February 12-16, 2007

Toups

• Members

Dang - I wished GH would have jumped over B&B - that was a great week for GH.

WOW to AMC getting a 3.0 on Wednesday. They are doing well in the ratings for Feb. Sweeps. The one thing that makes me happy about that is lots of people got to see how amazing Bobbie Eakes is - and will hopefully remember this next year for Emmy-time.

I'm surprised that GH and AMC got 3.4 and 3.0 for Weds., and OLTL only got a 2.6. Why wouldn't the soap in the middle of these two get as high of jumps like GH and AMC did during that week? Make sense?

DAYS must be boring people, bc they can't seem to rise in the ratings.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I noticed that too. GL has been so good lately. They deserve this rise. The acting is top notch. The stories are great. Many worried about them (including me) losing Jammy, but they have rebounded so well and created a great story of family drama that includes almost the whole cast in one story.

Right now it is one of the best stories on daytime IMO. It is definitely the best constructed. If only they had the budget to make it work even better.

And were shown in every affiliate. There is no telling what the ratings would be if they were.

• Members

Well I haven't missed an episode, but there hasn't been anything compelling on. Monday of this week as I said in another thread is the only day that has peaked my interest in well over a month. There is just nothing compelling. The quality is there but the stories just aren't. Most of the time I am just left with a blah feeling when I get through - nothing like the other soaps are making me feel right now. And only GH has action to it, but the others are just compelling and when I get through watching them I am on a high.

• Members

Exactly. The only thing that even came close was the Lumi proposal, which did gain them some ratings, but even that was tainted by EJ showing up. They really need to ditch the Dimera garbage - or bring back a "real" Dimera instead of the oversorased one we have right now, and come up some real storylines.

• Members

DAYS sucks donkey balls. There I said it. Hogan Sheffer is overrated, but I will give him credit for putting DAYS on level playing field with the other soaps. Still, I think his new characters are weak and on too much (Willow) and I'm not crazy about the characters he writes for or how he writes them. John/Marlena are boring and Steve/Kayla put me to sleep despite loving both actors. I also think that Shelle is overrated. DAYS still needs and overhaul. Even Hogan's worst at ATWT was more interesting that this.

Very happy to see Y&R and GH skyrocketing in the ratings although I'm not totally in love with what either is doing. But both headwriters know how to make it easy to jump into their soaps. I just wish Y&R would raise the emotional stakes instead of glossing over things.

If it weren't for B&B's sudden rises, GH would be the #2 soap. Hopefully the ratings begin to sink and GH takes over. B&B has got to end the dreadful Rick/Phoebe and start trying! The show is so middle of the road. Use those interesting charatcers on the sidelines! Felicia, Thorne, Clarke, etc. It's the fricking Nick/Phoebe/Rick show.

• Members

Great week for soaps, good job. And yes Tuesday was the day of the storm, though most of it happened Monday Night, but most kids were off school on Tuesday and I would assume most adults took the day off as well. As usual the 3.0 for ATWT on Tuesday, even though there were extra viewers because of the storm, tells me that people are willing to watch the show.

• Members

I'm glad to see both AMC and GH rise in the ratings.I wish DAYS was better storywise and not just quailtywise.DAYS was on fire Dec. and Jan.What happened? I guess Passions cancellation has really affected NBc daytime.I guess with DAYs not possibly airing past 2009 I guess viewers hate to watch a dead show walking and are starting to tune out.My goodness even GL doing better and it is has been swarmed with cancellation rumors for over a decade.I love DAYS ,too but it is hard to watch a show you love slowly die because of the NBC TPTB.Even FROns has some faith in the genre even though it leaves a lot to be desired by other viewers.

• Members

Congrats to GH. They deserve it.

OLTL has been steadily improving so good for them.

GL had been fantastic so good for them as well.

B&B and AMC are two that I have no idea why they rose but to each their own.

People are right in that Days deserves this and everyone here already knows my stance on sweeps. They should do something but I am indifferent about it. Nevertheless, they stayed the same and it is a positive that Tuesday had some nice numbers with people snowed in. There is an audience there but I think so many tape/DVR their shows or just watch them on Soapnet. There are still many people not counted in the ratings system but I digress. Days has good stories but they need more punch and the show needs to get action going and some big events. The fact that they have a 2.5 with all the complaining going on is a positive in my view. They are still with the pack so all they need to do is get moving a bit and they will be fine. Days will probably get a minimal rise for this week, at least I hope it will. It's been a really good week IMO. I also think they will have a better March when other shows return to their normal stores so they will captialize on that.

I guess it's a good week for soaps overall. No one really lost viewers and there were some nice gains.

• Members

Chris B. Great post.

What I don't understand is that even though Hogan is not the best writer ever on soaps, he is better than what he is doing right now. I just don't see it. He has good premises but the actual follow through or something is not there. It's just not paying off to entertainment in the end for me and obviously from looking around the boards and looking at the ratings - there are many others out there who feel the same way. Some are fan bases but I don't see that as the whole of it. I think just fans overall are not buying it.

But as you said even Hogan's worst stories at ATWT were more entertaining than what he is doing now.

I agree with you about Y&R. I don't like everything that Latham is doing but it is easy to get into and easy to follow. And there are enough twists to things to keep it interesting. I would have never dreamed in a thousand years that the Carmen murder and the Reliquary would end up being tied together through Jana.

• Members

Hogan is doing fine. It's just there isn't much action, suspence, etc right now. Other shows have momentum because stories are ending or there is some sort of big event (GH). if it weren't for that, Days wouldn't stand out as much. When the others return to earth, the focus will be off Days and they will probably get good as usual outside of sweeps so they will have the limelight all to themselves.

Most of those upset are the fanbases and are fans that watch other shows because they compare other shows sweeps to Days. Those that watch Days and Days alone probably aren't as bored or as upset with the show. Those that watch for quality and for just the show and not a certain character or couple aeren't as upset. The influx of negative buzz only started when the big 4 got backburnered. Before that, Days was on fire.

Archived