2008: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OK, I'm wondering how far Janice Ferri Esser's role in Y&R's long-term stories stretches. Is her role strictly editing dialogue after Beth Milstein, or does she too help with the layout?

Y&R's embrace of its history these past few weeks goes deeper than the dialogue, there's a good amount of historically rich situations that seem to work way their way into some of the breakdowns.

A lot of her "fingerprints" seem to be all over Y&R at the moment. She might not have written the best scripts at B&B, but Y&R is definitely HER show.

I assume now that she's credited everyday, Janice is much more involved with the show/stories.

• Members

Accoding to someone I know who knows, Esser's involvement is strictly with scripts and (limited) editing. Her imprint is felt more of late because she's editing scenes where a lot of Y&R history comes into play. She's not doing long term, though she may make the occasional suggestion. And she's definitely not laying out shows.

• Administrator

Janice wasn't credited under Beth today, so I guess she only edited the funeral episodes. But yeah, I don't think it's a coincidence that once Janice came back, there's all these historical references, and most of them are in her scripts.

• Members

^I think she's going on a self-imposed exhile from the industry again. Prior to the year or so she came to DAYS under Ed Scott, she was doing nothing. I think she's back to that.

Though, it is kind of strange that Mike Denney came back, and she didn't follow. Though, I heard that Maria personally called Mike and asked him to come back, I don't know if she did the same with Kathryn.

• Administrator

I don't know. Nothing's really stood out, good or bad, about Cydney. But to be fair, there hasn't been any great pieces of dialogue ever since Dena officially took over. There hasn't been anything that the SWs could sink their teeth into. Off the top of my head, the last great piece of dialogue was with John/Marlena in the hospital, right after they found him alive. It was on January 16 and the script was written by Judith Donato.

• Members

I thought that with both Tomlin and Whitesell at DAYS, we would be getting some campy goodness by now, but no. The show is extremely boring, the storylines make me roll my eyes, and the new characters (well, Melanie) are poorly developed, uninteresting, and shoved down our throats.

It must show the type of power Dena really has at DAYS if Tomlin and Whitesell haven't been able camp it up as of yet.

Archived