GL: Thursday's "Special" Episode...

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Something I noticed was that as the hour ended, I found myself wanting MORE! I wanted to see Irna creating ATWT and helping it get up off the ground. I wanted to see Agnes coming in as GL's headwriter. I just wanted MORE!!

Screw a feature-length movie. I'd love a daytime telenovela based on Irna's life. It could span a year and basically tell how she created each of her shows. SOAPnet, I'm talking to you!

The wikipedia page is a GOLDMINE for hilarious/psychotic/brilliant Irna anecdotes!

• Members

Also, I found on Wikipedia that she didn't want anyone to know that she had died. :huh: She ordered her family not write an obituary. Instead, a family friend (obviously tricking the system...lol) wrote it. Agnes Dixon found out when she called to wish her Happy Holidays. (BTW, I wonder how she died.)

Very, very strange woman. But she was brilliant!!

• Members

Yeah, I agree, Irna Phillips's life sounds fascinating. Actually, they could do this telenovela for several of the founder soap writers, and keep the story going as Irna fades into the background and Agnes Nixon and Bill Bell become more prominent as you say. It wouldn't just need to be based on Irna's life.

By the way, I feel like P&G should have been more self-congratulatory today about how important they were to soaps, and how all the soaps on air today owe them. I was surprised I never once heard the words Procter and Gamble today.

• Members

Here's my favorite Irna Phillips story as described by Maureen Russel's Days of Our Lives: A Complete History of the Long-running Soap Opera

"On one of her first visits to California, Irna attended a story meeting with Ted Corday, Bill Bell, Joe Behar, and a few others. Both Bell and Behar remember the room as small, with nearly bare concrete walls. Halfway thought the meeting, a painting the only object on the walls, suddenly fell from its hook and hit Irna squarely in the head! Nurses were summoned, and Irna was quickly taken to nearby St. Joseph's Hospital as her stunned companions could only sit and wonder at the seeming impossibility of the accident. Irna was fine, but as Bell attested 'Boy, was she in a bad mood.'"

Archived