The Golden Years

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ICAM! I was so hooked on OLTL during that period. AMC, B&B, OLTL, DAYS, and Y&R were ALL so good then. Gotta love that scheduling in St Louis! Here was my taping lineup at the time:

11AM-12PM- AMC

1230PM- B&B

1 PM- OLTL

2PM- DAYS

4PM- Y&R

I miss those days. Soaps were actually worth watching then. :(

• Members

AMC:

1979-1984 Although AMC was great from the start, 1979 was the year we first met Palmer and Nina Cortlandt and I think AMC really hit its stride with the Cortlandt/Chandler feud. Imo, 1982 was arguably the best year in AMC history, involving several classic couples: Cliff/Nina, Greg/Jenny, Jesse/Angie, Palmer/Daisy, Phoebe/Langley, and Chuck/Donna. For me, the show lost something special when they killed off Jenny in the summer of 1984.

1987 This is my other choice for arguably AMC's best year ever. When Jorn Winter returned as producer, he brought the Cortlandt/Chandler storyline to new heights, as well as what I think was the best depiction of drug abuse on TV with Erica's half-brother Mark Dalton.

• Members

well for me

DAYS from 92(when I first started watching) to 98 (JERS first run) then it got good again in the first 8 or 9 months on JERS second run. And I am really enjoying hogans work. Honrrable metion to The Brash and Cwickly era.

Passions was dynomite up untill timmy died and something happen. Passions golden moments is any hing super outlais i.e Bolly wood, Morma and EDNA, Precious, EDNA jail boradway muscial type thing.

Sunset Beach was very good up till the last 7 or 8 months.

I watch Y&R too but a newer fan. I love what i amseeing right now to some extent ll of Bells tenure was golden.

AW People are going to kall me krazy but yes I did enjoy JILL PHARREN PHELPS run on here. Started watching this show in 92 as well

Savvannah was very good in its first two season esp the first one

Melose place was good until the last two seasons i started atching after the complex expolsin

Pacific palisades was good too

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

"PASSIONS"

July 5, 1999 to December 2001... SO many incredible "boxed" stories: "The PASSIONS Storm," "The Turning Point," "Day of Reckoning," "Fatal Farewell," "The Final Fury" (Yes, that was, and I loved Hell in the Closet)...OH, BABY!

"The Summer of PASSIONS" in 2002 (Theresa on death row, wax Theresa, "Ghost" Theresa scares Rebs and Ivy; Julian and Timmy's adventures; Sheridan returns to Harmony :wub:)

Summer of 2003 -- It was all about SHERIDAN IN THE PIT, baby!!! :wub:

I may post more as I remember...

• Members

Another World - the golden years were from about 1967 to about 1981. It has some good years after that but they never measured up to those.

And as to Days, I know most think the golden years were the 90's, but they don't even compare to the talk and the ratings that the show got in the 70's.

From about 1970 until about 1978 Days was one of the 3 most popular soap operas and was the first show to put stars on the cover of Time magazine. Those were the golden years.

And I even think from about 1983 to 1985 the show was even more popular than it was in the 90's. It got lots of talk in the 90's but some was ridicule talk then. I know that some believe that any publicity is good publicity. Yes people were talking about Days in the 90's but as much as I enjoyed Marlena's possession and the buried alive story - they were very well received by everyone in or outside of the industry.

The talk in the 70's and the 80's (the good years) was all good. Those were the true golden years.

As to GH - no doubt the late 70's and early 80's were in many ways the golden years, but I think the top critical years were when Claire Labine was the headwriter.

• Members

Even though I am liking the show right now, it is still nothing compared to the years you gave, because 1999 is defiantly when it went into boring Y&R, but like I said it is alot less boring now than it was though.

As for B&B it's always in it's golden years, there is just always ups and down's every year, but every year always has at least one great storyline

I never really watched ATWT before 1995 on a daily base but I would say 1995-2004 were the good years, also the summer of 2006.

• Members

Golden Years for my soaps!

Days of Our Lives: 1967-1979; 1983-1987; 1990-1991; 1993-1998; 2003-2004

Another World: 1967-1981; 1987-1993; 1996-1997

Somerset: 1971-1974; 1976

Santa Barbara: 1984-1989

The Doctors: 1966-1977

Search for Tomorrow: 1982-1986(Only started watching it when it moved to NBC)

Guiding Light: 1981-1987; 1992-1994; 2005(Watched GL from; 1980-1989; 1991-1996; 2004-present)

Dallas: 1978-1986

Archived