Melrose Place

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

We ordered Netflix for a couple months specifically to watch the 7th season of Melrose. Now that it's out on DVD, of *course* we'll be getting it to complete our collection... but no rush, since we just watched it and it's the least interesting season of the series.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Oh... my... God.....

I just watched the episode where Michael and Taylor scheme to make Peter think that he has rage epilepsy. Lots of wonderful black/twisted humor as Michael keeps hitting Peter's hand, going a bit overboard, but nothing had prepared me for Taylor begging Michael to hit her and then doing it herself with the door. Dear Lord! A moment worthy of Season 3 and definitely one of the most shocking twists ever.

• Members

Season 5 was interesting in hindsight because it was when they declared they were going to retool the show to make it 'more grounded' again, less insane like the heights (or depths) of Season 4. They introduced Taylor and Kyle, Sam, etc. and unfortunately phased out Kimberly, which I still think was a dire mistake. And the problems didn't end there. They forced the interminable Jake/Alison pairing no one liked and kept it going all year before finally ending it with both actors being simultaneously dismissed. They backburnered Sydney. Yet I did like some of the experimentation at the time. The Amanda/Peter/Taylor/Kyle story worked. Kyle and Syd worked. Even Craig worked at first, kind of. By the end of the season they had gone full-on back to crazy town, with Taylor dressing up like Peter's dead wife and the rage epilepsy madness. That was the end of Taylor being seen as any kind of remotely grounded character - although the embarrassing phone sex interludes with Peter earlier on ("I lust you") didn't help, either. I enjoyed Lisa Rinna as a more comic character in Season 6, and missed her when she left, but Taylor lost something when the storylines went nuts.

It was a terrible mistake to get rid of Marcia and Laura Leighton, and it was foolish not to write Billy out with Alison. Season 6 is easily the worst in the series. It's just awful. I think Season 7 actually restored a lot of the show's glory - particularly when it turned Lexi into a queen bitch - and I think it was much better than 90210 at the time when it went off.

I even liked the revival series. It had its dog plots and couples, as did the original show, but I thought a great deal of it worked, and I thought Katie Cassidy was a star. I was amazed it wasn't renewed, as it was way better than the 90210 revival, with key roles for Amanda and Michael. The only mistake was killing Syd a second time.

• Members

I thought season 4 basically had a lot of great ideas but the ideas were not properly carried out, imho. Case in point, Sydney/Amanda as room mates... totally rife with comic potential but we only were treated to one or two scenes. Another great idea was having Kimberly moving into the very building that she blew up.. yes very unrealistic but still would have been interesting to see her interact with all her victims (case in point, no interaction between Jo and Kimberly.. and I would have loved to have seen some awkward scenes between the two of them given their history).

I noticed that season 4 was the start of isolating characters with little character cross-over. Totally would have been interesting to interact Sydney and Brooke, and what happened to Allison/Jo's friendship? I know they had a falling out after the custody situation but the two had made up.. but season 4 showed Allison/Jane as best friends when before it was Jo/Allison.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Wow, I didn't even think of those lost opportunities, other than the Amanda/Sydney roommates scenario. Definitely could've had some awkward interaction with Kimberly apologizing to Jo for the babynapping. And also could've showcased Alison being caught in the middle of loyalties towards Jo or Jane.

And I'm still not a fan of how they changed Sydney from being a formidable vixen to a cartoonish go-go girl who talks like she's pretending to be mouse.

Edited by Gray Bunny

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Reunion cover, although Michael isn't on there :(

d2d4c9bd86741efb7cc7b11019d82b63

• Members

Im fine with Wagner not being there but Calabro defiently. He's the only glaring ommision from season 1 as they have all the other major original season stars.

Im amazed at how good they all look. They've really aged well

Edited by Cheap21

• Members

Wow, they look amazing! Very surprised we don't see more of Laura Leighton nowadays, but perhaps that's how she prefers it.

I think they have all the right iconic people there EXCEPT Michael Mancini!! The one & only actor there from day one til the series finale. It had to have been a scheduling issue?