May 7-11, 2007

Toups

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Kenny, he did the exact same thing at ATWT, but worse. The ONLY reason changes are being made is because of Ken Corday and the power of DAYS fans. Not many soap fans have the power to make a change, maybe only GH and DAYS. He lied and said he loved the vets, but the result shows otherwise.

Whenever he brought back old characters they'd be recasts and written as completely different characters with no regard for their history. He brought on tons of poorly acted teens and stuck them in some of the most laughable storylines ever. I recall Alison and Aaron searching for this stupid treasure key and the infamous college tour.

His stories live on an island and he has a narrow focus of characters he'd focus on. I remember when Sierra was on SHE was written as Lucinda's daughter and Lily/Rose were in their own world, rarely having scenes with Lucinda. He has no consistancy.

People complain time and time again about Corday, but we all know Hogan had total control. He did what he did at ATWT, make false promises, start off hot and once his job is secure--do whatever the hell he wants. His success at ATWT was short-lived, overrated and ultimately a fluke.

DAYS fans will continue to blame anyone but Hogan and the result serves you right. I don't understand the loyalty to him.

• Members

I wasn't expecting last week to draw a spike because it was a payoff to ONE fanbase. I expected one because it was the best written, most entertaining week we've had since December and because we finally saw something resembling an ensemble cast. But Kenny's points are valid. The week followed 3 months of almost uninterrupted boredom & terrible balance. The +-500,000 viewers who left during that period aren't going to come flooding back because of one amazing week, regardless of how heavily you promote it. It will happen in small increments of .1/.2 as viewers come to expect this kind of quality on a consistent basis. It's stating the obvious but the best promotion for a show is the show itself.

• Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ May 17 2007, 07:24 PM)
Kenny, he did the exact same thing at ATWT, but worse. The ONLY reason changes are being made is because of Ken Corday and the power of DAYS fans. Not many soap fans have the power to make a change, maybe only GH and DAYS. He lied and said he loved the vets, but the result shows otherwise.

Whenever he brought back old characters they'd be recasts and written as completely different characters with no regard for their history. He brought on tons of poorly acted teens and stuck them in some of the most laughable storylines ever. I recall Alison and Aaron searching for this stupid treasure key and the infamous college tour.

His stories live on an island and he has a narrow focus of characters he'd focus on. I remember when Sierra was on SHE was written as Lucinda's daughter and Lily/Rose were in their own world, rarely having scenes with Lucinda. He has no consistancy.

People complain time and time again about Corday, but we all know Hogan had total control. He did what he did at ATWT, make false promises, start off hot and once his job is secure--do whatever the hell he wants. His success at ATWT was short-lived, overrated and ultimately a fluke.

DAYS fans will continue to blame anyone but Hogan and the result serves you right. I don't understand the loyalty to him.

I still believe that Hogan is the best Writer Days had in a long time. He did very good on ATWT and he is good on Days. The balance maybe sucks, but the show is very well written. I'm not saying Hogan was perfect on ATWT but he was really good.

I think it is always difficult for a new Writer to take over a show and please all the longtime Fans.

Let's just see how the summer and the Brady/DiMera story will play out...

• Members

Speaking as a biased Jack/Jennifer fan, I won't be coming back to DAYS until they return, if ever!

The DiMeras hold no interest for me, Lumi I am indifferent to, and I can't stand the newbies. :rolleyes:

Kenny has made some excellent points today!

• Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ May 17 2007, 07:24 PM)

Because he's loads better than the previous writers Days fans have had to endure. We went through JER, which sadly is enough said. Dena whats-her-name, B&C were actually good and possible better than what we are getting now but they were fired soon after, before that we had Langan, and before that SSM, and even though I adored his first run JER which was the thing that totally moved Days to a new show and is most of the reason the show has gone through so much for the past decade or so.

As many say this, I want to know where the information came from that Hogan had total control, and I don't see Corday giving Hogan COMPLETE control, or he says that and turns on it later. The reason I feel Corday takes ALOT of the balme here is because this is not the first time newbies have been shoved down our throats. Anyone remember 2001 which I am not even sure is fully Langan's fault.

Hogan takes some of the blame for not really moving the stories he had, but even though the interview said it was a mutual decision Corday has already lied TWICE in that interview. I am not going to jump and start bashing Hogan because alot of it seems to be more Corday. Even if it was confirmed Hogan had total return, Corday could have just turned on him as he always has turned on people.

It took me awhile to finally give up on JER, I didn't bash him yet at Melaswan because that was alot of Corday too, but finally it did. And if Hogan is proved to constantly dissappoint me and make bad moves, eventually I will not defend him. It's just the way I am. Which is why I defend him despite these ratings.

• Members

Exactly daysfan. I agree.

People forget it's Corday who always interferess. I am also sick to death of the ATWT argument and the newbie argument. No new families were started. A new family is more then two related characters. Also, how many of them newbies are still around? Jed was temporary and around for a month. Connor was only in 4 episodes. Gabby and Duck are gone. Willow (who is gone soon) and Nick are the only ones who have remained and new blood is needed on the show. I don't care if the show is going off next week. The show needs characters for the main characters to nteract with who aren't related to them. Stephanie is a new face but if you read SOD alot of Days fans love her. Same with Nick. As for Jett and Jeremy, the jury is still out and we don't know what is going to happen yet. They are tied to core familes so I am for it. Just because the show's balance sucked doesn't mean people have to be against any new characters ever coming on the show. Hogan didn't lie. He said there would be more Hortons and that he liked the Carver's. If anything, the additions of Jett and Jeremy suggest Hogan is back in primary control.

People are one again forgetting the Corday factor. Hogan was delivering on every one of his promises up until January and then something changed. Corday practically admitted responsibility for what happened in his interview. Yes, Hogan should've made the stories better but if they weren't your plan to begin with, it's very hard to write something as the passion isn't there.

Bottom line is this summer will be a steady climb. As long as Days can get back in the mix by the end of summer, I am fine. I think it's possible although these numbers do disappoint me.

• Members

no congrats to you! You hit the nail on the head.Hogan lied so much.He had me thinking he was going to turn days around.I am very cautious about the summer for days.Hogan i think may be a good writer for days-----under someone else.We need a new headwriter and hogan could work under him/her.......As for Sami and Lucas's wedding it was good,but many fans are probably just bored with sami and her weddings.Plus,sami and lucas are great as enemies but all that love love stuff with them does seem a little forced.Anyway great post!

• Members

I don't find Lucas & Sami's relationship to be forced at all. I think they have great chemistry! But I must agree on their kisses. Everytime they kiss, they sound so dry and unusually loud. They need to put some tongue into it! :)

It's sad that DAYS's numbers didn't budge more towards the end of the week, but I totally understand jaded fans not being interested due to past letdowns and inconsistencies.

I'm not surprised that GL is staying flat and wonder how long they'll be able to hold on to what they've got. The show is very ho-hum right now. Nothing grabs me. And it's so frickin' dark, I had to adjust the brightness and contrast on my TV yesterday to watch! It's like Springfield is having a permanent blackout!

I hope to see a strong increase for Y&R for this week, especially Monday & Tuesday's episodes. Talk about gripping, emotional drama! I loved the focus on the Newman family on those days.

• Members

Sami and lucas are two strong charcters who are not being written right.And lets not forget people love sami as a bad girl not some goody goody/victim.Hogan needs to return her to being bad.Now dont get me wrong.i dont want her to go back to little girl foolishnessbut the fans loved a sami being bad.What is now being presented onscreen is two vanilla characters!

• Members

Oh, I totally disagree. Sami is much better as a grown up woman then some schemer. I think Hogan has done quite great with maturing her but also we have seen shades of her old self. Her being the victim was actually some good karma and Sami would have been stupid to have gone off and pulled some stunt.

Phoenix, you are so right when you say more than two characters to be a "family". Soap family that is, especially in Days' case. I think for a soap family there has to be AT LEAST three or four. A parent(s) and two children or something like that.

Also, numberonedaysfan, when you say Hogan has lied so muh I have got to say how?! Honestly, the only thing he "lied" about/didn't happen was John waking up in Feburary. And I don't consider his newbies to be "families". And I won't mention spoilers but technically very few are left.

And, I'm gonna say this: If you need a character for a story, you need a character for a story. As a writer of the blog who treats it like a soap, I know this. I mean, so far only Nick is the newbie that has had a lead role in a story. Connor was supporting, Willow has been supporting ever since she came on, so have Gabby and Duck, and if Stephanie is considered a newbie yet she hasn't had alot of story. Hogan said the newbie thing in August, and here we are in May. I doubt those words are gonna last forever.

• Members

I am certainly biased considering Days is the only soap I watch consistently. But, how can Days honestly get rated a 2 last week??? Great material was delivered last week - the best viewers have seen in a long time. I'm shocked and very disappointed.

• Members

Hence the brother/sister qualities to their romantic scenes. It's like watching a brother and sister rolling around between the sheets! Neither look totally comfortable in that situation, IMO. Ali and Bryan have a very bro/sis like chemistry in real life, and I can just sense the awkwardness there when they try to push it as something more.

Archived