GH: April 2024 Discussion Thread

• Members
Posted (edited)

I think SK pissed them both off, or that shít they wrote in would not have been allowed to stand onscreen every day for months. Not saying he's the easiest person on Earth to deal with based on some talk over the years about his outspoken politics, but he's clean and sober these days at least AFAIK and clearly is not lacking work. I'll always hope for his return. And yes, I think FV lives in mortal fear of Brenda lol. If she comes back that's when shít will get really real.

Edited by Vee

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It should be Home & Hearth. Heart makes no sense. 

Frank won't let them cut his hair. Says it's to keep him from looking too stiff. 

Spencer's not coming back. 

Brick with Sonny: great, we learned Sonny ordered the JJJS beating. 

Brick with Jordan: My Eyes! Soap Jesus, help me unsee this. 

Today I found myself thinking that Dex just made sense. Obviously even dialog is better. 

We are a Month In & I still think they've done a lot in a small amount of time. Just 23 days. 

My guess is that they're going crazy behind the scenes. May Sweeps approaches. Gregory is gonna die. Michael Easton's leaving. I suspect Natalia's going to pull something. And of course, Big Wedding! 

• Members

Sean Kenan & Laura Wright as well as Billy Warlock & SJB had some toxic sexual energy the level of Alan & Monica. That would have been a more entertaining pairing than Carly and Drew and the poor attempt at Carly & Jason in 2021. It's amazing that a pairing that had so much behind it to work just fell flat.

On paper the Britt story could have worked. Jason finally having a non-Sam romantic lead, only to have to marry Carly. Too bad the writing sucked. 

• Members

Zoiks!  I totally forgot about Tad Martin!  And that he was once married to Blair!

At the risk of sounding like I'm criticizing: I'm sure the story with Blaze and her mother is one that's rooted in truth, especially about the Latinx and Hispanic communities, but its' inherent conflict is just lost on me.  I mean, it's 2024; and we're still concerned over what "coming out" could do to one's career in the entertainment industry?  Am I missing something here?

• Members
Posted (edited)

I think with the leads GH has, Valentini's issues, and as others have mentioned, the incredibly fear-based nature of the show when it comes to diversity or avoiding the status quo, you are never going to get a huge leap forward. 

I never really thought Billy and Sarah had any chemistry, although that wasn't helped by the show telling us 50000 times that they were the new Alan and Monica. The problem was that Guza had (to me anyway) such blatant contempt for Alan and Monica, so when we kept hearing this, how was I meant to react? Were we meant to hope for a future of Carly and AJ repeating "this is my house/I gave it to you" every time they were onscreen?

The show would just make her a hate figure ruining Joss' happiness.

Edited by DRW50

• Members
Posted (edited)

I'll give you using some inflection in his voice rather than his typical monotone droll seems to be a choice that required more effort than usual, but I felt like he was complaining about how hard the New York Times crossword puzzle was rather than allowing his father make his own medical choices. 

it's a shame too that the actors in the Hamilton/Chase crew aren't always the strongest emotionally because they are, structurally speaking, similar to the Jones crew with the singing cop brother and the doctor brother. The dad involved with a woman who had also been involved with his son. 

Thanks. I just would like to see the shows do something different every now and then.

Regarding Blaze/Natalia, I don't think Blaze's career would be negatively impacted by coming out in 2024. And, if Natalia dug deeper, even she knows that wouldn't have a negative influence on her career. From my perspective, the real issue is Natalia doesn't want the people in her own circle to know she has a gay daughter for two reasons. The first is she thinks Blaze's relationship with Kristina is a trauma response to the Linc Brown harassment. The second is that Natalia isn't comfortable with the idea of having a gay daughter. Natalia is a woman who likes to be in control and has micromanaged her daughter's life to a T. This is something that Natalia has no control over and it is cause a great internal conflict. Or that's how I am choosing to fanwank it.

Edited by dc11786
I mistakenly thought Gregory was a doctor.

• Members

I (and I think several other posters) would argue the show has made a lot of strides in terms of dialogue, character work, family connectivity and some more even-handedness re: the mob over the last month-plus. The issue right now is necessary cast cuts, bigger changes and new stories. Whether these things materialize remains to be seen. I do think TA got her most prominent and strong scenes in quite some time at Spencer's gravesite with a very good monologue across several segments a few days back.

• Members
Posted (edited)

I think you will get an improvement on what came before - I wouldn't question that. I just think the fans who want real changes, like moving away from Carly/Jason/Sonny being the center of the universe, aren't likely to get them. If they were big fans of GH around 1998-2000, then this vision may ultimately appeal to them, even if I don't think Carly will ever work the same way as she did back then (although I don't believe the show even really wanted her to become as prominent as she did at the time). 

Fans who are, for instance, clamoring for more Trina are also likely to be let down.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I'm going to wait and see on Trina. I think a lot of what is going on there now is typical FV guarantee shuffling and her mourning period getting caught up in the HW change. I'd be very surprised if PM doesn't end up making good use of her, if he has any control. But we'll see. Her grave scenes were very good.

• Members
Posted (edited)

I'd have to respectfully disagree there. Compared to what many would have had in that position, one half of a supercouple dying, it felt like the bare minimum. I guess I could praise the show for at least doing that...

I'm sure PM would want to do more, but, for the reasons you've mentioned, I don't think Frank will go very far. GH has never had a history of being interested in black women anyway - I think the most successful subversion was Mary Mae, who could fill a matriarchal role without seeming solely like a matriarchal character due to Rosalind Cash. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members
Posted (edited)

This! Even if they don't care genuinely care about black stories, from a business perspective, with Winter's success on y&r, surprisingly other soaps didn't take heed to attract that demo. 

Trina, Curtis & co are more diversity than GH has in years but their storylines are lacking.

Edited by Planet Soap