GH: April 2024 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

But why? For what reason?

Why would a budget-conscious media titan want a show to have an enormous cast?  Look at primetime -- successful and popular dramas trim their casts all the time, either cutting actors or giving them fewer episodes.

• Members

I have absolutely no idea. But, I'm sure that they are happy with the budget & the way Frank manages it or they'd be mandating other things. Just because they're conscious of budget doesn't mean there's a problem. Perhaps that is because salaries & benefits for people who work in soaps are so much less than they once were. But, that is only supposition. 

• Members

Do shows give benefits (such as medical) to noncontract cast?  Or does the union pay that?
Because if the show doesn't have to pay benefits, that might be why they keep recurring actors.  
Disclaimer that I have absolutely no idea.
Just asking.

• Members

AS of now a performer has to make over 27k a year to have their SAG AFTRA Health Insurance kick in

HW(s): Patrick Mulcahey & Elizabeth Korte
BDW: Shannon Peace
SW: Scott Sickles
DIR: Jillian Dedote

Another good episode of character moments

What is Ava's plan?

John jagger is def into Carly

• Members

So apparently the drug name they showed us was a made-up name, not a real drug name & it was just close to the name of a muscle relaxer. And so, these are his bipolar meds & they have been tampered with but now we have no idea how long he's only been getting 10 mg instead of 50 mg. Now, we get to wonder how much of this new insight (or reminder of) into Sonny's personality is the result of his being undermedicated. Today, with the last moment we can wonder if we're about to see one of his rages. 

• Members

Yeah that’s Frank, it’s been his style on this show since nearly the beginning when the show was on the chopping block still. He cut his teeth on GH with Ron telling heavy recurring character stories, and kept it up after RC left. That’s how they told the 50th, it’s just way too much now.

• Members

What's wrong with the outdoor set Dex/Chase were using?  It looks like a parking lot and I am pretty sure it was supposed to be a parking lot lol.  It's more unbelievable that Michael Corinthos knows how to fix a stove, tbh.

I have a hard time believing Abc/Disney/Frank/GH wants to have this large of a cast especially when quite a few bring very little to the table.

So I am unclear still.  Was Ava taking bi-polar medicine not made for her to sleep?  Or did she just get his bi-polar meds analyzed?

• Members

I agree with all y'all, lol. 

At the end of the day, ABCD/Disney is a corporation, and what are corporations about?  The bottom line.  Producing a daily, one-hour (with commercials) drama with a cast of 20-25 actors is a helluva lot cheaper than producing one with a cast of 60 or more, lol.

No, I tend to think GH's current cast size (on- and off-contract) is all Frank Valentini's doing.  I don't know what reason he has for keeping so many on the payroll, though, unless he's just so darned loyal and hates to see anyone out of work?

If Ava is taking bipolar medication, she should be freaking the hell out: convulsions, hallucinations, whatever.

• Members

Oh, definitely.  I am just confused as how Ava got from point A to B here and I suppose it doesn't really matter.  Did she take muscle relaxers/sleeping pills and they didn't work so she tested those?  Or did she just make the leap to test all Sonny's pills?