ALL: Would you accept a "straight" character coming out late in life?

• Members

I could accept it. It would be harder with an existing character but it depends on the character. A new character whose older would be easy because we don't know their life. Since there are so few gay characters on soaps, we have to assume these towns are pretty repressed so there are surely some Ted Haggards, Larry Craigs or Trent Lotts in the bunch. :P

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Nov 28 2007, 07:54 PM)
It happens in real life, so it could happen on a soap. I'm not suggesting this, but a good example could be Paul on Y&R. His family is deeply religious (like most old school Y&R characters), so that would be a reason he'd his his sexuality at all costs. Even his brother is a priest.

The new Chris Hughes on ATWT is as camp as a row of tents. I could totally see him being gay and it would fit into this mold. We haven't seen him in very serious relationships and the current Chris just isn't believable with women. I'd prefer a more macho man to come out though. That's something rare on soaps.

I'd like to see the more macho fella coming out as well, or at least be bisexual. Most of the time it's always the more campy type of guys (like Luke and Noah IMO) being revealed as gay/bi. A male character that I would like to see at the very least having a homosexual fling would be Y&R's Nick Newman! Now I get that Nick has always been presented as all around straight but I can see him being so conflicted and distracted between Phyllis and Sharon that he actually goes for this. Some hot guy breezes into town and befriends Nick. Phyllis and Sharon have been going at it yet again and Nick is tired and overwhelmed by it. Nick and his new hot buddy become the best of close friends when one day the hot guy decides to plant a kiss on Nick's sexy, huge lips (OH THOSE LIPS) and much to Nick's surprise, he responds to it. LOL! I think a bisexual version of Nick Newman would be hot!

• Members

You know what, I actually thought at the time that TPTB were implying that they were going to try something with Josh and Zoe/Zarf. Josh inexplicably asked Zoe to move in with him because Zoe's life was in danger at the time. They could've easily found Zoe a safe place to live but they chose to have her sharing space with the town hunk! Strangely, even long after the danger had passed, Zoe STILL remained living comfortably with Josh. She never said anything about moving out and neither did Josh! LOL! The added bonus to this would've definitely been Erica's reaction.

• Members

As long as the character wasn't married with kids, I'd accept it.

In real life I feel the same. I think its extremely selfish of someone to know they are gay yet choose to get married and have a family anyway. They know that eventually the truth will come out (no pun intended) and that their family will be hurt and embarrassed by the deceit, yet they don't care.

These are the ones that lurk in seedy chat rooms or dark bars to satisfy their "hunger" while the wife/husband is at home with the kids oblivious of the fact that their storybook romance is a sham.

• Members

I agree with you these days. But I think for the previous generation when homosexuality was stigmatised, ignored or even illegal, confusion would only be natural. Or at the very least resignation as in the 50s and 60s many people saw it as a perversion that could be cured by simply trying hard to be straight. That's why the story would work well with an established older character in my eyes.

Obviously now some of us are more enlightened and it's rare to believe that you can "straighten yourself out" any more.

• Members

But, wouldn't you say that that was the mark of someone who came from an abusive and dysfunctional environment?

I don't think it's a matter of not caring, but a fear that that individual will be treated harshly by society for being "unconventional." That's especially true, as JamesF pointed out, for those who came of age in the 1950's and '60's, when men and women were expected to settle down, marry (someone of the opposite sex) and raise a family. Even today, in these supposedly more liberal-minded and tolerant times, many people, both young and old(er), don't come out of the closet, b/c they are unsure of how their immediate circle will respond.

• Members

I'm surprised soaps haven't preferred to go the bisexual route, instead of gay. Take ATWT. If Noah had been bisexual, there could have been a great ongoing triangle with Luke/Noah/Maddie. The story could have spun out in several directions: blackmail, Pregnancy, etc. Instead , Noah says he's gay, and the story becomes boring. I also have to agree that there would be more tension if an established character gradually came out. ON ATWT, it's as obvious as, ahem, a martini olive.

• Members

Henry Coleman not gay? Oh, honey. Whatever you're drinking, save some for Christmas Eve.

IIRC, there was a rumor that Hogan Sheffer wanted to "out" someone who was well-established on the ATWT canvas, but higher-ups (meaning, P&G/MADD) nixed the idea. The details, as related, were very sketchy, but it seemed to suggest he intended the story either for Holden or for Tom.

Archived