The Cocktail Lounge

Scotty

• Members

So I went ot go to take my big practice final test that gets reported to my manager to note my progress and show my areas of weakness. I am ten questions into it and the website I take it on freezes. Once you start, thats it. I got a 5.

Thank God its not the real one

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I really don't think there is all that much drama on SON to be honest or not much in the last few weeks anyway. Now with Rion and a few others who were banned I think the board will slowly get better again. However, I wish some old SON members would return but they won't because of the Pay Pal ordeal and because of that SON will never be the same although I still love it!

• Members

You know I sit back and watch as the hypocrisy reigns supreme here at SON. I am friends with a lot of you, and I value your opinion. But unless you've been on staff (and i mean as of recently), you don't know exactly what goes into handling hundreds of people.

People may have been unhappy with the disciplinary taken (as I was), but you know what, it had to be done. What I'm about to say does not pertain to any specific person, but rather is a general statement.

It's funny how the rules are thrown up in our face when it's supposed to suit you. Other than that they are ignored for the most part on a daily basis. There have been plenty of times where we have all given people slack for things they have said in the heat of the moment or because we knew that it was out of character for them to do so.

A few weeks ago when people were blasting ATWTCarOn4Ever (who I banned), everyone doing so should have been banned. Why? Because you were breaking the rules. Were warnings issued? No they weren't because I asked that we cut you all some slack. We can't give people chance after chance after chance after chance when they will continue to abuse that.

When people report posts, IMO it is not any of your business whether or not disciplinary action was taken. It's left up to the discretion of the moderator/administrator on how to handle issues not stated in the rules. I know many times when a post is reported, I like to read the posts before the one reported to see how the situation happened. Why? Because many times people will stir [!@#$%^&*] and only report the thread once they are directly offended. To me, that's not cool.

There are some that complain about others bashing certain posters, then go into this damn thread and do the EXACT same thing that they were bitching about only a few months ago. But if they're bashed, they have the audacity to ask that someone be banned? I'm sorry, just because you don't like someone doesn't mean that they should be banned. That's what they ignore feature is for.

Just because someone may not say things to your liking (as in maybe with a sarcastic tone) doesn't mean that person should be banned. Or because a certain group of "fans" discuss soaps one way, and someone comes in and doesn't fit right into that mold. Again, that doesn't mean that person should be kicked out of SON.

Yes SON has changed. I think it's changed for the better. Unlike before, we have active administrators and moderators on every day policing this place so no one will be afraid to post here. SON couldn't stay the same forever, every place goes through ups and downs but you know what, time moves on.

I am so sick and tired of hearing people say "oh SON has changed", "SON isn't like it used to be", "things at SON have gotten bad". Before you say that, maybe you should evaluate your behavior on the boards and figure out if you've ever contributed to the problem at hand.

Do you know how it feels when you're working your ass off and FIGHTING with your friends behind closed doors to get changes made around here, and then to be told by someone that you aren't doing your job or aren't working as hard as you should? Or that "the place has changed?" It's freakin insulting if you ask me.

There will be decisions that we as an administration will make that will not make everyone happy, but you know what, that happens. You can't please everyone all of the time. We would be in a utopia if that happened.

I think people need to take a step back and realize that things at SON aren't as bad as they could be. We could let everyone run rampant and attack each other personally and their opinions. We could be really strict like a board I'm a member of and not allow anyone to have a signature, link to videos or competing boards, discuss anything not related to soaps. We could be a place where the first time you screw up you're gone, but we're not and we get NO credit for that.

I fought to become an administrator because I love SON and want it to be the best board around. I take it personal when people PM or IM me and tell me how unhappy they are here because of the posting atmosphere. I take it personal when members decide to leave. But you know what....I'm beginning to feel differently about that and that's ashame.

• Members

Fantastic post, Ryan.

I made a similar one in the suggestions thread. Again, this is a team effort and things change. People change. SON has changed. It can't be what it was before. It can be better. People don't really know who hard the staff works, especially the adminstrators here who work like hell to make this board the best it can be.

Mistakes are going to be made but what people need to realize is that at least something is being done. We are all only human and, when mistakes are made, what is important is that we learn from them and rectify them. I feel we have done that. Not everyone is always going to agree on whatever action is taken but such is life. We all need to take a step back and look at our own behavior. We can all do better. We learn something new everyday. I love everyone here and I hate when I see unhappiness and people leaving but that is up to each individual.

The staff does it's best to be around as much as possible and to be in touch with members. However, we all do have lives. I am always available through AIM or PM if anyone has a question or concern. I would say that goes for the staff as a whole. We are here to help and we will get back to you ASAP. We do our best, just like we expect members to do their best to follow the rules, which are more lenient here then I have seen on any board, bar none IMO.

My hope is that we can all move on from this strange week and learn from whatever mistakes, if any, we have made. That's all. No grudges or "SON is not the same" or whatever. Let's just make this the great place it can be. One that is welcoming and fun where we can enjoy everyone's company and talk about soaps and the things we love. That is all :)

• Members

I am going to try to make the effort to make this thread get back to the Cocktail Lounge area where we can post anything. We have an area where we can post our problems.

Anyway, who here likes Kenny? I interviewed him. Go make him feel good and read it. He did such an awesome job and I wanted to post about it in here

• Members

K...I am hot!

Like seriously!

I got my test scores today.....I passed it by 12 points! haha and my certificate came too....now it finally sunk in that this is true and it the bestest (like that is a word, but I don't care haha) feeling I have going on now.

• Members

In the past, I've never been interested in becoming a moderator.

So, I'll state this publicly... if ever a moderating position comes open, I'LL TAKE IT! I'm interested in the job! I want to see what it's like. I've been a member here long enough, before half the current mods even knew what this place was. Some of the moderators themselves do the same [!@#$%^&*] wrong as the members they ban, so take the hypocrisy lines and read 'em right back into a mirror. Nobody's any more perfect or mistake-free than anyone else. Myself and moderators included.

So yes, if ever there comes a position for "moderator," I'll take it. Give me the job. If the job is really so difficult and I'm so off base, let me experience it for myself. Maybe I'll find a new appreciation. I'm up for the challenge! As for those who complain about how they put up with so much as moderators... QUIT! You're not getting paid to do this. Nobody's forcing you to put up with it. Do the job or get off the cross.

• Members

First off, I never said that moderators weren't without fault. Never once in my post did I say that.

Alright moderators.... listen up!!!! You heard the man. Do the job or get off the cross. The next time we suspend/ban someone, let's not debate the possible repercussions from our actions. We should just do it and not care what the members think. I don't want to see any bitching from our end or the members end when we suspend/ban someone again. To do our job efficiently, I think we should really take all personal feelings aside and just discipline. So much for weighing options right?

Addtionally, to really do our jobs and promote SON as a "welcoming community," there should be nothing but positive statements at SON. So should we do our job and ban those who speak ill of our decisions and the board? Hmmmm......I dunno. <_<

Ends the obvious sarcastic tone and goes to leave before I say something I regret....

• Members

No, you simply mentioned that you don't like the rules being thrown up in the faces of the moderators, while in the same breath you said that you were unhappy with the actions that were taken against King/Mitch/Andre, as well. You voiced the same dissatisfaction as I or anyone else, and then stand on a high road preaching how the rest of us are bad for throwing the rules back into the moderators faces. Were you or were you not part of that same exact group?

I think it's mighty cowardly of the moderators trying to blame the giant mistakes made on the members for not reporting posts, when we all know that moderators ALREADY KNEW about the posts because they were participating in the conversation!

I'm done with this whole thing. If people hadn't screwed up from the start, there wouldn't even be an argument. But as King said before, the damage is already done. So, whatever.

• Members

You are taking what I said out of context Kenny. I meant that I said the rules are thrown back in our face only when it suits people. Voicing your unhappiness with a situation isn't against the rules, and I don't think it should. I was unhappy because I was not consulted when decisions were made and I was unhappy because I didn't agree with the decision.

But how can someone blatantly ignore the rules but then when punished for it, they want to quote the rules? It's hypocritical.

I like you Kenny and I respect your opinion. I hope that you won't think less of me for disagreeing with you or because we're on opposite sides of the fence on this one.

• Members

Oh, Ryan, I still love you!

I can participate in a heated debate without letting it smudge your essence. I'm an adult, you're an adult... I guess we're just like Rosie and Elisabeth, LoL. I appreciate you not pussyfooting around the issue and attacking it head-on in this debate. I don't understand why people don't do that more often. I prefer it!

But yes, I'm (really) done with this whole subject now.

• Members

Hey there Vee,

I just woke up from a fabulous 3 hour nap plus one hour of dozing on the couch. I think I am up for the night. LOL! My family is having a family reunion this weekend but I don't think I want to go this year. Its always the same old crowd that shows up.

Archived