Lost: Discussion Thread

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

My favorite moments from the finale:

- Kickass Kate shooting Flocke

- Jack/Flocke's final fight/showdown

- Ben and Locke's final scene outside the church: Locke forgiving Ben and Ben telling Locke he can walk

- the opening sequence/montage with Michael Giacchino's awesome music playing

- Kate/Jack kiss

- all the reunions/memories

- Jack/Hurley's last scene where Jack "passes the torch" to Hurley

- Miles: "I don't believe in much, but I believe in duct tape." :lol:

- the final montage of everybody together

I wish we got to see the Penny/Desmond reunion - they were one of my fav couples along with Sun/Jin.

• Members

But where did Michael die? I think if you die on the island (or its environs) and do bad things you get stuck whispering.

I thought it was a neat finale. I need to watch it again though just to make sure I have it all understood. Near as I can tell when Jack died he used his Jacob powers to create this alternate timeline so he could see everyone again.

And the end with Vincent was especially sweet. I wish Vincent got to go into the church though.

• Members

They said the island wasn't purgatory. And according to Mr Shepard it was real. I get a little confused about Juliet's nuke though. I thought her detonating the nuke is what created the alternate timeline (and she said "it worked") but that doesn't seem to be the case. Or maybe it was and this was just all part of Jacob's complex web to take care of all his Lostie children.

• Members

I think the show is the most deplorable peace of sh*t ever to see the light of day. Which does not mean I haven't enjoyed the six seasons immensely. But it was pure crap.

You know, sometimes people say something "made no sense" even when it did, just a bit, but this show really made no sense at all. It was a pure hack-job and the show together with the finale will make the annals of worst shows/worst finales ever.

The plane crashes on a tropical island. Soon pandemonium erupts replete with Egyptian statues, hieroglyphs, mysterious black horse that pops out of nowhere, polar bears, there is a kid with special powers, a sail ship from the 19th century, the Cabin, which vanishes and reappears at different places on the Island, ruins, temples, weird Frenchwoman, ultrapowerful initiatives and foundations, whispers, Numbers, submarines, nukes, hatches, dreams, visions, books, games, pregnancies, electromagnetic phenomena, the Source, dead people walking, dead people being ghosts... :rolleyes:

Absolutely hilarious.

In the end everyone dies (as I kept saying all along that they will). How exactly? If, as Toups says, Jack was the last one to reconcile himself to 'reality', whatever 'reality' means in this show's universe, how can that be when those people boarded on a plane and left the Island? He was the last one to reconcile himself, but not the last to die? Why on Earth did they come back in the first place?

If you could provide a plausible and dead simple sequence of events, I'd be thankful.

• Members

well I think I have it figured out mostly. The light is basically The Force or God. Jacob is something like Obi-Wan Kenobi or Yoda who guards the cave just as they did in SW where Luke had to enter the cave that was home of the force. The cave is home to all good and love and evil but if you pull the plug it is the end of everything. Desmond has some sort of immunity to electro magnetic forces (as well as an ability to see the future) and was the only one who could enter the cave and survive to pull the plug that would destroy the island thus allowing Locke to go free.

The alternate timeline was created either by jacob, jack himself, or jacob with the help of the nuke to give Jack a place to process being dead and reunite with all the people that mattered to him when the time came. They all died at differing points in time (Aaron for all we know lived to be 100) and Desmond was chosen to be the one to let everyone know the truth. People like Mrs Hawkings don't get to move on either because they are not truly good or they just don't rate in Jack's world (as perhaps this is why Daniel Farraday can't come with them). Ben is stuck in this limbo but for his good works he isn't consigned to whisper on the island the way Michael is. In Jack's heaven everyone got reunited with their loved ones (which is why Penny, who he never met, was there) and they will all go together to wherever it is they are going. Jack deserves this for sacrificing himself for the island.

There are some things unanswered (the numbers, the statue, Walt's powers) but these are just things we have to make up our own answers for. My theory is Jacob rigged the lottery for Hurley for whatever plot element I am forgetting which made use of Hurley's money--maybe making him so not into material things that he would of course be willing to care for the island. The statue is just a remnant of an ancient civilization from a couple thousand years ago, and Walt we have to make allowances for because the kid grew tall too fast.

I thought it was very nice, sort of the end of Titanic meets the end of Lord Of The Rings crossed with religion and Star Wars.

• Members

I am happy for you. Sincerely. I wish I felt that way.

I quoted your first line too because I just can't get a hold of the timeline. What happened when? It makes no sense, it is all so schizo. Sure, a (crappy) way to get out of it is to say: This is Lost, there time passes in a different way.

The show really collapsed under its own weight, that it just couldn't handle, the finale was just the utter implosion of it all.

Carlton Cuse & Damon Lindelof are just shallow people. Imagine a violin player. He knows a lot about music, his knowledge of repertoire is exemplary. But his playing is mediocre and he just can't pull the depth and meaning of works satisfactorily. That's what Cuse & Lindelof are. Lindelof is an utter geek, a childish, immature writer, and Cuse is just a hack (Nash Bridges, anyone?!). These people just couldn't handle a 'theeeeeme' like good vs. evil, free will vs. predestination, it is too much for them. Not to say anything how absolutely tired it all is and shouldn't be so evident on a TV show.

It was all rather unfortunate.

If they knew this was how it was going to end and they themselves insisted on show having a defined end date (and now we all know the real reasons), they should've restrained themselves from pouring more bull into the narrative (sail ship, black horse...). They should've tightened it up.

As an MSNBC writer said: There are fates worse than wondering — like finding out the answer, for instance.

Archived