February 12-16, 2007

Toups

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Webmaster

Since ad rates are set by Sweeps data, if DAYS doesn't pull itself back to #1 in 18-34 and rise from #7 (all daytime) in women 18-49, this will be the beginning of NBC justifying its cancellation in 2009.

GH is #1 in Women 18-49 (2.5)

GH is #1 in Women 18-34 (2.0)

GH hit its highest ratings in the above demos, including Women 25-54, since 2004. It has been nearly THREE years since the soap did this good. This can not be excused by the snow storm that hit the east last week, as the show has been building themselves up week-to-week since January.

If the shows just provide quality programming using a quantity in actors at the same time, we just may see daytime soaps reverse a very bad ratings trend.

• Members

It would be too ironic if soaps make a comeback, and DAYS still gets canceled! But these ratings are deserved. I only watch DAYS and don't consider myself a part of any fanbase (although I do have my favorites), but the last couple weeks overall have been very boring to me. There have been a few interesting bits thrown in here and there but not enough, especially for a sweeps month. I got a call this morning from a friend who had been on vacation and wanted me to catch her up with DAYS and there wasn't much to tell her. The dialogue is great, the actors are doing very well, but something needs to happen--consistently and daily. If DAYS had been consistently doing well for a long time, maybe the episodes the last couple of weeks wouldn't look so bad but that's not the case. We're dealing with a show that has had a lot of transition, a lot of cast changes, a lot of writing staff changes and is on a network that is not supportive and has threatened cancellation in two years. Hogan needs to really step it up if this show is going to survive. He has to retain viewers, win back the ones who have deserted and attract new viewers. That's a tall order, but I'm optimistic he has the talent to do it.

• Members

With the news that Passions has been cancelled and that NBC is not likely to pick up the show past 2009 it might be difficult for viewers to stay invested in DAYS but it seems to me as if the SLs are building to something big in May. I just hope that the viewers will still be around by then. It would have helped if they had maximized sweeps by providing the viewers with at least one BIG reveal the way the ABC soaps have but overall I still love the writing for DAYS it just doesn't seem like a sweeps month.

• Members

GH is a show to watch right now. No doubt about that. But we have yet to see if it´s another rating stunt, the same like Reilly´s SK storyline, or if people stay tuned even after the action ends.

That said, Hogan possibly couldn´t choose worse time to put all DAYS stories into an establishing phase, because it seems almost every other soaps did their maximum for the sweeps. It will now take a time till those angry and bored DAYS fans who decided to check other soaps (and obviously GH gained a lot on them) will return back.

• Members

Anyone familiar with the saying, "Excuses are like a--holes. Everyone's got one and they all stink"

DAYS has had 6 months to 'transition'. That excuse is so old. No other headwriter that's come in to any show is given 6 months leeway because it's in 'transition'.

Filling every episode with newbies and psychotic Steve & Kayla is not going to keep viewers invested. From 1999-2004, Shelle were the up-and-rising supercouple of the future. Now it's 2007 and there's two new actors playing both roles. True, they may be better than those they replaced, but they're not the originals that people were familiar with and invested in.

If soap viewers tuned out immediately after they heard news of potential cancellation, every single Guiding Light fan would've bolted way back in 1996, so impending cancellation rumors is a flimsy excuse.

And just as Austin & Carrie's lousy return did nothing to bring back viewers, Steve & Kayla's return has also been a bust. How many times now have fans endured one-half of a supercouple coming back from the dead with partial amnesia where it turns out they were brainwashed and held captive by a DiMera? It's like it's part of a Days of Our Lives handbook on how to bring back a presumed dead character that's one-half of a supercouple. It's old! And psycho Steve makes me cringe!

Overall, the storylines are blah. There's no real rooting value; no momentum. Mimi's deal? Yawn. I'm just waiting for her to leave. Nick/Chelsea? Okay, but they're not the money couple that long-time fans really care about. Max/Abby? Again, cutesy stuff, but nothing gripping. Shawn/Belle/Phillip/WillHOE? Yawwwwn. The most exciting thing about this storyline is watching to see if the baby is going to start crying during a scene where she should be silent.

Bo & Hope? MIA

John & Marlena? MIA

Lucas & Sami? Stuck in the same spot for the past 2 months. This is probably the one storyline I like the most right now, but we're stuck in this aggravating EJ spot. Wouldn't it have been amazing, and a true sign of character growth, if Sami had told Lucas that she was raped/forced into sex? Instead, we're seeing Sami doing her usual lying that will end up making her look bad.

• Members

Exactly.

As I said in another thread, I prefer a dull (yet watchable) Days compared to the shroomy acid trip that it became under Reilly.

For the most part, I like the character interactions we've been given, the personality and dimension that's been given to unfleshed characters, and the setup of a young generation that I can actually enjoy. However, the stories need a big boost. There's all sorts of buildup and potential, and Hogan just needs to pull the string to let it all loose. I'm not sure what he's waiting for, but certainly they can't expect the ratings to go up during a sweeps month whenever they purposely don't pull out any big guns.

I get the feeling that this Shawn/Belle "on the run" adventure was written to be bigger than it is. I mean, think about it in your head. You can get the visuals of all sorts of exciting things. Then you end up getting a cheap, tiny "boat" set... a cheap, tiny fake "island" set... and paired with the horrible background music that doesn't do anything to enhance the scenes, it's just not reaching its full potential. The background music is a big problem. It's almost as if they're saying, "Do you like this yet? Huh? Do ya... do ya? Well, do ya?" It's very taunting and fluffy rather than bold and dramatic. But that's another issue altogether.

And finally, there's Jay Johnson. He should've never been brought back in the role of 'evil' Phillip, because he just can't pull it off. I didn't like the idea before he returned, and I continued disliking the idea after his first day back. He can't do menacing or scary... he just does 'childish and screamy.' He sounds like a spoiled little kid in a candy store, screaming for mommy to buy him a candy bar. Can he not speak a line without screaming it? Anyway, having him back has put a serious dent in my enjoyment of the show. When I say that I hated the Salem High gang, I mean it.

• Members

Oh, and I also hate Sami/Lucas as a romantic couple. And honestly, I think a vast majority of people feel the same way I do -- including the LUMI fans. They're just so used to rooting for them that it's become habit, LoL. They're definitely one of those "hot until they actually get together -- then they're boring" couples. They're the anti-couple. No way in hell should they be so schmoozy and schmaltzy.

• Members

I totally disagree about JKJ but to each their own.

As for LUMI, I have loved them this month but, up until then, I was starting to tire of them. I like that Lucas is siding with Sami more. Like others have said, Days just needs to get moving with everything. This was very poor timing to into filler and standby mode. As soon as things start happening, ratings will go up.

• Members

4.8 for Y&R on Tues? I don't recall that day being that interesting. As long as the ratings are being kept this high, LML will never be out as head-writer, it's obviously some fan-base out there for Y&R is more than enjoying the show.

Good for GH, but come March, they'll be back down. They only way I see them overtaking B&B for the #2 spot is if the rumors of Vanessa Marcil's return are true. She's like ratings dynamite for them.

Poor Days, but they should be able to stabilize come March. Also good to see ATWT rise.

Archived