Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks for posting that. It was interesting.

I'm not sure I agree with the example of Rosie Webster. They have repeatedly given reasons for her having money (she got tens of thousands of pounds from John Stape before it was embezzled from her; then she started working as a model and was the face of an ad campaign). I do agree with him about the Peacocks. They had a whole story about how they were going broke and then it was like oh, well they sold a few old Beatles programs found in the attic, so we won't mention this money struggle ever again.

This isn't new for Corrie. In the early 70s their new producer Susi Hush made the actresses stop wearing fancy jewelry and getting nice hairdos because she said it was not realistic to the nature of the show. A few years later, when Pat Phoenix/Elsie Tanner returned to the show, another new producer told her he would only let her come back if she would agree to tone down her look, as it was not realistic for Elsie. She agreed, but on the first day of filming, she showed up in a designer raincoat. She told the producer that she was a role model for a lot of impoverished women and she wanted to inspire them.

I can see where Tony Warren would be annoyed about lack of realism but I think there are more pressing problems. IMO the most expensive props are Kym Marsh and Anthony Cotton.

• Members

I tuned into Roy & Hayley's wedding eps, and they definitely show an improvement. I recommend watching from there, especially the second ep, which is really good. Then, I didn't bother to follow them up, and the last ep I watched was this Monday's, where Molly gave birth, and again, it showed the show has made significant changes for the better. It's not as bad as it was. Corrie's not on fire or anything, and its yet to coax me into wanting to watch regularly again, but episodes are no longer painful to sit through.

So yeah, give it another go and see what you think.

• Members

A long trailer for the BBC4 movie on the beginnings of Corrie:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rpn9WdbeDo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rpn9WdbeDo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rpn9WdbeDo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

• Members

That promo is really good! I'm glad Tony Warren is still here to see this. I'm sure it must be bittersweet, since his Corrie experience was horrible for a number of years, through homophobia, and a lot of personal problems. This looks beautifully put together and sadly it reminds me more of the Corrie I know than anything the show has done in the last few years.