DAYS: 2 Big Firings...

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thank you again!! :lol:

No one is saying they don't have fans but, like Drew, people need to look at this realistically and it looks like a good number are.

Yeah KR I remember you liking it and I remember myself defending it too until the spring when it started getting boring and I realized Carrie and Austin were done IMO.

Oh, and let's just keep this going. It has been awhile since we had a good Days thread like this. I love debates like this.

• Members

You are a very balanced viewer. The show has to be savy at this point to maintain it's existance. I am a fan of a lot of couples and characters on the show, but the fact is I would rather have Days around a few more years, and lose some of my favorites, than to not have it at all.

I know I'm new here, but I'm not new to this show. I love AP & CC, but they were the lesser of the evils. They have not had the same essential spark this time as they did in their previous run, and this will end the quad. It's a new day, and I'll support the show like I have supported it for the last 22 years. Bring on Hogie!

• Members

You know something? I'm not surprised by this, and I'm not really upset either. This tells me they'll likely be written out together with a happy ending. When Reilly brought them back onto the canvas, he immediately thrust the characters into the same old story we saw a decade ago. If you don't have anything new for them, drop them from the canvas and let them have a good sendoff.

That said, I will be very sorry to see them go.

• Members

And if they all left again, the show would survive. I understand how people could be upset, but what I don't understand is with all the improvements in dialouge and character interaction, how can anyone be totally down on Days.

They are really trying to fix it, and that means making creatively smart, but hard to swallow decisions. It's show biz folks, and it's rarely pretty. However, you have to admit, they have made improvements lately. We have an Emmy winning scribe, Steve and Mary Beth back, Marlena acting like an individual and not some brain washed idiot.....I see hope for the future right now. Or maybe I'm just an optimist...

• Members

Here is where I stand:

1. I think this is a foolish decision. It is very bad timing. A/C on the heels of J/J on the heels of a new writer and a big transition = YIKES, to me, personally. However, I do not, NOR have I said that I was tuning out due to A/C. I said I was never so close to doing so and NEVER so upset with DAYS. Even during Joe's firing and Louise's and the SSK, I was gripped by DAYS.

2. I fear if one of the show's couples can go, what else can happen due to these budget cuts. Not only people being fired, but people leaving on their own as well.

3. I fear DAYS will lose some its nuances due to the cuts. I don't know...sets and things. Things I can't even think of. Things that make DAYS DAYS.

4. I simply don't believe that if you got rid of ENOUGH of the new/boring/useless characters, you wouldn't have made up for this somehow.

5. If this had to happen, honestly, I would have feel better if Patrick and Bonnie's names were released first. It sounds bad/weird, I know. But I don't care. I would feel better knowing they are gone too. If they are announced soon, I will feel a LITTLE better about this.

6. I hate having A/C go out like this being so BLAH and BAD in people's minds. I see the magic/potential in them still. And I know I am not alone. I recognize the fact that they did not live up to a lot of people's expectations.

That is as clear and concise as I am going to get my thoughts.

• Members

Oh, and........

Point #7 would be......so what if PR, KA, DH, and DH are still there? I don't think the stories are all that great on DAYS right now to combat ten cast departures if they keep choosing, IMO, foolish cuts. Bo is constantly a victim. I hate it. I hate how he grovels at that !@#$%^&*]'s feet. Hope is a whore. I don't know who she is as a character anymore. She's dumb. And she's pregant with the baby of a character I have never hated as badly than anyone ever. DH are in limbo. Nothing going on there. So, the point is, yeah, I want these people on too. But I want good stories for them. It's not going to matter if the stories suck. Which brings me to point........

#8. I need a preview/interview from Hoagie ASAP so I can feel hopeful again.

But on the plus side, if A/C's next story was going to involve E.J. and a f*cking turbo engine, then I am glad they are going.

• Members

I will say one thing about this thread that's slightly off-topic--it's helped me write nearly two episodes of my blog because of passionate everyone's being in their arguments :lol:

Mike, I feel you. I really do. If the Lockhart rumors don't come true, I will flip. Core characters should not be going before those losers, plain in simple. Their 'new' and some cases, probably cheaper, but you know? There's no draw with them at all. So, that's the news I want next. Not a return. Just all three of them gone.

With strong writing, I have no real worries otherwise. If we continue to see and hear the improvements that Milstein has infused into the show, I don't think the lack of certain sets would hurt. Going back to basics could even help DAYS.

Remember, I was one of the first to go WOWZA with cut suggestions when major budget slashes were first announced, because I was that desperate to have DAYS be a good soap again. So, none of this scares me. Even so, I understand why it scares you. I hope you're wrong. I hope desperation can be avoided for a few more years.

• Members

I agree and that is why I argued so much in this thread. I just couldn't understand how some, who aren't known Carrie and Austin fans, were so quick to give up a show which is improving everyday.

Thank you for laying out your points LR. I do agree that the Lockhart's names should be released first but I think they are coming soon. I also want a Hogan preview. When do we get Fall previews-isn't is usually next week? Maybe we will get a Hogan preview then.

I think Days will be fine and I don't see things getting that desperate. Again, KR, I feel bad for you and all the die hard Caustin fans. I love them too but I know you all are hurting alot more. Hopefully, Hogan does a good job and Carrie at least returns someday.

• Members

I know some will disagree... and I respect that... but if anything I was ready to throw my lunch at the TV during the entire three years of Reilly's second reign with the show. The news that Reilly was let go was the best news I've had from soaps in years. Now that Beth Milstein is the interim writer and Hogan's coming, I'm really excited. I am ticked that C/A are exiting the canvas, as they were one of my favorite couples of all on Days, and especially because they are links to the past, but their return was botched by a bad storyline and a desire to make us play out the 1990s all over again.

I just hope the Lockharts are next. I want to find out when the fall stories will be announced (which should be in the next few weeks, if memory serves me right) and see what's coming up.

Archived