The Tennis Thread

• Members

Leonardo Mayer was definitely the weak link in the doubles, from what I saw today. I question the wisdom of putting in Juan Martin in a match that heavily favored the Croatians in the first place when it ensures that DelPo will be playing three days in a row.

I guess since it's the final Argentina felt that had to risk it. (shrugs).

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Amen!

I'm no longer really interested in tennis, and I used to love watching it. I think the mid- to late 90s was the last era I really enjoyed. More charismatic players, and also players with more variation in style. Sampras, Agassi, Kuerten, Chang, Rafter, Ivanisevic, Muster, Moya, and among the women we had of course Queen Steffi! 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Did anyone see the Davis Cup final though?! The crowd was insufferable but the tennis was absolutely riveting!

It must be crushing for Croatia to lose at home but I was so happy for Argentina and especially Juan Martin del Potro because this is their first ever Davis Cup, after 5 Finals!

Please register in order to view this content

Congrats to them.

It's especially amazing given Delbonis' clutch straight sets demolition of Karlovic and the fact that this time last year, Del Potro was still uncertain of how much of a future he'd have in tennis but he wanted to give it a go.

I guess you also saw it, LOL. Amazing! These guys played with such heart. I read that this was the 1st time that DelPo had come back from 0-2 sets to win!

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Borna got the injury during the Cincy tourney right before the US Open. He pulled out of the Cincy tourney either in the QF or SF round and then played the US Open but lost early due to his injury. I believe he played one or two tourneys after that but hasn't been seen since.

• Members

Not a surprise actually. Becker had been missing at several Tour events. I mentioned to someone that Djokovic's Spanish meditation guru was seen in his box several times in a prominent place, and wondered what would that mean for Becker. I guess I got my answer. Djokovic posted his statement on FB but here's Becker's thoughts on the split:

Boris Becker says Novak Djokovic wasn't practising as hard over past six months

Actually, there's been a coaching carousel in the last week and a half.

Kvitova and Pliskova switched coaches.  Milos Raonic parted ways with Carlos Moya. Madison Keys, we all know about already and Anne Keothavong takes over the Great Britain Fed Cup team from Judy Murray.