2008: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

And I'm laughing with him. That's what Ken gets for backstabbing Reilly when Reilly got DAYS back to #2. DAYS was high the ratings, high the key demos and yet Ken wanted Reilly gone. That's what you get Corday! You mismanaged your show! I love it that Jim is having the last laugh over that idiot.

• Members

Someone mentioned that TV Guide did a story on both DAYS and Y&R and the contrasts between the two shows in the two articles were evident. They talked about still paying JER off, the pay cuts, budget issues, and growing lack of morale on the DAYS set. In the Y&R article, they talked about the show making it 20 years at #1, the high morale on set these days, and also talked about some RESEARCH they did that claimed their audience wanted romance, the CHARACTERS they loved, and HIGH production values.

• Members

Cherrill was the script editor on OLTL under Malone/Griffith: Take Two. (Leslie Nipkow replaced him when Dena Higley became head writer)

I don't know what that's worth, but if you thought the continuity and dialogue were all right during those years (I know many had issues with the stories, but I'm just talking about dialogue and continuity), then yeah - you'll think he's a good addition.

• Members

His contract was likely a "play or pay" deal. This means that either they "play" him, as in he writes the show and gets paid for it or they "pay" him for doing nothing at all for however long the contract runs for, in JER's case multi year. JER also didn't have any cycles in his contract, his contract runs till it's over.

It's the best kind of contract. When written properly it's ironclad.

• Members

That Reilly contract, from what I understand, has long been considered the Holy Grail of daytime contracts. Nobody's gotten it before, and nobody will get it after. It was a once in a lifetime "You want my client back? Then you'll pay for it" kinda deal. Nobody will ever sign for anything like that again.

Not quite sure how it works now, post-mortem (not to be macabre).

Archived