Melrose Place

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It's so sad reading this thread and getting excited about Melrose again! I'll never understand that horrible reboot and how wrong those writers were for the show. I don't understand why Darren Star wasn't involved when he's continued to work. Both 90210 and MP 2.0 could've been viable huge brands for CW had they done them right. Melrose especially. Just the thought of killing off Amanda in the pilot shows those writers should've never been hired and whoever greenlit that should be fired as well.

I wonder if anybody will look into this again. It really shocks me that Dallas seems to have done well, yet nobody is trying to reboot anything else. All of the networks seem to have trouble launching new primetime soaps, yet nothing. It's especially shocking that Dynasty hasn't been brought back since Joan Collins remains popular and Revenge is doing well.

• Members

Revenge isn't doing that well. I don't think Dallas has done as well as it was supposed to either, just enough for TNT to keep it on. These shows are tough to bring back because few who are cast in major roles today have that type of star quality. I could give you a list of ten actors who would immediately bring star quality and quirkiness and energy to a primetime soap. And not one of those people would be cast. Not one of them.

No one in the industry today knows what made a primetime soap work. It was energy, characterization, pacing, and sometimes, a little bit of madness, but not always. There was a certain feeling which you just don't have now. Instead you have Jesse Metcalfe staring into space.

• Members

IIRC, they explained Syd's resurrection very flimsily by claiming she'd gone into hiding from that cult from Season 3 with Michael's help. I thought it was stupid to kill her again.

I liked the revival, actually. I thought it was a far better show than the new 90210 and had some fun characters. Katie Cassidy/Ella was a massive star, Lauren was a flawed heroine, Michael was still vital, Amanda was still great. Jessica Lucas and Michael Rady were very talented, but their couple was written dull as dishwater. They also made a mistake, IMO, getting rid of Colin Egglesfield as the brooding chef and, yes, Ashlee Simpson as Syd's crazy daughter. They both worked. But the CW was entranced by 90210, which was a disaster from beginning to end, and didn't give MP a chance.

I remember the original finale, and all the rumors at the time - Kimberly coming back to be Eve's shrink, Natalie, etc. I was just happy that Amanda and Peter were happy, along with Kyle and Jane.

• Members

I wish MP 2.0 would have started with the episode that Amanda came back. Her entrance could have been the beginning of the new series with her instant rivalry with Ella. I absolutely loved Katie Cassidy as Ella and was probably the only person from the new cast that could go toe-to-toe with Heather Locklear and seem viable! I would have enjoyed that and the back-story of why Amanda came out of "hiding" far better as a lead off.

The beginning story surrounding a back-from-the-dead Sydney just to kill her off again as some mystery was a cluster from the get-go. Nobody knew who any of these new apartment dwellers were let alone care if it was one of them that did it. There was no attachment.

The whole first season should have been done backwards from what it was. Have Amanda return first and then add Sydney back half-way through the season. Tie Sydney into the stolen art she kept from Amanda/revealing the fact Michael helped fake her death and they were having an affair again which could build up to her death in the finale episode. By then maybe...and just maybe....people would have been more into the "murder mystery" and care a bit about the characters.

• Members

It was obvious who killed Syd. And I liked the hook of a murder mystery in the pool. But they could've done that much better, as well as have it revealed at the end that Syd had again faked her death and have her resume her duties at the complex.

With Amanda, I loved her on the show but the stolen art plotline was just so lame. Really? Amanda's hung her whole career and fortune on some stolen art she left with Sydney? Never happen.