The Tennis Thread

• Members

After his loss last night against DelPo

Reporter: Did you ever get an answer to your complaint about the wild card situation and DelPo?

Steve Johnson(upset and angry): That's a stupid question

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL….he said that twice to the reporter and Jim Courier :rolleyes: defended him and said that Johnson didn't say that Delpo never deserved it…..Lies….Lies Jim……even Courier was complaining about DelPo getting the wild card. Jim talked about how competitive the match was….um it wasn't Jim……Del Po beat him in straight sets….LOL

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Same here. He still uses the f word on court a lot and it can be heard on court and on tv. He needs his mouth washed with soap. I was bummed about Delpo last night but he totally ran out of gas. I hope anyone but Novak wins. I can't stand Novak either and I don't want him winning this. The tournament was so good up until Tuesday of this week….and I am referring to the men's side of the draw. I was hoping that Delpo would have won it all.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

Don't you mean Djovak Novikic?  LMAO, some ESPN baseball broadcaster called him that yesterday!:lol:  So Novak took 2 Medical Timeouts to get what basically looked like a pedicure yet John McEnroe criticized Monfils for being unprofessional for junk-balling Novak in the first set of their SF match (a tactic that got Gael three additional games)?? Let's face it, Monfils or no Monfils, most of Nolé's matches have a bizarre aura about them. Case in point, this Men's Final!

Congratulations to Stan, even though he can't take his girlfriend Donna Vekic out for a drink to celebrate (until the return to Europe):ph34r: but he saved us from having to endure another chest thumping, shirt-ripping, pec-cupping, strange celebration from Djokovic!

Congrats to one of my favorite Junior players to watch Felix Auger-Aliassime of Canada who is the youngest Boy's Champion in Canadian history after winning the Boy's title at the US Open. Congrats to Kayla Day of the U.S. as well, who won the Girl's Title. I believe she actually won one round in the Women's Main Draw before getting knocked out and entering the Girl's tournament.

It's been a very strange year for tennis in every way, so it made a bizarre kind of  sense to end at a tournament where neither number 1 actually won the title. Not happy about Serena but she's already great, has 22 Majors, nothing to prove to anyone and will probably reclaim the #1 ranking again sometime soon.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

This article crystallizes why I think some tennis fans were being silly for boo-hooing Monfils in the SF and why John McEnroe (a man who did blow during his pro career and was defaulted from the Australian Open for destroying a TV camera in anger because he was losing a match) was unwarranted for calling Monfils unprofessional.  

The idea that there is only one way to win a match is a stupid one. I once read an interview where Arthur Ashe (humanitarian and probably the most respected man in tennis lore) spoke of how he 'junk-balled' Connors every way he could, never giving him the same ball twice in a row, (which drove Connors crazy) to win his 1975 Wimbledon title. Connors might have hated it but I defy anyone to try to claim that Ashe's win was not legitimate. It was effective and it did the job. I supposed, had Monfils won, perhaps the criticism(s) might have been muted. 

Folks need to make up their minds, do they want a clown prince or do they want someone who is going to try to win, even if that means he won't be the Monfils you expect him to be?

IN DEFENSE OF MONFILS

Personally, I don't think Monfils did anything to defend. He played a match and dared to not to treat it as if it were life or death. Folks need to get over themselves.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I caught the ESPN broadcaster….I thought idiot and changed the channel…..LOL.  Novak was stalling for time. He was using sneaky tactics and I am glad Stan called him out on it.  I couldn't take seeing Novak rip that shirt to see that awful chest of his if he won…..LOL. I thought this was one of the better US Open's on the men side with all of the 4 minus Joker in the finals and he only made it there due to so many walkovers. 

I believe Jim Courier mentioned the Candian player Aliassime. Courier said he was the player to watch in the future because he had such a great game. Of course I won't drink the kool aid until I see his game. You know how they love to pimp average players…LOL

Back to Novak….I noticed his younger brother Jordi was there. Gawd does he look like a better version of Novak….LOL   Supposedly his game is also much better than Nole. I wonder why he hasn't broken into the tour? I think I read where Nole wasn't helping his brother out where the tour was concerned. Maybe its pure brother rivalry …..

Jordi reminds me of Borna Coric….just look at the resemblance…...

Which is which…..LOL

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

Now that you mention Djorde (I think that's his name-LOL), I just got the impression that neither of Novak's younger brothers were as good. One dropped tennis pretty early on and the other, I guess got weary of losing on the Challenger circuit. People were also complaining that he was getting constant wildcards because of his connections to Novak.

I also remember reading an interview Novak's father did earlier this year or last year, apparently originally in Serbian but someone translated into English, where his Dad pretty much said that Novak got the lionshare of the attention because early on, he showed a lot of talent and they all felt that they needed to sacrifice to help Novak get what he needed in order to bring his talent to fruition. I got the feeling that the Dad felt slightly guilty (although he expressed no regrets) that his other sons did not get the same devotion.

Speaking of Novak, there was a rumor a few months ago, that he was having problems with his marriage and it affected his game (around the time of the loss to Jiri Vesely at Monte Carlo). Some Serbian fan who acted like he was 'in the know' put it out there on Social Media but I don't think a lot of people believed it, but some people commented that his wife Jelena was missing from some events for awhile and then Novak took some time off. I teased to someone that he was probably bummed that Ana Ivanovic was getting hitched.:lol: Obviously, his game rebounded enough for him to win the French and get to the finals of the U.S. Open. 

Another Novak related piece of news that is sort of a head-scratcher is that apparently he is doing a reality show that is going to be streamed on Amazon!:blink: No risk of a marriage being ruined by a reality show, right? Just ask Jessica and Nick.:ph34r: 

I heard Stan and Angelique Kerber were doing heaps of PR in NYC today but I saw more written about Serena's fashion show than either one of them. Roger Federer's tweet congratulating Stan also got more attention.  Tennis needs to do more to promote this most recent batch of Grand Slam winners or they're going to find themselves in dire straits in a few years.

I really like Felix's game and I'm just enjoying watching him compete in the Juniors, not really thinking about him on the ATP tour because he's still just 15 and anything can happen in the transition to adulthood.  Maturity in body and mind, staying injury-free, those are all variables that determine whether a great junior player can make it in the Big Leagues but for now, I'm only really just enjoying his game for what it currently is now.

I also really enjoy Naomi Osaka and have enjoyed her since before she went pro. Her game does need work but she could have beaten Madison Keys had she had a bit more self-belief. She is also still a teenager (18, I think), so I will give her a few more years and hope that has a better attitude than say, Sloane Stephens.

I hope Nicole Gibbs can get her ranking up there, she has a stellar shade game, she has taken down Ryan Harrison, John Isner and CoCo Vandeghwe. Gibbs is witty and sassy and has the personality and intelligence to infuse some life into the younger group of American players, which says a lot since there's not much there in this current group of Americans (the ones I just mentioned and McHale, AKA McFail, Allison Riske, both players who should be better but disappoint too often). For awhile I was rooting for CoCo until I discovered her rudeness and poor attitude and the less said about Steve Johnson the better (is he the #1 American man this week, or is Isner?)

• Members

Yes it's Djorde but I dropped the D….LOL……I believe it was him that was doing the Challenger circuit. He and Novak played doubles in a tournament a while back. I believe its the middle brother that quit tennis rather quickly. 

I heard the martial problems with Novak and believe they are true. I wonder if Novak was having the Stan affect…meaning not paying enough attention to his wife and child…..not sure but that could be it……I mean lets get real here….LOL…but Novak is in the public eye and no model of any kind has flirted with him? He marries his high school sweetheart?….Tells me that she is only one that could tolerate his BIG EGO…..I had to laugh at the ESPN commentators mentioning how much love he got coming out during the final match…..and someone said will Roger and Rafa aren't here so……..LOL  …Novak has always wanted the love from the tennis fans that Rafa and Roger have always gotten but will never get it. 

Edited by Soapsuds

• 3 weeks later...