GH: April 2024 Discussion Thread

• Members
Posted (edited)

When Anna said charm has no moral weight in regards to Sonny I felt that.  Good dialogue between Laura/Anna

You can objectively like someone and then realize they are awful at the same time.

Edited by carolineg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Posted (edited)

Jake found Danny vaping at Scout's birthday party at the Q mansion, one of several good sets of scenes some of us thought were ghostwritten a day or two (Friday 3/1, to be exact) before Jason's first airdate on 3/4, when PM/EK allegedly started their work uncredited. There was a ton of unexpected family connectivity at that party with unlikely people (Alexis/Drew, Sam, Willow and the boys, Blaze and Kristina with them too as Jake and Danny were starstruck by Blaze, etc.) that felt fresh for me and some other people.

I'm pretty sure the vaping thing was just one of several examples they've done in that period and since (like Danny getting picked up for underage drinking a week or so before that) to highlight the alleged similarities between Danny and Jason/Sam's past risk-taking and his acting out lately, before and after Jason reappeared.

Edited by Vee

• Members
Posted (edited)

The scripts are not stellar yet, but there is so much more detail and care in the words people are saying that it makes it easy to watch even mundane scenes.

The way Brook Lynn and Chase discussed money and their upcoming new life was refreshing for a couple that was kept apart for one stupid misunderstanding after another.

Laura and Anna had an adult conversation about why they have a fondness for Sonny and also why that doesn’t matter with him being a violent criminal.

Cyrus and Laura also had an adult conversation that was watchable, something I rarely feel about Cyrus. All this poor old victim Cyrus is getting ridiculous though. Yes he went to jail, but he was also a murdering criminal.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

To be fair I also watch Days where Paulina is currently radioactive so SpongeBob SquarePants would probably feel more intellectual.  lol

There's a lot of things PM/EK inherited that they have to clean up, but I get the feeling they are at least trying.  I feel like summer is when everything will kick in.  I still really need a cast purge.

• Members

I agree: May Sweeps may be a period where they use it to wrap things up and open the summer months up in prep for fall sweeps. Part of me also feels as if Mulcahey is trying to follow Douglad Marland's rules for writing a soap as much as possible. I don't think a major cast purge will happen... do I think it'll trickle? Yes. But a mass-change? No.

• Members

Frank likes having a bloated cast, so if that doesn’t change, I also think it may be above PM/EK and they just have to “deal” with it. I’ve often heard the hardest part about being a soap opera HW is keeping actor contracts and guarantees in mind, as you have no control over it and it most certainly impacts the show and stories you tell. 

• Members

I still think probably 30% of the cast and/or recurring players need to go.  With the emergence of the kids teen scene there are just way too many characters to keep up with.   I don't need people like Brick on my screen.

I say cut them all and re-hire Vanessa Marcil lol.  I think a bloated cast adds some value as far as Port Charles seeming like a larger town, but there are so many people I don't care at all about, could use a rest, need a reset, etc.

• Members

Very insightful, only in this particular case, it's not Frank, it's above Frank, it's either ABC or Disney. They are said to like the show this size. I, like most of you, and apparently Patrick and Frank and all their support people are horrified at this prospect! We want 15 cut! We may get 3. I'm an old P&G fan which means I like larger casts but not this large!!! I honestly do not see how it can be maintained. But we all know about edicts that are handed down from above.