Melrose Place

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I agree that Jo really suffered as a character through most of season 4. There was one scene near the end of season 4 where she and Jake were talking.. and they talked about why they never could make it work.. and she was preparing to go on a trip of some sort. I would have had that be her exit because she was leaving Melrose for a new start, but then she returned and got involved in a story involving Sydney's friend and her little boy. I will say that Jo's character near the end, did regain some of her former essence until her last scene where she tearfully wondered if she should go with her new boyfriend to Bosnia... even though it had been reported for months that she was leaving the show.

Taylor.. the character was on for two seasons and it felt like it was two different characters. I think season 5 Taylor was written for Hunter Tylo to play until she was fired suddenly for being pregnant. I think Lisa Rinna was an odd choice, but she made that Taylor work very well and it was shame that they turned her character into a cartoon in season 6.. since I think Lisa was up to playing Taylor as written in season 5.

• Members

I have picked back up with season 4 right after Jack died. I'm still enjoying it but their seems to be so much unnecessary conflict like Brooke's dad flipping out when Alison was touching Ms. Armstrong's door and Jake getting mad that Jo was going to Hawaii with Richard not knowing she did not yet know Jane wasn't coming. I understand where the conflict was coming from but it came off bad and lazy to me. Season 4 is kind of hit or miss. I think Season 2 will forever be my favorite.

• Members

Seasons 2 and 3 are my favorite, but in terms of "quality" where there's better characterization and better relationship development between friends and lovers, I'd say 2 is best as 3 is pretty quick-paced. I do love that innocence of Season 1 though, especially once they find their groove when Amanda joins.

Soapfave06, I agree with unnecessary conflicts in season 4, and I *totally* thought the same thing when recently rewatching when Hayley gets mad at Allison for going into his ex-wife's room, like it was some sacred shrine... only to reveal in the very next scene that their marriage was loveless and the room was only there for Brooke's benefit. Made no sense other than to have conflict between 1 commercial break.

And yes, the personality shift in Taylor from season 5 to 6 goes from edgy east coast bitch who's a force to be reckoned with... to a flighty, cartoon dingbat. Despite this drastic personality change, I thought Rinna pulled off both personalities perfectly.

What was everyone's favorite and least favorite versions of Allison Parker? I think Courtney Thorne-Smith is such a dynamic underrated actress. I'm not gonna lie, I love how season 1 is basically The Allison Parker Show. Every nuance of her life was discussed ad nauseum, especially the first half when it was self-contained episodes. Season 3 is Allison at her all-time hot-mess self, being an alcoholic and then a power-bitch in heels as President of D&D. I love how she gets her strength back in season 4 (and my husband LOVES her HAIR in season 4, ha!) but I HATE that she gives up her job so easily and takes a minimum wage waitressing job at Shooters and then gets involved with Jake. Allison was established as being such a determined woman who wanted to make something great of herself; to have her working at Shooters for an entire year was ridiculous IMO.

Edited by Gray Bunny

• Members

If i have to choose the most meatiest season then I would choose season 3. Her alcoholic behavior was in full swing, she had some fun flings with David James Elliott and Brian Bloom, she was head bitch in charge for a short time, and ended the season drinking her sorrows away after witnessing Billy and Brooke marrying.

However, in terms of character stability, I would have to say season 1 and season 2 though she was less whiny in season 2 then in season 1 for sure, imho

Season 5 was like the show had amnesia and forgot that she had been on for 4 previous seasons. I thought she and Jake were an interesting match.. but having them exist in a separate island from the rest of the show hindered both of them.

Edited by Soaplovers

• Members

I had heard about Jake and Jane getting involved and couldn't picture it but now that I have watched it..I still don't know what to think. I didn't like the kiss they had with him falling into the pool with her though. Wasn't feeling it. I was enjoying Jane using Michael and that cliffhanger with her having the stroke was amazing but that excitement died down for me once they pushed her towards Jake.

• Members

im confused by the credits in season 7?? wasn't frank south out by the end of season 5 and Charles pratt jr. and carol mendholson the shows runners the last two seasons, which I enjoyed and felt more like Melrose???

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Kristen Davis was amazing as Brooke but I hated how the character was written. She was written as so weak and so much in need of having to have Billy that it was almost pathetic to me. I liked Brooke when she was at D&D scheming with Amanda against Alison but then it fell apart for me.

I didn't mind Jane and Jake but it seemed like it was very short and then all of a sudden he was off with Alison. I kind of liked Jane's evil side when it was coming out though (setting off the sprinklers at the fashion show was it? Throwing a stone/rock through the window where Jake and Alison were).

Jake and Alison did nothing for me while they were off away from Melrose Place to try and start the other bar/restaurant. It made me not like them as a couple because I just found them boring. Maybe if they had still been living at the complex and had to deal with Jane, Billy, and Amanda it could have given me a reason to root for them.