The Tennis Thread

• Members

I don't think Kei will ever win a major. His time has passed. After that great run at the US Open he has run out of gas. I don't find him as threatening as I once did.

Even the TC commentators finally admitted that their match yesterday wasn't great but just good entertainment because neither gives up. I guess they finally realize what we all have that their tennis is rope a dope boring tennis...LOL

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

So Fog argued with the umpire during his match...Fog calling him crazy and stuff but the argument continues until Fog gives up and tells the umpire ...fuc k you.....LOLOL....to which the umpire gives him a point penalty and skips past the warning stage....LOLOLOL

And what does Fog do after receiving the point penalty??  He starts laughing his ass off.....LOLOLOL

• Members

This is an opinion piece but makes some valid points questioning the optics of Stuttgart offering Sharapova a wildcard into the tournament that begins while she is technically still banned.

Some people defend the tournament's decision by saying the first round begins on Tuesday and she wouldn't be playing until Wednesday.

Others ask how Maria will sign up if she is not allowed on-site until her ban expires. (I was not aware that players had to be onsite to confirm singles participation, I know that doubles sign ups are required at the tournament sites).

If she does get to confirm entry some other way, like e-mail/online, perhaps this time she'll clink the link.

Please register in order to view this content

OPINION: Maria Sharapova and her shambolic foray back to top-level tennis

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

ITA. All that ultra-defensive, hitting too many shots from far behind the baseline drives me nuts and there are a lot of the young guys that do it now. 

I saw some of his qualifying match last night and it seemed like he made some improvements on his serve, there seemed to be a bit more sting on his serves, still I hope he continues to work on it to the point where it truly becomes a reliable weapon but at least it is no longer just a 'point-starter' like it used to be.

He did a hell of a lot better than Elias Ymer who I can only say has regressed somewhat. It's not that he lost in the 1st round of Qualies but it's the way he lost. He also was playing very defensive tennis, but it almost seemed like he was playing clay court tennis and he seemed unsure of himself and it was clearly encouraging to his opponent, who I'd never heard of before. Hopefully that frustration that he exhibited will propel him to make the necessary improvements to get back to where he was before his injury layoff.  To think, last year, he qualified for every major tournament on the ITF calendar!

Genie Bouchard is playing decent tennis but doing so wearing Vika's castoffs. Those white shorts that look like diapers, I was hoping that since Vika's away on maternity leave, the only one who I'd be seeing with those diapershorts on would be baby Leo.

• Members

Wow ...really....damn....his ranking has fallen since his marriage.  Ryan Harrison is now ranked higher than he is. Ryan is ranked #82.....I think Taylor has dropped somewhere in the 90s....at one point last year he was in the 50s in ranking.  I don't see him doing that well this year.

• Members

Tennis fans pay ultra-close attention, LOL. Someone calculated that the conception must've happened before the wedding date.

Apparently the baby is due this month!

Meanwhile, who is watching Australian Open Qualies?  I see from the score that Taylor Townsend bageled her opponent in the first set. 

I guess Isner and Johnson are now facing off. 

• Members

Ah...no wonder they got married....LOL.  I was like they are both 18.....what's the big rush?  I still don't think they should have gotten married. They are too young to be parents.  I see TC hasn't reported this.

TC was showing a women's qualies match but it wasn't Townsend's match. I love her game!

And yes the two Trump supporters are playing each other. It is so sad that TC pimps their college time since their pro careers has sucked....LOL  And that cap Johnson is wearing looks so stupid on him...LOL

Late last night Sock and Harrison played with it going to 3 sets and Sock winning.

And here we go again with TC pimping the who is the highest American male and who will stay at the spot....how sad.....that's all they can say since all of the american males suck....LOL

And John lost the first set....just stupid....John has the bigger serve and forehand. John just sucks....he can't beat the people he should.....Its like which boob will win the match....cause thats what I think of them when I see them playing....both should be doing something else besides playing tennis....

• Members

@Soapsuds Some fans were even making jokes about how Novak would approve of Taylor getting married after the pregnancy? I guess that's what happend to him. I just recently saw those pictures last week of Nolé that caused all the cheating talk. I thought it was all speculation until I saw some British tabloid's old article and pictures of him and some middling Bollywood actress getting into the same car outside some club.

I admit to Googling after seeing a joke about Djoker and Indian actresses on social media last week.

Yeah, even Patrick McEnroe is being honest about how long it will be until an American man can realistically be seen as a contender for major titles. He seems to be looking past Isner and co and looking at the Generation Next guys. He was very iffy on Sock- mentioned his need to improve his backhand and his fitness.

Speaking of fitness, I really hope that Taylor can improve her fitness because you're right, she has a fantastic game (great variety, reasonably aggressive and just fun to watch) and it would be a shame to waste it. I don't want to get ahead of myself but she does look fitter than when I last saw her (she looked very big then).

I wonder if Steve Johnson can take this match in straight sets?

• Members

@DramatistDreamer  Ah....Novak cheating??...yikes.....LOL....I mean no other woman gave him any looks....I am assuming thats why he married his HS sweeheart?? I mean she is not ugly but really is a plain jane IMO.  And Novak is nothing to write home about in his looks department either. ive never found him attractive.

Patrick is the main cause for the inept tennis in America....he ran the whole department when all these American players like Sock and Co. were coming up on the tour.  He did nothing to improve the men's program. I don't know why he was put in charge since his game was pathetic when he played as a pro. Another problem is all the American males stay with the same coach or they trade the same sorry ass coach....I don't see Sock winning a major at all.

Taylor needs a good coach that will get her in shape and then really get into her variety game and improve it even more.

The match will probably go 3 sets......neither Steve nor John can win easily....its a given.....LOL

Here is the website I go to for live scores....looks like Townsend is about to close out her match

http://www.flashscore.com/tennis/