch one of last Friday's eps, and every scene annoyed or aggravated me. It was painful. This stupid John story is such a rushed mess; it's like a bad US soap storyline, not one that should be on Corrie... or at least not written like this. And what's up with this crazy Charlotte chick? She ingratiated herself into John's lies, and now she's claiming she's an innocent party! What I don't get is, why doesn't John just point out that she's a freaking accessory to everything, especially the burying of Colin's body? That would shut her up for 5 minutes. Oh, and I hate the Fiz twist.

And then there's the Audrey/Lewis/Deirdre mess, that seems to have left Audrey without her brains. :rolleyes:

Nasty Nick is still sleazing over Leanne - the woman he claims to still be in love with, yet ignored for several months. :rolleyes:

I don't care about this Lloyd/Cheryl/Chris story or the characters involved.

Don't care about this Owen, either. Feels like there's one to many builders on this tiny street.

I wish Janice wasn't leaving, but I'm glad it was her decision, and she wasn't fired.

Yep, the show sucks, big time.

• Members

This early scene between Nick and Leanne (and the world's most lenient teacher) is sweet. Adam Rickett was a bad actor but he was able to play these type of moments, at least when Nick and Leanne were more fun. I can't imagine the bizarre looking man now in the role playing this.

This is also the last episode for Percy Sugden, and not too long before Deirdre's boyfriend got her sent down.

That guy Sally was dating was cute...

Edited by CarlD2