Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I forgive them for this for two reasons (1) It is the only way to set up a Cruz and Kelly pairing, which I don't endorse, but at least it lays the groundwork for how those two could have hooked up (2) I think Kelly/Eden conflict should've driven drama on the show from the beginning.  I could see where Kelly would be sick of Eden trying to suck up to CC, and take Channing's place, after partying in Europe, and immediately finding true love, while the loves of Kelly's life were either going to jail, being shot, becoming serial killers, or had major Mommy issues.

• Members

When they wrote the character of Joe Perkins out, did they just basically give his character type and stories to Cruz? It seemed like in the first few weeks, they were building Joe up to being the action/adventure character, the one who'd become the detective and investigate mysteries.

I wonder how much of what they wrote for Cruz and Eden was originally intended for Kelly and Joe. 

• Members

I know that I should not admit this in public, but Sasha in the freezer is making me laugh. It wouldn’t have worked for other characters, but Mason and Julia are making me laugh. Terry L is growing on me. He still isn't my idea if Mason, but he's growing on me.

I'm not sure that any of it was meant for Joe. Cruz became a Fed very early on the shoe. I remember that he was an oil worker, but went home to call his contact. 

Joe was doing the research for one reason: to clear his name. He didn't really seem to have a burning passion for investigating. He just wanted the world to stop thinking he was a killer. And he wanted Kelly. I think he would have had a So what do I do next moment if he had lived. He essentially went from high school to prison. Did hewant to follow in his dad's footsteps, let CC help, go to college for something? I don't think anyone knew the answer to that.

• Members

I didn't mind Terry L, he just has a comfortable presence on screen. 

However I will say- I started watching SB late in its run, like 1991. I was a teenager- the only Mason I ever knew was GT and I really liked him. 

However, now that I have watched LD throughout his entire run on the show, at least 2x- I find GT much harder to take. He just couldn't pull of the vulnerability and warmth that LD could. Maybe if I watch it straight through he will grow on me again. 

But I'm still mired in 1988. Almost done and then I may take a month off or so before getting back to where I was in 1989.

• Members

Terry Lester's exit story from SOD is one for the history books.

He was recruited from Y&R because he had been unhappy with the show's focus on other characters like Cricket, and at the same time it became untenable for the show to keep writing stories for Mason given Lane Davis's contractual outs every summer so that he could pursue theater. 

So, they hire TL and do a huge promotional push to launch the recasting.  He signed a one-year contract and the writing team wrote for him consistently.  However, after a year his agent called and said that SB producers had not contacted his office to renegotiate his offer.  They waited a week, presumably called the production team, and were willing to renegotiate a new contract.  However, on Friday when the team had not responded, his agent instructed him to pack up his dressing and leave.  Which is why not only did they have to hire GT at a higher rate, given his primetime status, but they had to switch Mason's mid-scene, because TL had left before the scene was completed.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Didn't they introduce Gordon Thompson two different ways, though? One mid-scene, and one in another completely different one? In fact, they did. We can watch it here (owner won't allow embedding). It seems like some regions (especially in America) got a Friday change, while on Monday, due to tape delay, they got the other swap.

• Members

I think the show did the mid scene switch to be cute/edgy as opposed to Terry not finishing the scene. In our region, we didn’t get the version where someone punched Mason and he fell down as Lester and got up as Thomson.

I’d love to know what happened behind the scenes. Terry Lester was very good and miles ahead of one-note Gordon Thomson (I never cared for his breathy line delivery). But there must have been a reason they didn’t rush to renew him.

• Members

The episodes I have are TL going upstairs, GT coming down. But I have not seen all of the episodes yet. 

I just came here because I'm watching a scene with a blackout. Everyone is gathered around the radio listening to a newscast about it. I don't know if that happens in other places. It never happens where I live. We just see two flickers and then the third is total blackout. Then everyone just thinks, well someone ran into a transponder again. There might be a line during the weather of, 450,000 people without power. But it's just a blip.