GH: April 2024 Discussion Thread

• Members
Posted (edited)

We've just had a misunderstanding. I think it is criminal that Dan & Chris didn't write Trina's grief. She wasn't on for 3 consecutive weeks. And, even if they didn't write her mourning, she didn't just disappear! There was a great deal they could have written for her. Now, last week PM/EK had her back onscreen, 3 days, with Joss, with Stella, again with Joss & finally at graveside. So, what I was saying is if they are looking for more than that, then, it is more than she's been given, in general. 4 scenes over 2-3 days is substantial & FINALLY the new team had Trina back! I was literally told D&C had no idea what to write for her in the absence of Spencer. I have contempt for thinking like that, so impoverished is their imaginations, thought processes, ... I don't really have words for what I think of that. Sorry I wasn't clear before. 

This is a nitpick but technically I don't believe we have supercouples anymore. But that is a whole 'nother discussion. And, it doesn't take anything away from my considerable Sprina fandom.

In 2023 she had 111 episodes & was #6 on an annual chart. Jan/Feb. 2024 17 episodes. 

Edited by Contessa Donatella
more

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It's fine, don't worry about it.

I do appreciate the handful of strong scenes with Stella and at the grave - not with Joss as I don't believe having Trina call herself a bitch for not holding Joss' hand is done in service to the character, just as her returning to try to prop Joss/Dex this week is in service to her (as some of her fans said on Twitter, she barely even knows Dex, yet she has to act like they are close friends). I do think that PM would write more for Trina if he could. Unfortunately, I think that Frank and ABC do not see that as worthwhile, similar to Mulcahey's GL run where JFP and P&G never let David or Gilly be too prominent or in pairings with white characters. 

I am not saying that being paired with a white character should be treated the ideal. I'm just saying the show saw it as the ideal and saw black characters as unworthy. As we likely have on GH now. 

I don't think that Trina and Spencer were a supercouple compared to L&L, or any of the big GH couples for a few decades after, but I do think they were the most talked about couple on the show since Patrick and Robin. All in spite of the show's best efforts.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Watching Steve Burton on both Days and GH at the same time currently has been rather interesting. Watching those Sonny and Jason scenes at the warehouse was almost painful because of Maurice. I then think of his scene partners on Days, who may not be the best in the world but are so committed to everything and I honestly feel like after about a month of Jason’s return I can say I prefer the character of Harris. Not to say Burton isn’t trying as Jason this go round, and I’m free to admit Days has been more of my show than GH for years, but I dunno Burton really works as Harris.

In regards to Curtis, maybe I’m missing something but I’m not seeing the disinterest everyone is talking about from the actor. He’s still giving the same performances I remember from when I was last watching the show and Sean was on as the black Jason.

I will never not be impressed with the amount of sets on this show. 

Did I really just watch Ava because she couldn’t sleep, just down some random pills that belong to someone else because they said may cause drowsiness? What in the world contrived way to find out his meds don’t work

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Antoyne

• Members

Some of the stans on Twitter are nuts. That's just the truth, like any online fanbase. If Trina bats her eyes in a way they don't like they get mad. I think the fanbase has been good for the character and the show, I think keeping pressure on the show is important, but like many couples fans before them for some it's reached a saturation point where anything she does that isn't the show in their heads is wrong and Laura (who had a lot of material with Trina after Spencer died) should be sent to the Hague. I'm not going to get behind that, so I don't think every complaint is created equal. Some I can sync up with, others I think are unreasonable and unrealistic. Especially when I think Joss has been doing a lot less lately.

I suspect ABC is probably increasingly okay with it, though I could be wrong. I think FV is still trapped in the 2000s, wishing Joss could be Starr, Dex could be Cole and Trina could be Langston, the "ethnic sidekick".

He's been slightly more engaged lately. Slightly.

• Members

T.J. and Trina each had the same drawn-out, pointless xeroxed paternity story one after the other and tbh I still don't understand how they're related myself. But Shawn Butler is T.J.'s bio-dad and Curtis is, apparently, Trina's.

• Members

I have to say I also enjoy CW as town pariah Nina more than I did Stafford who was in the role when I was watching. Stafford was just playing Phyllis in a new city.

Lord Carly and Jagger is gonna be some absolute mess, sign me up! Def saw the chemistry.

Kate Mansi whom I adored as Abby on Days has definitely come into her own as Kristina. I have no sense whatsoever of this Molly as being played by this recast.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Now, see, I thought Joss & Trina had perfect best girlfriend scenes. One day Trina was bitchy. Next day she called herself one & apologized. Joss replied no apology needed & then she apologized to Trina & they hugged it out. Trina had been stuffing her feelings for weeks. Joss was the safest person for her to let some of her anger out. People tend to go to their safest person when they're ready to vent. 

Agree that Sprina has been the biggest thing since Scrubs. 

Also, and this may be a minority opinion but I think the show is & has been very invested in Trina, much more her than they were in Spencer & there, that was a problem because she was with him. 

Edited by Contessa Donatella
more

• Members

I think they’re cousins. TJ’s dad is Curtis’ brother but don’t quote me on it. 

Overall I’ve found GH to be so exciting to watch. I know many haven’t been pleased but I love these early stages when a new writer is trying new things, cleaning up old messes and making their mark. I feel like the most immediate change is how character driven the scripts have become and the longer scenes. I can actually sit and focus and I feel like the actors performances have gotten stronger due to the improved scripts. There is also a much stronger focus on family and relationships which is great. 

It’s a bit unique to be given the task of creating a return for Jason as their first story but I think they’ve done a good job with it. I can’t wait until they settle in with the Jason stuff and can start introducing their own stuff. There’s rumors of some exits coming in the summer. Once they start writing people out and introducing new people, we should get a better idea of what they want to do. I’m excited because the show is overdue for a shakeup. 

• Members

When I first got into GH TB was Carly and Jason was purely in best friend territory. I personally never saw anything romantic between them chemistry wise back then but maybe someone that remembers better can tell.

• Members

I thought the unique aspect of Stafford's performance is that she imbued Nina with a delay in maturity, given that she was in a coma for most of her early adulthood.  Now, Nina seems like any other middle-aged soap lady.  But, Stafford always maintained a certain unfamiliarity and excitement with the concept of being independent, that I found charming and unique.  At times, she was a bit too literal in playing wide-eyed innocence to the point that she looked like a Keene painting, but I feel like we've lost that part of Nina's character motivation.

• Members

I quite literally don’t see what the issue is with his hair. I’ll take semi long hair over all the spiked and greased back hair that is still way too prevalent on this show.

I’m not sure what that has to do with what I said about Tamara’s Carly with Jason when I was watching? Soapsuds and I are talking about Burton and Braun.