Melrose Place

• Members

Regarding the 2.0 reboot, I thought the only character from the original that was written somewhat like the original was Jo. Given all the hell she went through from her four seasons on the show, it would stand to reason she would be cynical and bitter about the world.

Jane, Sydney and Amanda were written way too bitter and unlike their characters on from the original show.

Seeing the spread though, I would love to see a 10 episode follow up (ala Dallas 2012) focusing on some of the old crew mixed in with some newbies.

The one thing missing in 2.0 was the lack of a true community feel that the original show employed in season 1 thru 3.. with declining emphasis in season 4, 5, and 6.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

90210 flourished once it shed most of its ties to the original series, IMO. The difference between a MP sequel series and a 90210 sequel series rests squarely on setting. MP easily lends itself to mixing the old crew in with new characters, while it required some suspended belief to fit Brenda and Kelly into the new 90210. Kelly Taylor, guidance counselor? Really? Get that ish out of here! They should have just made passing references to things from the original series.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

I lost interest in that show once they dumped Kelly, Brenda, Ryan Eggold, Rob Estes and Lori Loughlin.

It was already swiftly moving to terrible before that but it really got bad when they cut all those ties and started blitzing through stories and pairings faster than B&B. A real waste of talent and of a brand. AnnaLynne McCord is great, as is Jessica Stroup, as is the guy playing Navid, as was Tristan Wilds (on The Wire). And Jessica Lowndes is talented, and Matt Lanter is still hot. But the show is a hot mess.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Oh I absolutely think the 90210 revival would've had stronger ratings had Brenda and Kelly been regulars with meaningful stories. They were a big part of many people tuned into that first season. Brenda's return after so many years was pretty heartbreaking. What was the point of it? It was terrible. I think they could've had Brenda, Kelly, Andrea and maybe Steve and Lindsay with some new leading men and a smaller group of teens and you'd have a balanced show that pleases both new and old 90210 fans and you'd have higher ratings. Considering how high 90210 started and where it's at now, that's shameful. ABC Family shows that you can do a teen/adult soap and get good ratings if the quality is good. CW blew their best shot at a true ratings victory.

With Melrose, if it was brought back again I agree that I would bring Lisa Rinna back. I actually think they should've put her in Sydney's place on the original reboot. She's the only character that could've made sense there. She already had the relationship with Michael and also the long lost child. I don't understand why they brought Sydney back from the dead only to immediately kill her. I understand she wasn't their first choice, but it didn't make sense.

• Members

I liked Andrea myself, she was cute and spunky and had great chemistry with Brandon. Andrea died when they went to college and she got pregnant and an awful haircut and the worst cast husband in history. I did like when she returned in season 6 or 7 for a reunion episode. I wouldn't have her in a ton of episodes, but she could be useful. They could've had her as the school principal.

• Members

There was no reason one of those kids could not be Brenda's, either, maybe fobbed off on a relative or adopted, in secret. That is an old, old soap staple. Remember, a weird plot point of that first season was that Kelly had a young son by Dylan, who was a deadbeat dad. It would've ignited that show like wildfire if Kelly discovered one of her students (and one of the regular teen cast) was Brenda's illegitimate son/daughter - also with Dylan, but conceived in the '90s during their time together away from the States.

I thought Jennie Garth in particular had a formidable presence in that early time of the new show, and thought they really fucked her and the two Wilson parents over.

Edited by Vee

• Members

It was a nice little segment. I miss MP. I really do. They all look amazing. Courtney Thorne-Smith said her favorite storyline was when Alison was blind after the explosion. I think Daphne's was Jo's baby being kidnapped by Kimberly. Grant didn't remember anything from MP but liked kissing/working with Daphne the best. I loved Jake and Jo.