GL: Thursday's "Special" Episode...

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Irna Phillips had decided to kill off a popular character (Kathy?) and fans were outraged. So, she wrote a letter to the fans telling them that part of life's experience is tragedy, and death of loved ones... at the end of the show, we saw Robert Newman (black & white) reading similar words on the radio about death existing with life... then we fade to the hospital room with Jonathan watching over Tammy, as Josh and Cassie watch from outside the window.

"It is difficult to try to reconcile ourselves to the loss that has left such an empty place in our lives. To those who, today, are mourning the loss of a loved one, may these words enter into their hearts and bring them peace, in the thought that there is no death... only the body dies. The spirit remains with us, always. There is a destiny that makes us brothers. None goes his way alone. All that we send into the lives of others comes back into our own."

• Members

I am not a viewer of Guiding Light...but I tuned in today just to see the 70th anniversary show.

I was really impressed.

Learning about how this show got started was really interesting.

Everyone did a great job.

Irma was one scary lady though.

I was waiting for her to make a remark about some wire hangers there for a minute!

• Members

That sounds so poignant, but I'm not that sentimental. I wish I were. They shouldn't have killed off Tammy. The whole sequence was rushed, but I understand the philosophy.

@Helena

Winds does not have the clips uploaded yet. Maybe later tonight.

• Members

As far as them rushing the segment about killing Tammy. That wasn't rushed that was just blending back to yesterday's show. The whole episode yesterday was about Tammy's death. She actually died yesterday. They just used the parrallel of Kathy's death to tie into the current show where Tammy has died too.

As to the death of Kathy - that was an Irna trademark with her shows. Regular characters were not safe with her at all. She killed off Kathy and then not too many years later Robin (her step-daughter was killed too). Both of them by Irna. She had returned to the show full time when Agnes Nixon left to go to Another World.

Lucy Ferri was so upset by Irna killing off Robin that it is my understanding she had Irna fired that time around.

As to Irna killing Kathy to boost ATWT's ratings. ATWT wasn't doing so back in 1958 when Kathy was killed. The first part of 1958 they were dead last, and by the end of 1958 they had moved up to 1st. GL suffered the most dropping from 1st to 3rd but only from a 10.1 to a 9.7

So I guess it did help them. But I have also read that Irna didn't know what to do with Kathy. Even though she was not Robin's real mother, she had basically raised Robin. Irna made the big mistake of aging Mike Bauer to the same age as Robin Holden and then they were later even aged a little more. It really hurt Kathy's age because she was younger than Bertha but now was on the same level as Bertha. So it was another reason that she was expendable.

• Members

I would have liked a clip show too but this was more of an anniversary of the debut of the radio show - so them focusing more on the early years, the radio program and the transformation from Radio to TV was fine with me.

They will have their 55th anniversary of the TV show this year. They will probably do a clip show for it.

• Members

Yeah Steve is right. You will probably get the clip show later this year for the TV anniversary.

What a great show. Ehlers was gopod. Just an all together good job and the ending was a great way to end it with the parallels between Kathy's death and Tammy's.

Everyone did a superb job. It was a good tribute to GL and a nice history lesson for fans of both GL and soaps in general.

I was really impressed.

Archived