• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Wow, it took 6 seasons but Andrew Shue finally had a genuinely well-acted scene! (Or, at least, half of it) when Sam announced they were getting married. I laughed my ass off, something which I did a lot of since it seems MELROSE PLACE finally managed to do some humor. And Jamie Luner is just fantastic from the moment she walks in.

• Members

I also loved Jamie Luner. The first few episodes she was kind of quiet but then she really took off.

The show had so many great female characters (even if written poorly now and then). The guys I always found to be so boring in comparison except for Michael.

I like Jack Wagner and Rob Estes but never found them that appealing on MP.

Billy was a dud.

Jake, I never really enjoyed paired with anyone (and that was probably more from the writing).

Matt was a snooze except when he tried to out crazy Kimberly while Michael had "amnesia".

Craig could have been a good business rival for Amanda in the beginning but then that got trashed.

Coop was annoying as all get out!

Sydney is still my fave character.....

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Just finished the last episode and I absolutely loved it. It was a great sendoff for everyone and I liked where they all ended up. The only thing is that I wish we would have at least gotten guest appearances from Billy, Alison, Jake, Jo...any of the still living characters. For example, I think it would have been great for Billy or Alison to have made an appearance at Peter and Amanda's "funeral". Or I would have even loved a montage of the best moments from the show. Still, I would give the finale a solid A.

I'm so sad that I am done with it!!! It seems so hard to believe when I think about how the show changed over time and how event after event just kept happening for SEVEN SEASONS. *sigh* Guess I'll move on to "Dynasty" now...

Thanks Melrose Place for providing such wonderful entertainment. Even in its weak spots, I would still rank it as one of the best primetime soaps ever. In fact, I almost want to go back and watch the best episodes again already!!

• Members

To be honest, most of the cast members at this time were still kind of stuck up about the show and either wanted too much compensation, just wouldn't do it or had scheduling conflicts. Courtney Thorne-Smith (Alison) was pretty much the only cast member who was up to doing a cameo, but she only wanted a non-speaking part but couldn't do it in the end due to her commitments on Ally McBeal, I believe. She was slated to appear in the bar scene where Amanda and Peter dances just before Eve tries to run them over if I remember correctly.

Here are some other concepts that were thrown around according to Charles Pratt Jr:

- An idea that went pretty far, possibly even filmed but cut out, was that Natalie - yes, Natalie, Alison's roommate that left in the first minute of the first episode - was supposed to come back and ask Lexi (Jamie Luner) if she knew where Alison was. It was dropped as it was considered to be too obscure.

- Another idea was to have Eve's (Rena Sofer) last scene having her being taken to a psychiatrist - as she would've entered the office the chair would've swirlved around to reveal none other than the good doctor Kimberley Shaw (Marcia Cross). They apparently even negotiated with Marcia about coming back, but she demanded too much cash.

- The most insane idea, however, was to have a dream sequence/one of the characters (possibly Michael (dream) or Eve (death)) going to Melrose Hell - basically meeting all the dead bad guys in a twisted hellish version of the courtyard. This was scrapped when it became apparent it was going to be too expensive to bring them all back.

They also had a plot planned for bringing back Sydney at the start of season 7 with her having been kidnapped and had her death faked by that millionaire who courted her in season 5 (I forget his name). That idea was scrapped when Laura Leighton suddenly signed to 90210 instead.

Edited by te.

• Members

Damn. Season 7 could have been totally revitalized if Syd were brought back then.

It's too bad the cast at the time were so snobby about the show after they left. Now I'd bet they'd all come back. I mean half of them appeared in the totally wasted reboot.

And could you imagine seeing Kimberly alive at the end? Damn. Would have been amazing.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Here's one of the articles where they talk about the whole thing:

Re: "Melrose Hell"

Re: Kimberly returning:

Re: Sydney returning:

Re: Darren Star about the show's lasting longer:

Re: "character's returning" (the one who was sick was Courtney Thorne-Smith)

http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/4616/lat0524.html

The Natalie scene was indeed filmed apparently:

http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/4616/tvg0528.html

Can't believe The Place is up all these years later! Too bad very few of the images work.

Here's another article about ending the show with Charles Pratt Jr and Carol Mendelsohn plus Homicide's Tom Fontana and Another World's Leah Laiman:

http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/4616/nyt0613.html

Edited by te.

• Members

In all honesty - I have no problem with the finale. I thought it was good in the way that they tied up the loose ends, but left enough things open to speculate about.

I agree with what Darren Star said though - if the show had been handled with more care after he left, it could've gone on for another seven seasons, but a lot of stuff happened to prevent that. I think Heather's pregnancy screwed up season 6 in a major way as they had to start filming earlier and it was obvious that they had no idea what direction to take the season in leaving a lot of loose end plots (Samantha paints a creepy picture! Michael dates a stripper! COOP.). Doug Savant was also signed up to do half the season, but because of commitments they had to write him out in the first episode.

BTW - I'm rewatching season 1 right now and I guess Natalie did come back to check her mail:

10mn685.jpg

Edited by te.

• 2 weeks later...