Melrose Place

• Members

When she first appeared in season 1 as a recurring character, Locklear was credited as a Special Guest Star. Since she quickly became the show's star and allegedley saved it from being cancelled – I personally contribute that circumstance to the additions of Marcia Cross and Laura Leighton and not only to Heather –, Aaron Spelling decided to keep her a "Special Guest Star" to demonstrate her superior status.

Thus, Locklear was the highest-paid actress on the show and this is what caused the show's downfall because in later seasons the other actresses (i.e.. Leighton and Cross) demanded more money. However, they didn't get a raise and subsequently left.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I agree it was all three who brought the show what it needed. I was glad Cross left only because I hated the last storyline Kim had.

I think they absolutely should have given LL whatever she wanted. Especially when you are losing original cast members.

• Members

The forever title of "Special Guest Star" was to list her last, as that was (and still is, sorta) prestigious to be listed last with special billing. Since Melrose always listed their cast alphabetically, they gave Locklear that special title to keep her from being wedged in the middle between Leighton and Savant.

Personally, I think they should've just ditched acknowledging at the start of the credits that the cast is listed alphabetically, and just had Locklear at the end with the "and Heather Locklear as Amanda"

• Members

I love LL but that may be a bit of an overstatement LOL. The arrivals of Jo, Amanda and Sydney, along with Kimberly's bigger presence, definitely took the show towards the right direction, but the writing, pace, tone and format changed along with them (slowly from the second half of season 1 and on, and especially in Season 2). If the writing wasn't there, LL could have done nada lol

• Members

see thats where i disagree, as much as i love Locklear, she came in at a great time when the show was trasitioning! she came in and stirred the alison/billy romance but it was also the time the jane/michael/kimberly and sydney's scemes storylines were heating up with the shows tone shifting to pure soapy goodness that made the last half of the first season enjoyable! i believe spelling was giving her credit from her dynasty days but she was not the lone savior..... it was all of the above!! anyone going back and watching the second season can tell it was a cast effort and darren starr going all the hell out with all the characters, can simply see this!! YES, locklear helped but, she wasnt the only reason to watch!! the third season says it all!! i was much more into kimberly and sydney than anyother characters and kimberly gave us one of the best season finale cliffhangers EVER with her getting to blow the residents of melrose place away! no season finale in the series run beats season 3 imo!!!

• Members

I think Locklear's presence definitely brought a spotlight to the show that wasn't there before. The Amanda/Billy/Alison triangle of Season One is what finally got the show off the ground. It was the "A" story, whereas Jo/Jake and eventually Jane/Michael/Kimberly were the "B" stories (Rhonda's story with Terrence was an afterthought).

Things then skyrocketed in Season Two once all the stories started to gel and the whole ensemble was strong.

Edited by Gray Bunny

• 4 weeks later...