Beverlee McKinsey Has Passed Away

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Damn. A true legend has been extinguished. If you never saw Beverlee act, click on YouTube and watch clips of her on GL if there are any -- a lot of her AW work isn't on YouTube or seen anywhere. She took every scene and attacked it as if it were a Tennessee Williams play.

RIP. :(

• Members

It always sort of bugged me the way Bev left GL; I totally understand her need to rest, but I felt like it was a slap in the face to her fans. Still, that never stopped me from wishing she'd come back. Regardless, she left us with decades of soap goodness. A true legacy. It's just a shame that the vast majority of her work as Iris will never be seen again.

BUt for me, she will always be the one and only Alexandra Spaulding. Her work transcended daytime, and she took a stock character and infused it with energy, life and charisma. The character of Alexandra has never been the same since McKinsey left the role.

It's not hyperbole when she is called the greatest soap opera actress of all time. If there's any justice, she'll get a tribute worthy of her in Soap Opera Digest.

Best wishes to her family.

• Members

I see where you're coming from, though I was shocked when she left GL and I've never accepted anyone else as Alexandra, I'm glad Bev did what she did. I have no sympathy for someone like Jill Farren Phelps, who can be a nasty woman in her own right at times. As far as I'm concerned, Bev gave Jill exactly what she should've been given - a good kick in her egotistical ass.

Since Beverlee's son Scott is a director for GH (where Beverlee appeared briefly in 1994), I often wonder if he and Jill ever talk about Bev. :lol:

• Members

This woman is the whole reason I'm a soap fan, I'll never forget the first moment I tuned into GL and saw Alex and Roger Thorpe (the equally missed Michael Zaslow) going at it. Even as an 8 year old, I was impressed. They were the reason I watched day after day, and the sad thing is, both are now gone. I know Beverlee And Michael didn't get along too well in real life, but boy did they bring it while they were on screen together.

To add to what I said earlier, this is one soap legend death that has effected me. My earliest soap watching experiences are with Ms. McKinsey. They are times I will cherish forever, I still hold early 90's GL as some of my favourite soap opera viewing experiences, and she was a big part of that. Thank you, Bev!

• Members

Wow..how terribly sad.

Sometimes, you can measure the importance and greatness of an actress or actor not only by the work they do on screen, but the void thats left when they are gone.

I remember watching as McKinsey made her exit from GL and thinking "First Zimmer and now this, How will GL make it?" I thought of McKinsey as the bigger loss, and I think GL's performance since that point proves that Mckinsey, in just a few years time, became the heart and soul of GL, the reason many of us watched this great drama.

She left an equally big (if not bigger) hole when she left AW. Everytime she left the canvas, the show she starred on never seemed the same again. That truly is a sign of greatness. Not just a great talent, but a great prescence.

She will be greatly missed.

• Members

My mom was a huge AM fan in the 70s and as a young kid I'd sit by her side every day during summer vacation and watch it with her. The scene where she learns that Mac isn't her biological father remains permanently etched in my mind. It's right after Rachel gives birth to Amanda, and Iris overhears Mac confiding to someone in the hospital (possibly Ada or Pat??) that Amanda is his first biological child and that Iris was adopted. The look on Iris's face is priceless as she learns the man she loves more than life, the man who is essentially the motivation for all her many schemes, is not her real father and that she had been lied to all these years. I don't recall any dialogue from McKinsey, just incredible facial expressions that conveyed what she was feeling. She was absolutely fantastic.

• Members

I can only echo these words. I was also young when I watched her on GL, and Alexandra Spaulding, as played by her only, was my favorite character even then. I rooted for her character even when she was being horrible because she was such a full-blooded human being - and we ALWAYS knew her motivations. She made it look so easy.

It was a dream of mine for her to make a triumphant return to daytime. For me, a daytime with Bev McKinsey was a daytime worth preserving. I would watch anything with her in it. I remember what an event it was when she did that guest spot on GH as Myrna Slaughter! Thank God she retired from daytime before it crumbled to its horrible current state. But there was always that childish hope that we'd see her on soaps again, and she'd magically restore it to its former glory, simply by her presence.

But to ask any more of an actress who has given us so much would be criminal. Brava, Ms. Kinsey!

Archived