2008: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Bugler and Taylor, yes. ;) Cohen and Hall, hell to the naw! :angry: The latter two women at least make an attempt to write for character and add some emotional depth to the dialogue. Bugler and Taylor, on the other hand, essentially write from the breakdown with little to absolutely no nuance and confusing, redundant dialogue. And don't ever give Bugler a scene where more than two characters are speaking -- such as a Fusion scene. Oh, dear GAWD! :rolleyes:

But considering you're a Beall Lover, Robert... I understand. ;)

• Administrator

They chose not to renew her contract? What??? She has about 22 years of history with AMC and I've never heard anything bad about her. Wow, I wonder what happened between her and B&E or JHC if what you're saying is true. I thought for sure she left on her own.

Her last episode aired in mid-October so she must've left sometime in August.

• Members

B&E and JHC probably didn't get along with her because she knew and respected the history of the show.

How could they let one of their best scriptwriters go and keep Courtney Bugler and Rebecca Taylor? I hope they have enough sense to keep Kate Hall whenever the strike ends.

Too bad B&E went Fi-Core. I have no hope for AMC showing any improvement in the near future (but I will tune in to see Debbi & Darnell's returns).

• Members

I'm pretty sure Karen Lewis left on her own.

From what I had heard, she was going to *retire* in the summer of '05, but Megan McTavish convinced her to stay for a while longer and she signed a new deal.

I'm assuming her contract expired this August and she decided to leave then.

She wrote faithfully for daytime since 1985 (with one break between her ATWT and second AMC stint from 00-01). From what I know, she was indepedently wealthy before she even started writing for soaps. She worked hard, and I think she should enjoy her retirement!

• Members

Frankly, I am surprised that B&E didn't go Fi-Core when the strike started.

B&E are at the end of their careers. JHB is pushing 60, and BE is 71, if I'm not mistaken. They really aren't doing AMC for the money, and once their stint at this show is up, I'm sure they'll slink quietly into retirement. They're not some up-and-coming hot newbies that will suffer b/c they resigned from the guild; they're towards the end of their careers, and they really have nothing really to lose.

In fact, I'd say they were worried that they were going to get canned (thanks to force majeure), and that's one of the reasons they went to Fi-Core at the end of December.

Frankly, I'm not upset that B&E are Fi-Core because...

a). They are already the HWs! I think their AMC is painfully boring, and dull, and there is no character balance (which is maddening), but unlike many others, I don't think they're destroying the show. I don't think their material is nearly as offensive or sick or twisted or damaging to history as Megan McTavish's was -- they're just lame writers!

B). I hate scabs and don't trust them. Unlike most others, I think scabs will end up doing a lot more damage to the soaps than the writers they have replaced. And I won't be won over by so-called "improvements" that people notice in the first week or two.

c). Their Fi-Core status is not a reflection of their job security. For all we know, Frons wanted to get rid of them during FM time, and now will just have to wait...until after the strike.

(I actually think B&E's fate will rest in how the 'big returns' and big new storylines shape up. If the ratings are still dismal after the Williams/Morgan/Budig/Van Peebles storylines kick off, I think they'll be goners...)

Archived