The Tennis Thread

• Members

Oh ABSOLUTELY!  

Sugarpimp will certainly help the WTA, and maybe, Vika will return midyear. That's a rivalry that will boost majors without Serena. 

Osaka?  I can't help but believe she will only move forward like a Radwanska.  No majors and flies under the radar when someone is sleeping. 

Puig should really crack the top 10 in 2017. She is really good and enjoyable to watch. 

Lots of up and comers but where's the next superstar?  Sasha Zverez is definitely IT for the ATP!

Taylor Townsend is such a huge disappointment. Way too much talent but refusing to move away from Garrison was a mistake. Taylor should have been the heir apparent. 

And still, America needs a phenom desperately!  The WS only come once in a lifetime but more time needs to be put into the US. Taylor is my pick!  

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Sorry to say this but I think the era of phenoms is over for the foreseeable future @ChitHappens The game has changed, the technology and surface tweaks favor those with more experience. Many people were sold on Bencic, thinking she'd be another Martina Hingis but I was always dubious and now I see why...injuries have done her in this year and some serious ones (back is always a serious one for someone so young).

Puig is a talent that can go on a run but a person who is on the shorter side she has to be relentless all the time like a Justine Henin, which has its risks (wearing down the body). Had Puig and Bencic come along in the era of Henin and Hingis, I would be more sold on them but who knows, really? When the tour empties of the Williamses, Sharapova and if Azarenka lacks motivation to be consistent, they both could squeeze in there.

As for Naomi, we know marketability doesn't always have to do with big wins or there would never have been a Kournikova phenomenon. We know there was a time that Sharapova wasn't winning jack, yet still earning more than Serena. If Naomi hits big in Asia, that's a good chunk of the world market that the WTA is anxious to tap.

I was just mentioning Osaka because she does have power (which needs to be directed properly) and she seems to have good global appeal to many. And like Puig and Bencic, if she gets a tour that has emptied of some of the current stars, who knows?  She's only 18. If Marion Bartoli can pull out a Major, I won't rule out Osaka, LOL.

To me, Elina Svotolina has a game more reminiscent of Radwanska, can do some things well, moves well but no real power in her game, can be hit off the court regularly.

Isn't Taylor Townsend being coached by Donald Young's folks? That's worrying, in and of itself. Donald Young once had the potential to be where Kei Nishikori is but he didn't want to move away from Mommy and Daddy, unlike Kei who moved more than 1/2 way around the world to Florida as a teenager. Can you imagine there was a time that Donald had a winning record against Kei? Those times have changed!

I haven't mentioned Madison or Sloane because Madison needs to show me that she can stop crying on court when things get complicated and games don't go her way and I have no idea where Sloane is in her health or motivation right now.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Lol..I thought of Svitolina too. Osaka has a good powerful game but something about her just isn't working for me. But make no mistake, a black/Japanese too player would certainly bring eyes to the sport. 

Townsend...she is with Young's parents and I have no idea why!  My point was, she stayed under Garrison for too long.  While commentators were talking about her fitness, Garrison was focused on "love your curves". Great message but not for this sport. 

As for Keys and Sloane, like you, I left them out for the same reason. Is Sloane still in the top 100?

• Members

Tennis has become so boring with no personalities. The tennis media....yes you ESPN and Tennis Channel continue to pimp the big 4 even though 2 of the four game has declined and the other two are boring to watch. There is no rivalry in the men's or women's tour either.  My favorites are Thiem and Sasha but can they save tennis? I don't really care for Taylor Friz's game. I think he is overrated just like Jack Sock was so many years ago. He was so pimped during the US Open years back. I kept wondering who is this sock player? America needs a male major winner and I don't see that in the near future. Can we at least have a rootable male American who isn't full of himself?? I don't think there is one.

As for the women ....without Serena and Venus ....the women's side is rather dull. Madison Keys thinks winning majors is by blasting the ball on every point and when they don't go in she gets frustrated and loses the match by a wide margin. Most of time she loses to players she should overpower and not challenge her.

I flove Townsend's game but if she is stuck with DY's team as her coach .....she ain't going anywhere career wise.

• Members

Sloane Stephens (#35) is down there with CoCo (#36) but I know she had an injury she was dealing with for a part of the year. She's been quiet.

By the way, did you all hear that the WTA has yet to work out a streaming deal for next year?  Their CEO Steve Simon (who is quickly becoming one of the worst ever!) says he doesn't know whether there will be any streaming in place before the 3rd Quarter next year!!

How is this allowed to happen?

This makes me feel as if the organization cannot get itself together. If the WTA makes itself even less visible to current fans, don't expect new fans to hop on the bandwagon.

Please register in order to view this content

The pirate websites that do livestream are going to be getting a lot of clicks next year.

• Members

Since I'm not a big fan of Peter Bodo, I skimmed this article but the section on Novak's Spanish meditation guru was...uhm, interesting. Pepe Imaz, used to be a minor league tennis player. He was in Novak's box during the entire WTF Championships. I wonder whether Novak will keep him, Boris and Marian Vadja on at the same time??

The great unraveling of Novak Djokovic

Still wondering about what that "personal" problem Novak was having. Was it merely malaise or something in his relationship?

• Members

I would love it if Novak retired. I don't think he would be missed. I wish Andy would retire too.....LOL. Novak doesn't seem to be motivated on the court anymore. He looks unhappy though and to me its more than just tennis. Tennis is not giving him the fulfillment it once did and you can tell. I've never cared for his game but if he is going to play less than his best because he is not into it then I'd rather not see him on the court anymore.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

Well I hope Novak pulls it together. We saw flashes of the old Novak in WTF semifinal (granted, Kei also played like [!@#$%^&*] most of the time). Perhaps the time off will be rejuvenating.

He is inarguably one of the greatest to ever pick up a racquet,   and if he retired tomorrow, his legacy would be set.