Lost: Discussion Thread

• Members

I think Hurley never dropping a pound was one of the things that made me tune out, along with the smoke monster. Although if the were all dead, it would explain why he never lost weight.

Luckily I didn't watch it during the time hop seasons.

As for the lying, and crappy writing maybe this show's over-priase is what makes Maria and Hogan on Y&R think their [!@#$%^&*] don't stink.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've only watched the first two seasons, and thought they were pretty damn good. Sans the gay smoke monster. Most of it was people crashing on the island, trying to get home. Thank God, I never wasted my time with the rest of the show, and now, thanks to the crap ass finale, never will.

Plus, after they killed off my favourite characters, Boone and Shannon, I lost a lot of interest. Sexy half naked Sawyer is not enough.

In the end, this is what the show amounts too ...

Lost - the show written on SHROOMS!

No other explanations are valid.

• Members

Eh, it's not like there is a person on this world that would be capable of writing a finale that would satisfy everyone. It's just a shame they didn't manage to do something more creative, seeing as how they had all the time in the world.

I hated the death of Boone and Shannon as well; and I can only image how my reaction will be once I finish the second season and another three character are dead. Why did they invest time in those three characters if they wrote all of them off anyway?

But sorry for jumping on another theme, this should be about the finale.

• Members

Wait. Stop.

First, Boone and Shannon were sickos and good riddance.

Second, and I know you'll think I'm contradicting myself, but I think I'm not, the fact that in our journey we arrived at a landfill, one of those barren space landscapes littered with all sorts of trash, and not a lush tropical paradise, does not mean that it wasn't worth it. It was salvagable, up to a certain point, all the way until the finale. The finale fucked things up.

• Administrator

Yup, it's something like that. Here's what Christian said to Jack: “Well, this is the place that you all made together so that you could find one another. The most important part of your life was the time that you spent with these people. That’s why all of you are here. Nobody does it alone, Jack. You needed all of them and they needed you.”

Yup.

Christian: “Everyone dies sometime, kiddo. Some of them before you. Some… long after you.”

That's why Kate said to Jack in the sideways, "I've missed you so much." Jack died on the island, while Kate went on to live her life off the island.

Daniel, Ben, Michael, didn't come with them because it wasn't his time yet. They probably still need to wait for someone. With Ben, he could possibly be waiting for Alex and Rousseau and with Michael, he could be waiting for Walt.

Yup. The people who gathered at the Church didn't follow Christian to heaven, they sat down in the pews. So maybe they're waiting for Michael, Walt, Daniel, etc, until they become "awakened" and then they all go to heaven together.

• Administrator

Right. The island wasn't purgatory. Christian: "Everything that’s ever happened to you is real."

What someone said at another board which I thought was beautiful:

When Juliet said "it worked" she was talking about candy machine (just before Juliet/Sawyer's awakening). So when Miles heard Juliet saying "it worked" (that's what he told Sawyer, right, a couple episodes ago?) - that's what he was hearing...he was hearing that conversation....from Juliet's sideways.

This person described how I felt about the series:

I cared more about the characters and their relationships than the mysteries of the island.

• Members

It worked well enough for me. Of course it helps that I checked out after Juliet died. I've watched this season but I often waited days or even weeks to do so and I had no problem walking away from eps that bored me.

For some shows I really like finales that are FINAL, i.e. with a body count, so this was pretty satisfying.

I loved, loved, loved seeing Rose and Bernard again. When people were fighting over Jack/Kate/Sawyer/Juliet all I ever wanted was another glimpse of Rose and Bernard.

I liked the reunions: Claire/Charlie, Sayid/Shannon, Daniel/Charlotte, Sawyer/Juliet, Jin/Sun/baby, etc.. In the church scene, that hug between Jack and Sawyer even managed to give my inner slash fan a little closure. Nice to get a glimpse of Ana-Lucia again too.

Vincent being with Jack when he died was PERFECTION.

I'm disappointed we didn't see Michael/Walt and Eko. After all the time in S1 Michael ran around screaming "Waaaaaaalllt!!" It didn't make any sense for him not to be there. And Eko would've been so proud of Hurley.

I give it a B.

• Administrator

Hmm...."badly"??? Nothing that I wanted so bad. Would I have liked to have more explanations about some stuff about the island's mysteries, yes of course, but overall it wasn't the reason why I watched the show. I enjoyed the characters and there were so many great and memorable scenes - action scenes, or heart-warming scenes or heart-breaking scenes. There's not many shows that do that on a consistent basis. I loved loved loved the music. The location was beautiful to watch. If a show gives me scenes that I will remember and makes me go "Wow! That was awesome....that was beautiful," I will always look back at it in a positive light. But if you give me nothing (for instance the new 90210), I'll have negative feelings towards it and won't care about it as much. I cared about Lost.

• Members

I just feel that the whole show was the narrative equivalent of a diarrhoea. Narrative diarrhoea. It failed dismally to honour the basic principle of writing: Chekhov's gun. Why, why did they have to pump so much mystery into the narrative? Of course, I've already answered that question: it was the only way to keep those few million viewers and die-hard fans coming back. And a desperate one. They had absolutely no idea what they were writing. Lost in a haze of metaphysics and mysticism, they completely lost track of it all.

And what bugs me a lot is that they tried to fool people by catering to their emotions in the finale, giving a "happy ending" replete with lines like the one you quoted (Christian to Jack). Plus romantic string cues.

It just collapsed. The whole Byzantine edifice. Bombed.

I didn't expect them to solve it all, the time wasn't enough (not just for the finale, it would take several seasons to solve all the [!@#$%^&*] they've put in) and they said they wouldn't, but for God's sake... They didn't answer a single thing.

Hacks. Both of them.

• Members

The show was pretty clear in explaining a lot of stuff last night if you thought about what they were saying. The alternate timeline now in hindsight was always the future because we have known since season 2 or 3 that Desmond sees the future. So it had to take place after the events on the island so he could see it. I am sort of annoyed I didn't put that together earlier this year.

• Members

I had to google this. Tawaret was the ancient god of fertility. This sort of ties in from season 3 or 4 when it was revealed every woman who gives birth dies. This requires us to fill in some blanks because the show didn't bother to give us a history of the island and all the people who lived on it over the years. I chalk it up to "atmosphere" and a say a couple thousand years ago they found the island, the women started dying, so they built the statue to protect them.

• Members

I like it how you think, quartermainefan, I do. :) (The finale still sucks, though, bringing down the whole show together with it to the depths of hell.) The goddess didn't help me though, apparently.

So if flash-sideways are the future, that is flash-forwards, flash-forwards are then...?

Archived