Psycho soap fans

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In 2002, Guiding Light decided to kill off Richard Winslow, which ENRAGED the RASSIE (Richard/Cassie) fan base. During the week of Richard's death and Rick's heart transplant, there was supposed to be an on-air PSA by one of the national organ donor organizations (can't remember which). Some of the Rassie fans called in to the organization saying that the show was taking major storyline liberties and was making a complete disgrace of the story. (FWIW, the show *was* taking a little liberty in some of the pre-death scenes for Richard. The center, believing that the fans were aghast about the story, decided to cancel the PSA. However, when word got out, the more rational GL fans flooded the organization with calls. The organization then went ahead and allowed the promotion to be aired.

Now, not to say that that storyline was the most accurate in soap history, and it's one thing to complain about a story (I do.). But these fans attempted to cancel a PSA that could have saved lives. Nutcases.

• Members

There are always psycho fans. In every fanbase. No exceptions. Belive me, there are a select few that are "in" one of mine that piss me off.

Well, that's kind of ... well, half wrong. I'm pretty sure I speak for most fans of DAYS when I say that all we want is the characters, couples and families written in character. If they were, that would fix everything because of the drama itself. The ideal scenario IMO would be to bring on a writer that most fans loved (Sheri Anderson was popular, I know some liked Anne Shoettle and Richard Allan), pair them with someone new to Daytime, with fresh ideas.

Another one with the death threats? Geez. That's just so sad.

God, I mean, seriously... it's just a hobby. It's fun, it's addictive to debate, but the show is still just a show.

Sometimes when reading the internet, I fear for the human kind.

• Members

I think a lot of times fans generalize and say it's an entire fanbase who are psycho, but it's not always the case. It's a select few who make the entire fanbase look bad and send the wrong message. There are some really nice soap fans out there, it's just a select few who cross the line and take it above and beyond fandom. I've done some crazy stuff in my time as being a fan, but I'm far from psycho - okay maybe a little crazy :wacko: but so not out there like some I've come across. The stories that have been passed around between GH fans are astounding and you probably wouldn't believe me if I told you some of them. You cannot make this stuff up!

It is bizarre, and I don't know where some of these fans get this stuff from but they've done it, even though they don't care to admit it and will deny it up and down they didn't. The actors even know how some of these fans are, they are warned by other actors not to get too close because soon enough the fan(s) will become a serious problem. Fan reputations are talked about, even with the actors.

• Members

As a Rebecca fan :D I certainly do not expect that she would be excused from hate mail after being with this show over ten years I'm sure this isn't her first round

I've heard of it in my years of watching this genre... I have never written any "hate mail to an actor" even though I realize this is the norm of the sick and the twisted...it still does not excuse the fact these are individuals in need of deep therapy

All I'm saying it may be better served to send it to those who "are responsible for storyline development" since actors are not its illogical to send it to them...in other words use a brain cell.

just because twisted acts are done doesn't mean its ok to :) accept it since it is the status quo

jmo...I don't do Soap 101 - in the Romper Room

2949073180101759456S500x500Q85.jpg

• Members

As an person, I could give a damn about her. I don't care either way. As an actress, she bores the hell out of me. I just think who cares? Whatever they say, who cares? It shouldn't affect how crappy a job she does.

I think there are degrees of craziness. Passions' fans are mentally insane. Days fans, well it's been a while since I've been a part of anything with them, but I do remember some strong stuff coming from them.

GH fans? They can get psycho, like really psycho. Mostly, just the fans of certain couples that have a Jason or a Sonny in them, but yea, they can get psycho, overly so.

The JoWars were terrible though, especially with all of the racially activated crap a lot of the fans were spewing. Quite a bit of that transferred to the Cringe/Tangie/T&B quad, but I think it was at its worst during the JoWars (luckily, I skipped out on that).

• Members

I'm pretty sure Sarah already has haters for her new character, and throwbacks for her time as Carly. (Lest we forget the crap she got when she was on ATWT, equally bad I would say--possibly more), but she moved on from it. I am one of her biggest fans and it doesn't phase me one bit.

There are crazy people out there, and much more important things to worry about than some usually empty threats from people with too much time on their hands.

• Members

Tell that to Drake Hogestyn or other actors who have been stalked and hired bodyguards, like Maurice Benard, among others.

Yes there are many out there who too much time on their hands and can't tell reality from fiction sometimes, but it only takes one to cause real problems for these actors.

Jen

• Members

And I would say that not even the majority of psycho fans do any of that. Moreover, I said USUALLY empty threats. I'm not discarding the ones that can be real. But if actors expend energy worrying about everything that they get, then they'll probably waste half their lifetimes.

It's more worth it to move on than, or move out of the industry.

Archived