February 12-16, 2007

Toups

• Members

I agree with a lot of what you said. I used to really believe the SoapNet argument too and I still do believe that many watch shows there, but Y&R has never been affected by it so I am straying away from the actual affect it has on the ratings now.

When I think about those snow days - all the shows can be grateful for them, but Days esp. because if the trend had continued with the rest of the week. ON the non snow days Days was only at 2.4 - so they would have definitely dropped. The others had pretty good weeks. I think Days would have kept it's position above GL & Passions, but it could have very easily fallen below 2.5 this week. So snow days possibly really helped them the most this week.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The snow storm was on Wednesday everywhere (also Valentine's Day LOL).

I haven't really watched DAYS in two weeks and like everyone said... I guess I am not the only one!! I don't understand everyone's theory on not having a sweeps, but DAYS is far beyond that, they aren't progressing at all. How are they supposed to get $$ (which Corday says is NOT the reason for anything), or viewers if they have NOTHING happening?? The little bones they throw at us with the Steve and Kayla storyline is not enough and NONE of these youngsters, as good as they are, can carry this show.

GH and OLTL have been kicking it though.

• Members

DAYS is suffering from a combination of stories that are either at an early/developmental phase (Nick/Chelsea/Billie, Abby/Max, Shelle) or have become sluggish and repetitive (Sami/Lucas/EJ, John/Steve/EJ). The latter two were absolutely on fire in November and December. Instead of capitalising on the momentum and buzz they created, HS has allowed them to drag and fizzle out. I expect them to heat up again in March as they reach climaxes but I see no reason why that couldn't happen this month, when the numbers are most critical to budget revenue. Hogan's biggest weakness (at least as DAYS HW) has been his pacing. His plots will be fast-paced or exciting for a few episodes but just as they begin to gain momentum, he reverts back to filler material. He needs to be more strategic in his pacing.

I noticed the LUMI proposal got a nice spike for its two episodes. If HS had included a few more big events or twists this month, DAYS would be keeping pace with the ABC soaps (the bottom two at least).

• Members

Hogan is writing suspense and excitement. Look at Steve. My gosh how much more suspenseful and exciting can you be than a man who is brain controlled by a tarot card and goes into a spasm doing all sorts of wild things and what is it the DiMera's have in mind for him? Also, look at the sweet romance with Shawn and Belle (argh), who are risking the life of their child to save her from the man who has loved her from before birth and took care of her and her mom when her mom wasn't able toe ven take care of herself, just because he has come back from the war determined to regain custody of her. Gee, that is suspenseful and exciting as all get outs, besides being the love story of the year. I think Hogan has made a mess of the story of DOOL, even though I can really appreciate his efforts and the huge improvement in delivery and dialog. I think when he sees what turns the fans on, it will be better.

On thing for Hogan....DOOL is about the Horton's. They are the base of the story and you have all but written them out. This must be turned around. No Alice since Christmas even and no member of the family in the hospital or last name of Horton. Sad, too sad.

• Members

PhoenixRising05

I believe B & B rose for 2 reasons. One, on Tuesday, a climatic height of a storyline happened, as Nick took the Foresters down a notch, which fans have been waiting for for a while. And two, Friday had a 20th anniversary episode airing.

If not for that, I believe GH would have beat them. And I still think that is coming.

• Members

Yeah I guess that is why they rose. I was just bored to death with it and I have been broed with B&B for some time. I also don't like how they are pushing Kyle Lowder as Rick down our throats. Total miscast IMO.

I agree Toups. Back in December when Days was action packed and everyone was happy, the ratings still only reached a 2.7. However, I do think if they kept that momentum up they would eventually build up the numbers. I have learned in the past year that it doesn't matter who is featured as long as the stories are good and things are happening. People will tune in for big events and if they know they can't miss a day. That much has been prove this sweeps. Some of the shows that have gone up don't have the best stories but things are happening and they see better numbers as a result. It's not even about the quality. Even when JER was at Days, he would always get nice boosts when things happened or there was an event regardless of how much the execution and writing of it was below average. You need movement and things happening everyday. Days needs to start doing that and build momentum and then stage something big for sweeps or even before it to get people back and then they have to have more action and movement. They need to do it for a long period of time and then, once they have investment again, they have slow it a bit but not like it is now. Something always needs to be happening. That is what they need to do. They need to go back to late November/December/first half of January. They stopped things and slowed down too fast after all that. The fans didn;t get invested yet and the show needed momentum to keep going for awhile longer before stalling things and setting up other stories. I think things will pick up again in march but they need to sustain it for a much longer time.

• Members

I'm not impressed with the direction Bell has taken B & B back to myself. I've been bored since Bell tore Bricky apart, just to go back to Brooke and Ridge, again. :unsure: For me, BB had a chance to move this soap in a new direction with the hiring of Jack Wagner, but, he didn't take it. The show is the same as it was 10 years ago.

I watch maybe a day a week now. I'm surprised it has the ratings it does, but, I've always believed it was because of Y & R. I believe this soap would have problems in later timeslots, because it really isn't that good of a soap opera.

• Members

GH has been excellent this month. I'm not a big mob fan and I've still been following the show every day.

I will never return to AMC

OLTL is getting better, but it still suffers from Higley's inability to move a story along.

I was watching DOOL non-stop from November until February. I've missed it regularly the last two weeks. Please DOOL, go back to what works. It has the best characters and for a while the best stories. Now it's a little dull.

• Members

i honestly think the lack the bo and hope is a big factor in the ratings...I see them being a major ratings factor, even more so than john and marlena...Over the past few years bo and hope have become the faces of Days..and i really hope we aren't being lied to by corday..and that they will have more to do in march..

Archived