Which recast had a bad effect on the character?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought that when I watched a promo with Tom/Thomas-Scott/Diamont. Now there pairing Heinle with her hubby!!! I know Heinle was good on Loving but sucked on AMC and Y&R (never seen her on The City except for the first episode but she wasn't on there long enough for me to judge)

Here's the promo i was talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SIr36PpbgA

• Members

Actually the cans for Susan Batten were not "can her" -- but "dog food." Allison Taylor Rice was a smart, attractive, poised business woman. She had such amazing chemistry with AW. I was shocked.

The other other two are obvious: CC as Molly on ATWT and Victoria on Y&R.

• Members

A few more old ones...

AMC

Hugo Napier after Nick Surovy (Mike Roy)

AW

Sampler after Stuart (Donna Love)...Donna became a whiny victim

DAYS

They should have left Drake Hogestyn as Roman. Days is like the most bizarro show when it comes to recycling their actors as other characters.

GH

The one who was Duke Lavery after Ian Buchanan (Beecroft?).

Currently....I hate to say this because it's more a fault of writing than the actor but Jerry verDorn's Clint Buchanan (OLTL) has been written so against type, that it's hurting the character. Oh, he was definitely a contrast to Clint Ritchie (whom I really liked) from the beginning but Clint was at least being written true to form then. So in this case, to me it's not so much the recast but what's been written for him. Makes me wonder if they would have done the same had CR reprised the role, being that his Clint was so identified for years with loving Viki and hating Dorian. Another case where history was treated like "baggage", it seems.

• Members

I loved Finnegan, hated Harrison, and hated Jones too at first. But Jones' Bridget has developed a sense of humor and I've come to appreciate her in the role.

THis isn't daytime, but the worst recast in the history of television was Karen Cellini as Amanda on Dynasty. First of all, she was American, and Amanda was supposed to be British. She wasn't beautiful (whereas Catherine Oxenberg was gorgeous), and had no talent. It was just ridiculous.

And Susan Batten was really *that bad*. FM-B redeemed herself later on, but it just wasn't a good way to start off as Executive Producer.

• Members

Actually, Marj Dusay was an excellent Alexandra before Joan Collins.

GL....Alan-Michael, from Rick Hearst to Michael Dempsey. Dempsey seemed like a lost child in AM's shoes.

ATWT...Hunt Block as Craig. The man had no depth. All HB's Craig was hot air and one-liners, and the writers chose to go with those "strengths", and gut the character of Craig in the process.

• Members

The Connor recas on ATWT has been pretty much discussed here in this thread, so I won't delve in to much there. I really liked Allyson Rice-Taylor and I thought it was cool she was marred to the singer from Duran Duran...Susan Batten had nothing

Others I felt that were jarring:

ATWT

Martha Bryne to Heather Rattray as Lily

Scott Holroyd to Roger Howarth as Paul

Peyton List to Spence Grammer as Lucy

Days

Lisa Rinna to Krista Allen as Billie

Wayne Northrop to Josh Taylor as Roman

Deborah Adair to Lauren Koslow as Kate

GL

Laura Bell Bundy to Lindsay McKeon as Marah

Billy Kay to Marty West as Shayne

There was actually an actor who played A-M in-between Hearst and Dempsey. I forget who his name was but he was awful as well! He was in the role when A-M left with Lucy

I'll also add the multiple David Grant recasts.

Y&R

Heather Tom to Amelia Henie as Victoria

Brenda Epperson to Shari Shattuck as Ashley

Terry Lester to Peter Bergman as Jack

Davetta Sherwood to Christel Khalil as Lily

• Members

This is going to be rather unpopular, but I'm going to say the switch between Chris Bernau and Ron Raines as GL's Alan Spaulding (Yes, I know that Daniel Pillion stepped in in 1988-89). Perhaps it's the current writing, but Raines brings such a more cartoonish and melodramatic flair to Alan that Bernau did not have. Alan was a very complicated villian when he first came on the show, but now (and truth be told, for a few years now), Alan hasn't been written very well.

And as much as I do like her and find her underrated, the recast of Beth Raines with Beth Chamberlin also completely changed the character in a negative way ever since Chamberlin returned in 1997. Beth was a sweet, caring person, but has been written as some token bitch for years now.

• Members

The Young and The Restless

Heather Tom to Sarah Aldrich as Victoria Newman

David Tom to Ryan Brown as Billy Abbott

Nick Scotti to Jay Bontabibus(?) as Tony Viscardi

Lillibet Stern to Andrea Evans as Patty Williams Abbott

Wings Hauser to Howard McGillan as Greg Foster

• Members

I'd say Jennifer Bransford and Laura Wright had a bad effect on the character of Carly Corinthos, as, even though both actresses are fantastic and have made the role their own, neither are really true to the raw, gritty Carly that Sarah Brown originated and Tamara Braun continued with.

Sabine Singh has definately turned Greenlee Lavery from complex anti-heroine to one note bitch.

Archived