Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Oh no, in my circle, plenty of people have mentioned those U.S. Open ratings! On the Women's side, I assume you mean the Finals because didn't Serena make it to the SFs?  To be fair, Stan beating Novak did make the Men's Final somewhat interesting.

Please register in order to view this content

This WTF, people have told me that the Doubles have made for the most interesting matches.

But there's always the exho season, right?  

@FaulknerI read that Monica (never takes the medal from around her neck) Puig is going to play an exhibition in Puerto Rico against Meldonium Dopapova. Sorry, that's mean but I couldn't resist!

This happened today.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I use to be a fan of Maria but not anymore. I hardly missed her or the shrieking.....

Both finals were in the 1.s in HH ratings....even Days gets higher ratings than that.....LOL.  The men's final had a 1.1 rating. I do agree that it was great seeing Stan beat Novak. I love Stan's game but again the guy like many of the tennis players has zero personality....LOL.  I don't recall what the women's final ratings was.

• Members

Speaking of tennis and politics, really interesting blog post on both, and why one ardent tennis fan cannot support certain American ATP players.

Post-Trump Tennis Fandom

Thiem is certainly talented but I've noticed during this tournament that Dominic seems to have this 2nd set lapse, where he either loses his way or fades a bit. I don't know whether this has been an ongoing issue or whether it just happened  since this tournament.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Very interesting piece. I haven't liked American male players since Agassi. They do have a smug, insular, entitled quality. I once had a soft spot for Stevie Johnson since he seemed like an unassuming guy on court, but once he started whining about DelPotro's much-deserved wild card at the USO, it was over. And I can't even rally around the Bryan brothers either in doubles.

Hopefully, Tiafoe and Mmoh will live up to their potential and give tennis fans people to root for.

• Members

I hope that Tiafoe and Mmoh will do their best to be multi-surface, multi-dimensional players instead of one-dimensional forehand/serve players like Isner.

Tiafoe is being coached by Jose Higueras (I think) who used to coach Jim Courier and Higueras ran the FL component of the USTA for a few years and I think he oversaw the installation of several clay courts there so I hope this means that Frances will get more experience on clay than the previous generation of American ATP players. Hopefully Mmoh will embrace the clay as well.

Because of all the clay courts that Higueras had installed, I no longer think that it's critical to go to Spain like they used to do but the previous generation definitely should have gone to Spain and spent some time training on the clay. Donald Young, for example probably would've benefited from developing a clay game with his skill-set but he didn't want to leave Mommy and Daddy.