Guiding Light cancelled?

• Members

Yes it is! I'm sorry but you have seen what has happened in just the last 20 days of 2007:

- Passions is rumored to be canceled and then it is!

- ABC begins hinting that they will pull the plug on a daytime drama.

- More rumors swirl that "GL" is to be next.

- Oh and to mention Jeff Zucker has basically said that "DAYS" is done in 2009 at least on NBC if something big doesn't change.

How can you not say that canceling a soap is a good idea! I remember a few years ago, not that long ago when DAYS was in the crapper, the ratings sucked and people were talking cancelation, just because Hogan is there NOW doesn't mean it is going to stay gold forever, believe I know, I sat through his tenure at ATWT and when it was good, it was GREAT, and it was bad it was okay and when it was awful it was both boring an awful.

We have enjoyed watching soaps and I believe we have taken them for granted to long! It's proven in the LAST 20 days to spread like wildfire, what part of that does everyone not see???? It is a chain reaction...pick up the latest soap magazine and look, DAYS is only ahead of GL by .04 so yes the ratings may suck for GL, but they suck for DAYTIME as a whole! I think we need to unity as fans of the community together and hope for no cancelation, be it GL, ATWT or DAYS!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As far as scenes go and where they take place? Seriously? That's your grounds on why GL shoud be canned?? Yes the Cedars set blows...but if they were good stories and good acting, they could set in freaking phone booth for all care! And it seems as though, all the Passion hate has transferred to GL...what does happen if (knock on wood) it gets canned?? HHMM...then what?? ATWT hates? OLTL hate? DAYS hate?

UNITE TOGETHER AS A COMMUNITY THAT LOVES DAYTIME!!

I don't like or watch Passions, but I defended it and hoped it wouldn't happen.

• Members

I heard also one of those markets carry it on a one-day delay, just like it was for me when it first moved to 10 AM, but that got rectified over a year later

But, yes, it is bad to hear about a cancellation of a show. Esp. a show that hit such a milestone of 70 years in radio and television. But, as we have stated time and time again, anything right now is possible and plausible. Look at what the Black Week has brought us...Rumors circulating about GMA, Cady/Dixie AMC debacle, PSNS cancellation news...shall I go on. We may be worried out of our minds, but yet, I can't help but think that this wouldn't surprise me in the least if this were to happen.

• Members

Josh, again, unlike the "Passions" haters, I'm NOT being meanspirited.

I honestly think it's sad if GL had to take place in one set all the time. If that were true for "Passions, "and it meant no more adventures and no more, well, interesting stuff going on (how interesting CAN it be, regardless of writing and acting, if it takes place in a phone booth), I would have to say things would be for the best if it ended GRACEFULLY. (After all, would I really want things to get so bad, financially, that this well acted and written ensemble show would soon have to take place in the bathroom of CBS studios?!)

• Members

Well, both of the local CBS affiliates here air GL at 3 pm eastern time. Those two stations are WLKY-32 in Louisville, Kentucky and WTVF-5 in Nashville, Tennessee. Louisville is on eastern time, and Nashville on central time...which makes it 2 pm central time.

• Members

I mean, honestly, can you see it?

INT - bathroom

Reva: Harley, hi.

Harley: Hi, Reva.

Reva: Washing your hands, I see.

Harley: I always do...

Reva: Oh, no, no, no ! I meant nothing by that, I didn't mean you had poor hygiene.

Harley: Really...

Reva: Yes.

(Beat)

Harley: So, how are things with Josh?

Reva: Things are good. Things are good.

Josh (peeking in the door): Honey, are you almost done? We're going to miss the show.

HONESTLY! Can you really say that would be better (having all scenes take place in the studio bathroom) than cancellation?

• Members

Am I the only one remembering CBS might have a slot open in a year or two? Does anyone really think TPIR will survive for long without Bob Barker? By '09, CBS might pay through the nose for a show the college kids watch.

I say CBS gets DOOL, and keeps it airing at noon. Built in audience, built in demos.

• Members

You're missing the point! And it was very harsh and it is very harsh to say that a show should be canceled based on the sets! Seriously?

Why should it be any different than it was for Passions? PSSNS was an 7 year old soap, while GL yes is not as good as it once was, but is still an instution in the daytime community. No other soap, will ever see what GL will see next week, 70 years, shall we respect the grandmother of daytime.

Archived