The Cocktail Lounge

Scotty

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Not André … I Swear

Message from Andre:

"I'm still suspended, but all is good. :) Soaps are a hard habit to break once you've started watching them; I have tried to quit, but I always end up coming back. This suspension is similar. Maybe, finally, I can break the habit instead of coming and going to this board, because, really, it's starting to get silly.

"And I have much more self respect than to have to defend my position and plead for my account to be reinstated. *shudder* I have asked mods/admins in the past to delete my account, but they won't, so the temptation to slip back into my comfortable role (especially when work is boring as all get out) is always there.

"As for the report function (which we have been asked to use), there were mods participating and reading the threads, so I figured something was being done. I figured they were accepting it as heated debate—or that they enjoy it. (C'mon, y'all know you love the drama....until someone reports it. Or Errol returns. Either/or.) As a long-term member and former mod, I think I deserve at least a warning PM. Not special treatment. I never asked for that. But just basic courtesy. Maybe an e-mail saying they think I should stop. I have never been banned/suspended/warned (but, as I have been told, Rion had been warned before), so for it to just happen....I won't say it's surprising, because, well, I don't begin to understand some of the actions taken around here...but it's very bothersome.

"I stand by everything I write, be it over-the-top and tongue-in-cheek, or if it's calling someone out on their behaviour. Nothing I have done is in malice toward SON....though maybe slightly in malice to certain members.

"Oh, and PS: there is a certain mod out there who I may have called out for not respecting members and their opinions. While I may have been able to handle it in a different manner, I stand by it. If you check out TelevisionWithoutPity, members there know how to handle disagreements. They ignore it. They don't read a negative post and tell them to be more positive. (Man, at TWP, they would be ripped a new one if members weren't allowed to snark!!) Members should be able to say what they want without someone nattering on and on about how they should be more positive. Even if it's their opinion that they should be more positive. "Be positive!" isn't an argument; by a mod, it's a demand, and it forces the discussion into a particular framework. It's just uncool.

"PPS: I hope this isn't deleted."

• Members

As I consider Andre a friend and valuable contributor to SON, I am disapointed to read this. Very disapointed.

There is a time to be nice and positive. And in my opinion, that time should be most of the time. But unfortunately it doesn't always work that way. Soap fans are among the most passionate, snarky, vocal and revved-up fans of almost any genre. And who can blame us? Collectively we've all been dumped on by the networks, writers, producers and other fanbases. It is hard to be positive when someone comes in and is given a free pass to dump more and more on you and if the free-exchange of passion and ideas is disallowed then what is the point? Sure, things could always be handled in a more mature, open and honest way. But it is a two way street.

I don't know the reasons behind the lifting of certain posters suspensions or what other factors are involved. But this leaves a very sour taste. There doesn't seem to be any transparency in the process. Perhaps there should be.

• Members

I would definitely agree with Andre. We deserved a warning level raise in the very least. Unfortunately, I will never look at SON or feel the same way about it ever again after this. Although I am grateful for the opportunity to be back, the damage is done.

The only thing SON is good for now for me is giving me the opportunity to write in my blog.

It was a horribly awful move to make. Three people who stood by SON through everything for 7 years, who defended SON through everything...

I love the admins who went to bat for me and got me back. I do enjoy being back. I just wish it felt the same way.

• Members

King I'm happy to see you. You know I love ya more than my luggage.

I concur with you and the others who are just dumbfounded that this happened, especially since Rion had been known to cause trouble and seriously wished harm on those who dared disagree with him, myself included.

Mods and Admins saw this and knew what he did, but they didn't ban him because no one complained? That just does NOT make sense. In fact, its ridiculous.

That's just my honest opinion.

• Members

I'm personally rather disappointed in the display of entitlement. If you engage in as much douchebaggery as the next person, you shouldn't be absolved of that just because of how long you've been there or because you know the mods and admins.

You got what you wanted and now you're upset because it applied to you? GMAB.

• Members

I agree. The moderators knew what was going on in that thread, because I know for a fact that at least one of them was in the thread posting, right along with everyone else. Why report a post that you know has already been seen? I almost hit the "report" button, but then I thought... nah, he's here posting in the thread, he sees what's going on... apparently not.

• Members

Nobody's asking for special treatment. They're asking for the same treatment as everyone else.

The rules state that before you are banned or suspended, you'll at least have your warning level raised, as an indication that if you don't simmer down, actions will be taken. That never happened. It was just... poof. And why? Because people hurt the feelings of a troll? Big deal. Rion had been doing and saying things just to bait people for months. Everyone knew about this -- moderators included -- and it went ignored. The only reason that the blowup even occured in the first place is because the source of the problem wasn't nipped in the bud weeks and months before as it should've been, so people took it into their own hands. "If he can say this sh!t and get away with it, we're going to fire right back." I don't blame them! Apparently things only get noticed when the troll gets his feelings hurt... THEN it's gone too far. :rolleyes:

Even so, it took an entire week following the blowup before any action was taken, positively or negatively. What does that say about efficient moderating?

Archived