Lost: Discussion Thread

• Members

That's a very circular train of thought. "I knew it would make no sense to me, it did not make sense to me and if you try to explain it to me--even if I say I want you to--you are only trying to justify things to yourself because it did not make sense"

oh for a few more answers watch this video

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b182505_lost_want_know_man_in_blacks_real_name.html

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Great thing you brought this up! Because I was thinking of telling you to post whatever you find precisely because I like to read other people's opinions about the show even though in the end I might now share them!! :) :)

It will also help me "get" some thing, hopefully.

As for the show, I enjoyed it too, with its big, fat army of flaws, but the finale for me just trashed everything that happened before it. All those mysteries were just pointless. I realize that these two sentences might seem to make no sense (How can you say you enjoyed it, but at the same time say the finale trashed it all?), but they do. If I look sans the finale, I'm OK with it, if I take into account the finale... At the same time it was all crap and I enjoyed watching it (sans the finale).

My feelings are still, in part, a work in progress.

• Members

No, no, no, no, no. Not I knew it would make no sense — it made no sense. One could argue it made sense as a separate unit (the finale), but if connected to the show... I'm speechless. I am glad you liked it and you've been able to link it all in your head, but I just don't buy many things. Especially fan speculation. God knows one could construct a plethora of big bull theories... And since people in charge won't bother explaining... They just had no idea what they were doing all this time.

Second, yes, I can ask for an explanation, but that doesn't mean I'm going to buy it in the end.

So in the end, people are, in my view, trying to justify this rather unfortunate and deplorable turn of events. The fact that I asked you (you you or you someone else) means: 1. that if you've managed to explain it to yourself, part of it stems from people's desires to justify it and make sense where there is none; 2. even if I don't agree with what you (you you or...), it doesn't mean I won't find something of interest there.

Somehow you've managed to turn my post upside down, and I'm re-reading it now and see no ambiguities in it. Nor your paraphrase of it.

I have absolutely no desire to justify it whatsoever because even though I witnessed it turned into crapola, I don't think my investment in this show was worthless, futile etc.

What I'm going to do is read stuff that'll keep appearing in the next few days, simply because it entertains me, but pretty much nothing will convince me that it wasn't utterly dumb, unfortunate horror.

• Administrator

Wow, that was an awesome read!! I'm so glad one the writers finally spoke about the finale and about the entire series. My guess on who the writer is: Greggory Nations. Now I'm just waiting for Darlton to speak, but I guess we'll have to wait for the DVDs for that. :(

More posts:

[on why women can't have babies]

Writer: The incident (the release of the electromagnitism that resulted in the Swan station being built) caused the infertility of the women on the island.

---------------------

Poster: I believe the enormous ramification of pulling the plug was making Flocke mortal, it was the only way to kill him.

Writer: Absolutely true ... And, in terms of the bigger picture, if the "cork" had remained out, then the island would have been destroyed, allowing whatever the plug was stopping (the evil of the world as Jacob called it) loose. This would in fact, destroy the world.

---------------------

[on why Desmond, Penny, Libby were in the church]

Writer: Technically, Desmond and Penny all existed in Season 1 as Desmond was in the hatch the whole time (and the writer's always planned on bringing them into the show from the pilot). I forgot Libby was in there though ... but she didn't have a line so it's cool.

• Members

yall have some intense conversations. lol.

all i cared about is sayid/shannon, juliet is jacks baby daddy and reuinted with swayer, claire was pretty..

yeah, thats it. oh and jack died, as he should of, and i cried. a lot. because i loved him.

• Members

I will.

Thats just lazy. And sad.

m glad i have never been into figuring out what lost means and the mythology and all of that because id be pissed.

Im a fanboy for characters, and for me the finale was pretty perfect. But if i watched for anything else... yeah, id be pissed. I dont mind the unanswered questions because i hate it when shows or movies are wraped up with a bow and everything is explained away, but... i dont know. this seems lazy. its like ok, you have a begining and an ending, but what about the middle? wasnt the point of the series that it all adds together? you can pretty much watch the pilot, maybe you will need a few other episodes here and there, and the finale and it will work the same.

• Members

Precisely.

It was all just a MOVIE!!! <_< Awful.

Further more, I don't get some things Nations is saying.

For example, Dharma was good. It was corrupted by the Man in Black and destroyed by Ben. Then he asks whether it was there to help Jack and did it have Candidates we were never aware of? :blink: That means: 1. it wasn't destroyed, some are still "out there" and 2. I'm not sure I see how it helped Jack?

Second thing I don't get is Hurley. Hurley, the Protector of the Island, was — evul? :blink: And wasn't allowed into the sideways? What? How can the Protector be evul? Which also reminds me: now you can visit the Island?

That's just too much!

What exactly is the cork? How can you un-plug it then plug it back in?

I need rest.

It's better for writers to just keep quiet.

More answers will lead to more questions... As many put it and it's true.

The show's been turned into an... Allegory or whatever. A serene landscape, a fairy tale about how good wins. I like it that good wins, but that's just infantile (to me), it was not what I was 'hoping' for.

I don't know...

The many intricacies of this Island were just... BAM! removed once you turned it into a biblical story of good vs. evil.

Plus they made faith and science enemies. That's just wrong.

• Members

This is also fun (can't stop the questions, sorry):

The question is baffling. It's as if it says: the Smoke Monster shouldn't have turned mortal when the Light went off because the Smoke Monster was taking the form of Locke. An 'immortal' being taking the body of a mortal makes it mortal or does it stay immortal? LOL.

The answer:

The Light robbed the Man in Black of his body (humanity). But it also robbed him of the power of body jumping and morphing. Yet! he was able to jump into Locke's body. :unsure: Once there, it was mortal, trapped and la-la-la.

Who should've been affected and why?

What would've happened if someone else was able to send it there (other than Jacob)?

Also — Mother had "godly rules"? :blink: Yet killed a woman and did all sorts of other things? And the real mother of the two was evul? :blink: How did that happen?!

:rolleyes:

• Members

LO; I have to read that. :)

BTW, that thing they were in wasn't a church, d'oh: it was "something resembling a church but awash with pan-religious symbolism – a stained glass window had an Om, a cross, a yin-yang symbol, a Star of David and a wheel".

Archived