Guiding Light cancelled?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

People also need to understand the ATWT/GL are a package deal. Why do you think they are renewed at the same time?

Also, while the other soaps have fallen in their ratings (every other week or so), GL has remained stable. Being a 2.1 may not be great, but it's not a 1.7 and that's the difference. Now once Passions is gone that may be another story, but GL has the ability to grow once more changes are made. There are over 2.5 million viewers (loyal) who watch the show every week. The other's just need a reason to come back.

• Members

I thought the same thing. There is no reason why another soap would have to be cancelled to fit Days into CBS's line up. If that is the route they decide to take. I would love to see Days surpase the 09 date. I have little faith in NBC right now, but even less in ABC.

Hypothetically, if CBS took Days they would have an advantage over ABC. Leaving the two fighting it out for rating. Would ABC step it up, or pull out completely? It is hard to say, but I know I do not want Frons anywhere near Days.

Hopefully this remain a rumor for GL. Personally don't watch, but it sucks to thing your soap is the next on the block.

• Members

Oh, I know it's not. It's just a feeling I have and it's based on what has happened in the past and what Days is and has the potential to be. I would say the same thing if Y&R or GH was in the position Days was in. I think B&B can be thrown in to as it's a half hour and it does very well, including overseas.

Those 4 shows have great appeal, are very popular, and have tremendous potential if given the right support and direction.

Oh, and I do think Cynthia Watros returning would help GL big time. I like the show right now but would LOVE to see her return :D

• Members

Anyway, back to the GL discussion for me...

I've been watching it in the last week or so, and I've noticed some things.

First, production values. They're not terrible, but wow... nothing like I remembered the GL I loved back in 1997 - 2000. They use less sets than before (but that's happened with pretty much every soap, no?) but the visual appeal of the show just isn't as soft and "soapy" as it looks before. I don't know if they're using a different lens or what, but I don't like it. Still, though.. not bad at all compared to some others. Just a sharp contrast compared to what I was used to with the show before. Also, the sets are VERY small compared to the great vast GL sets I was used to. It's sad to see GL like this... it's like a shell of its former glory. Man, I used to LOVE GL from 1997 - 2000. Crazy Annie Dutton, Wendy Moniz as Dinah, the Nursery Rhyme Stalker and Joie Lenz as Michelle with Paul Anthony Stewart's Danny... great, great stuff. And Patti D'Arbanville as Selena! Anyway, back on topic...

I've also noticed that they don't feature very many actors on the episodes anymore, do they? Is the cast really that small nowadays, or do they just not have the budget to use more than a few per episode? They also tend to focus on only one or two stories per episode, I've noticed.

Anyway, the Tammy/Jonathan/Lizzie story is intriguing to me. When did Lizzie grow up to be such a scheming, conniving little psychopath? I miss little Hayden Panettiere! She's like a mix between a YOUNG Sami Brady and Jan Spears on Days. Then there's Tammy, who really, really annoys me. Is it just me, or would she be perfect for the role of Courtney on GH? Anyway, Tammy acts so holier-than-thou and ugh... I just don't like her. I do love Jonathan/Pelphrey, though... and I always have from the bits and pieces I've seen before. And does Beth Chamberlain never change her hair? She's had this same style for over a decade! LoL Looks great on her, though. And the woman never ages, either! Wowza.

• Members

ActuallyI'm not exaggerating. The fans of the show tell me there are one or two sets that are mostly used as it is. I don't watch "GL" that much so I don't know if it's true, my scenario is a likely one, come, say, 2010. Because if advertisers are paying less for soaps, yet actors' salaries (particularly those of vets) raise each year, or however often it is they renogotiate (since they have to have a raise each time), then that could force the lack of sets altogether!

And the show wouldn't be $1.98 per episode. It would cost just the cast and crew and writers' salaries.

• Members

Yes but not to the extent of these 4. B&B does fantastic overseas and does well here. Y&R is Y&R even if it's not as good as it once was. GH and Days have huge fanbases and get lots of media coverage. If you were to do a survey of a large scope of people, the majority would tell you they watch Days, GH, or Y&R or some combination of them. B&B benefits from Y&R mostly so people who watch Y&R will watch that as well most likely.

It's not knocking other soaps. It's just those shows shows, moreso the big 3 (Days, GH, and Y&R), are on a different level. They are more likely to come up in general conversation. They are hyped more and are constantly in the media limelight. Passions was just like that early on when it started. Those 3 are still like that with B&B sometimes in there too. AMC you could toss in there as far as getting media coverage but the other 3 just seem to get the hype and focus a bit more based on my observations.

The easiest way to say this is to say if you had a popularity meter and went around asking a large amount of random people in several states or whatever, those 3 soaps would probably be the answer in most cases to the question of what soap or soaps do you watch. You may find the other soaps in there as well but not to the extent of the other 3, 4 if you want to throw in B&B.

• Members

Honestly, I really think that GL is going to get renewed again this year.

1. As everyone has been saying it is a milestone year. I know it has happened to other shows but this is 70 years.

2. They are staying steady in the ratings. Are they low yes obviously, but with the drop of a hat that could change look how close the soaps have been the past few months.

3. They seem to have more support of the network. I have seen more ads for the show in the past 6 months then I have in the last 5 years.

4. Tptb seem to have future plans. Ok this one could just be my wishful thinking but who's idea was this find your light campaign? I know they have plans to travel all over the country for the entire year and I think if I was in charge and really thought this is it we are going to end I don't think I would have done something so elaborate and planned out(maybe that is just me).

Maybe this is all wishful thinking but I sincerely hope we get a little more time.

• Members

I am so sick of people assuming that GL is the worst soap on air when they haven't even been watching it lately. :rolleyes:

The writing suddenly became good again with the Tammy/Jonathan exit story. I can honestly say this is the best stuff I've seen on any soap in months. There seems to be a plan in mind with how stories are going to develop in the next few months, the acting is great, as is the direction (I was in awe with Monday's previews of the car accident...it actually gave me chills), even the music is contributing to the dark atmosphere of the show...the overall production of the show in the last week has been coherent and well-done.

Yeah, the sets are small but they still have more than one set. Also, sets aren't everything. I once directed a play that only had one set but the focus was more on the story. I doubt it'll happen but if, God forbid, GL is reduced to a one-set budget, I still think the acting and character writing could keep it afloat.

At this point, I'd be more worried about ATWT. Look at the drop they took in the last week. <_<

• Members

See, that's where (sorry fans!) I just , by moral obligation, HAVE to disagree.

I mean, if the show were reduced to one set, it just couldn't work.

This isn't primetime. If it were "Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place," and the show, which airs once a week, for only 22 episodes a season, aired in just one set -- the pizza plac e-- it'd be fine. But this is a SOAP. It lasts ONE hour, not 30 minutes (with commercials), and it airs HUNDREDS of episodes a year and almost every week day. It's also a multigenerational show with characters that, unlike the pizza show, wouldn't cross paths every day.

It really would NOT work. And I'd say that for any soap.

Archived