ALL: Would you accept a "straight" character coming out late in life?

• Members

I know people get tired of seeing stories of cute, teenage boys coming out. The "late-in-life" coming out story is something the soaps have really never attempted seriously, and certainly not with a longtime character. (Katherine Chancellor's aborted lesbian affair on Y&R was before my time. But the keyword there is aborted.) But three primetime series have recently told such stories.

* BROTHERS AND SISTERS: After his old same-sex fling came back to haunt him, Saul recently admitted to his sister Nora he fell in love with a man.

* NIP/TUCK: Joely Richardson's character Julia has embarked on a lesbian love affair with a character played by Portia de Rossi.

* THE STREET: This BBC drama had an episode about a "straight" demolition man who has sex with another man while working away from home on a project. But when his folks back home learn about the affair, he has to deal with the homophobic fallout.

So that brings me to my question:

Would you accept a longtime character, heretofore known as "straight," developing same-sex feelings?

I highly doubt TPTB would risk such a story in the current soap landscape. They're too chickenshit. They'd fear that they'd forever taint their romantic heroes and heroines by making their sexuality questionable. They never consider the converse argument, that making a character's orientation less black-and-white might make them more intriguing.

Still, I'm interested in what people have to say. I have a feeling that many fans would call it "re-writing history." Of course, TAD MARTIN couldn't be bisexual: he's dated women ALL HIS LIFE. No way would CARLY TENNEY have a lesbian fling: she like-a da pinga too much. But if we're using the widely accepted idea that sexuality is a spectrum, then why not? And maybe they've had same-sex affairs before - who knows what characters have been up to before they turn up on our screens?

So what do you think? And which longtime character would be most prime for such a story?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I accidentally posted this under the "Gay Sandwich" topic. (Never thought I'd type those words. HAH!)

I think the biggest problem with late-in-life-dabbling on the soaps is that we have SEEN most of these vets every day for the last 15-20 (and many times, twenty-plus) years. And we've seen them IN LOVE and IN THE BEDROOM. So the fans would see it as a blatant history rewrite.

That being said, something like Kim Hughes' college roommate showing up in town, and we find out Kim experimented in college or something (this is a ridiculously extreme example, and I don't really want to see it, but you get my drift) IF TOLD CORRECTLY could be a fascinating story. But it would have to be VERY carefully told, and I'm not sure there's any writer in daytime right now (or any EP/network, I should say) that could tackle it respectfully. Otherwise, the fans would completely revolt and it would turn into probably one of the bigger bombs on daytime.

Interesting topic...

• Members

You know, I was just getting ready to say that I cauldn't see it working under most circumstances or by most writers, and that I thought most viewers would not accept it. And then I saw this comment. And you are completely and totally right. That is one huge exception.

• Members

It wasn't really later in life, but after several failed attempts at giving him a female love interest Lucas finally came out as gay on GH. I would love to see a character like Jake Martin come out on AMC, or Joey Buchanan on OLTL come out. It would make things lots more interesting and reboot some characters.

• Members

It happens in real life, so it could happen on a soap. I'm not suggesting this, but a good example could be Paul on Y&R. His family is deeply religious (like most old school Y&R characters), so that would be a reason he'd his his sexuality at all costs. Even his brother is a priest.

The new Chris Hughes on ATWT is as camp as a row of tents. I could totally see him being gay and it would fit into this mold. We haven't seen him in very serious relationships and the current Chris just isn't believable with women. I'd prefer a more macho man to come out though. That's something rare on soaps.

• Members

I think it's interesting that the oblivious soap press makes no mention of Susan Flannery's recent evolution in demeanor. In a genre all about very clear heterosexual archetypes, she gives the most unfeminine portrayal of one. Of course any equation of gender and sexuality can be different than what we expect, but the identifiers for a soap opera are so defined that I'm surprised Brad Bell hasn't taken note and made changes by now.

• Members

yes. i think it would be a great storyline. it could really work with someone is on and off on the show or someone who left for some time and come back because that leaves a gap of time we dont know what happend. Bill Lewis on GL. Philip or Max on Days. Joey on OLTL. id also like to see a steight guy start to have feelings or be attracted to another guy.

• Members

Count me among them, Faulkner.

I don't have a problem, per se, with coming-out stories. The Bible and "the Church" have their views on homosexuality - and as a candidate for confirmation into the Catholic church, I feel I should respect that; but, like it or not, it is reality, and soaps, like every other form of scripted entertainment, should reflect that.

That said, however, I get bored with each new tale of this sort, b/c it's almost always the same tale, told over and over again. There are minor variations with each new version, of course, but the basic arc is the same: sensitive-but-otherwise-well-adjusted teen realizes why he (or she, in the case of AMC's Bianca - but usually, it's a he) has always felt "different" from everyone else; his parents react to his announcement either with hysterical denial or flat-out scorn; he is ostracized by one parent or the other (and later, depending on the story, by others within the community); his family even threatens, at one point, to come undone by this turn of events; but a series of near-tragic circumstances ultimately brings the reluctant parent around, and helps the community-at-large realize what kind of hypocritical, narrow-minded bigots they really are.

Then, in most cases, that teen leaves town within six months, and is never seen or heard from again. (By the way, where is Billy Douglas, lol?) Thank God, however, for ATWT's Luke and Noah, b/c I wasn't ready to say goodbye to Lily's son.

As you have intimated, that's due to fear on the part of network execs and sponsors, for two reasons:

1) Homosexuality, in and of itself, is bound to alienate some viewers, and TPTB are ruled too much by financial concerns to risk that. (Honestly, someone at Televest must've been asleep at the wheel to let Luke-is-gay go on w/o some kind of fight, lol.)

2) If the character in question is someone the audience has known and loved for years, TPTB fear, the audience, including those who otherwise wouldn't mind a coming-out story, will tune out b/c, to quote Marland, "He wouldn't do that." (I mean, characters these days are doing all sorts of things that are illogical, but...well, you know what I mean.)

Would I, lol!?

Just as it was a dream, if you will, of Agnes Nixon's to have someone like Bianca, the front-burner offspring of a legacy/core character, come out of the closet, it is a dream of mine to see the same happen for someone whom most see as a pillar of the community.

Yup, lol.

Exactly - and as you, yourself, have said:

Now, here's where I might get into some trouble, lol.

I have one character in mind who...might be a little shocking to some. In fact, it'll be very shocking, lol.

It's ATWT's Dr. Bob Hughes.

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Nov 28 2007, 06:54 PM)
It happens in real life, so it could happen on a soap. I'm not suggesting this, but a good example could be Paul on Y&R. His family is deeply religious (like most old school Y&R characters), so that would be a reason he'd his his sexuality at all costs. Even his brother is a priest.

The new Chris Hughes on ATWT is as camp as a row of tents. I could totally see him being gay and it would fit into this mold. We haven't seen him in very serious relationships and the current Chris just isn't believable with women. I'd prefer a more macho man to come out though. That's something rare on soaps.

I have gotten the gay vibe from Chris since day 1. The same goes with Evan Walsh.

:lol: He should have made a play for Cal Stricklyn. :lol:

Archived