GL: Thursday's "Special" Episode...

• Members

Awesome episode!!

I was ROTFLMAO when Crystal C's character asked Kim Z's character "Have you seen tomorrow's script for TV?" And Kim Z replied "Let me guess. I'm in the entire episode." and then Crystal replied "Yes. HAVE A GOOD NIGHT! :D"

:lol:

I would have liked to see Ricky Goldin, Gina Tognoni, Nicole Forrester, and Marj Dusay speak a bit more....but other than that, it was an awesome episode!

OH!.....And Beth Ehlers was PHENOMENAL!!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What a GREAT episode! Absolutely great!

Like someone else said, this was the 70th anniversary of the radio show, so it was more than right that they focused mainly on the radio show and its transition from radio to television. Great performances from EVERYONE! Loved it when Kim Zimmer steps into the studio and goes, "Hi, I'm Charita Bauer." GREAT STUFF!

A biopic about Irna is so overdue! This was just a taste of this woman's life. I want to see a 4-hour epic motion picture documenting her life and creations from the very beginning to the very end. The woman is a [!@#$%^&*] LEGEND!

• Members

I loved this episode. I cracked up when Jack(Robert Bogue)called Irna and said "They Are furious!" Beth Elhers was awesome. By the end of the epsiode I was ready to buy some of that save all soap. Was that a real soap back then? Cause if you think about it and add an s.... "Save all Soaps". A plea perhaps? (This is where I would put the Unsure smilie)

• Members

Agreed! I'm in awe of her... if she were right here in front of me today, I can only imagine the questions I'd ask her. It would probably be the most fascinating conversation I'd ever participate in.

• Members

But you know, even still it was better than the crap the current PTB tell the mags. I'd be a lot more on board with the decisions made by the people in charge if they were half as smart and eloquent as Irna Phillips.

I found this ep so enjoyable, it felt like the first act of a play on Irna Phillips life.

• Members

According to the SOW this week it told something I did not know about Irna and that was she had several great love stories too. It said she was involved with quite a few love stories.

I have always read things about her but the article in SOW and the interviews with Eileen Fulton & Don Hastings where they coached Beth Ehlers there were some things pointed out that I forget about Irna.

It states that one time she was meeting with the cast the CBS execs and they were telling her what they wanted. After they all left, she looked at her cast and staff and said okay gang you heard what they said - now here is what we are going to do. Don Hastings was in on that meeting.

From what Eileen said she and Irna didn't get along all that well, but they respected one another.

It talked about how Irna would fire people on a dime. I know she fired several Jim Matthews and Liz Matthews the first week of Another World because she didn't like their look. I think I remember reading she fired Helen Wagner early on in ATWT's run too.

Don Hastings recalls one time they were testing for a new love interest for someone on ATWT and the male star had to test with them. He didn't put all into the test he should have and Irna fired him. He told that one day she came on the set and she didn't like one of the female stars hairdo's and told Ted Corday to talk to her or she was fired.

That is just paraphrasing.

Irna Phillips was an amazing woman and there would be so much there for a movie on her.

And some asked about Save All - from the way I read SOW it was an early sponsor on the Guiding Light radio show.

• Members

I don't know Dru I didn't get that they were trying to justify Tammy's death - just using it as a tie in showing how GL's first controversial death was handled. Kathy was not the first character GL had killed off because Mama Bauer died in 1950 from cancer, and then Meta's husband and Kathy's dad, Joe Roberts, had died. I think Kathy was just the first really popular one that had been killed. It was a historical moment in GL history and the first time that fans were so outraged over a death. The next two times would be when ATWT killed off Jeff Baker and when Edge of Night killed off Sara Lane Karr. And the next one in the history of soaps that drew a lot of attention was back at GL when they killed off Kathy's step-daughter Robin.

Back then fans stormed the studios with letters. Tammy was popular but I just wonder even though they are making the comparison if the fans will bombard them with letters. Of course the difference now is that most fans knew it was coming and there is not the shock that the early deaths caused. And now fans just don't get as outraged about death because even though it is part of real life - soap deaths really don't mean anything anymore. Because they are just 1 or 2 writing regimes from being undone.

• Members

I just want to say one more thing before I forget it. I have meant to say it all day long. We give Ellen Wheeler and David Kreizman alot of flack - almost everyday. But I want to tip my hat to them. Everything about today's show was great to me. They made that one historical error, but other than that I didn't see anything else. The cast was wonderful, the direction was great, the writing was good. Just overall good job.

Archived