GH: April 2024 Discussion Thread

• Members

I am not disagreeing or anything, but why do you think the Cassadines are worse than Jason or Sonny?   I kind of like the idea of wealthy Greek/Russian old school distant royalty and riches stuff as an escape although I would agree the Cassadines are a bit dark.   Basically, I just want to hear more of your thoughts on the subject lol.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I would recast Cameron before Spencer. With Liz you have an active parent on the show who can be in her own stories and her kids. I harp enough here about the need to bring back Lulu, Lucky, or both. I am also perfectly fine with Liz taking a tumble with Cody. Bring back the Spencer side of Laura’s family, not the Cassadines.

• Members

Molly had valid reasons why she was not the right person to prosecute this case, and in the real word, any ethical jurisdiction would have her recused. IMO, Anna looked stupid for pushing someone who is Sonny’s niece and the sister of his daughter to try this case. To me, this just adds to the ongoing narrative that law enforcement is stupid on this show and Sonny is always one step above them. 

I suspect Mulcahey in particular must have taken a liking to Nina, and obviously Watros as an actress and sees what many of us have seen all along that it’s really the actress making this character work and viable.

I’m just glad Nina is onto Ava’s set up immediately and isn’t the blind fool/doormat she is usually written as. The funny thing is Drew warned her about Ava’s ulterior motives when it came to Sonny, so this adds another dimension to her twisted dynamic with him. 

• Members

I don't, lol!  If I had my druthers, the "mob element" AND the Cassadines would have been phased out a long time ago (along with things like Crimson, Deception, the Metro Court, etc.) in favor of a renewed focus on the hospital and the complex and all-too-human personal lives of its' staff.*  Claire Labine and Wendy Riche worked so hard to turn GH into a grounded, relatable show again after a decade or more of OTT supervillains and action/adventure storylines.  To me, Bob Guza's decision to reactivate the Cassadines was a real step backward.

Again, I'm not disparaging any characters connected to that family, nor am I disparaging anyone who's a fan of them, but I've questioned for decades whether families like the Cassadines really belong anymore on daytime.  (Same goes for DAYS's DiMera clan, by the by, lol).

(*Or, at the very least, I would have offloaded all that onto PORT CHARLES, because the show, after all, is called GENERAL. HOSPITAL.)

• Members

I think the idea of the Cassadines was more interesting than the reality. They were effectively used as villains in the early '80s, but once Guza brought them back, they were caught in the inevitability of tedium you get with brooding or "mysterious" figures year after year. Just how mysterious could it be seeing Stefan wander around his island muttering about "Lasha" or Nik staring off into space yet again? Guza didn't even seem to care about either of them that much compared to Luke or JJ Lucky. 

There was also the lack of compelling romantic relationships for either of them. Stefan/Bobbie were great but they were nixed in favor of pairings that we were told were meant to be compelling rather than ever being shown (Laura, Katherine). And I don't believe Nik ever had an interesting romance. At least not when I was a regular viewer. 

At least they did manage to put Spencer in a romantic pairing that worked and had fan support...only about a year or less before he left, but that's an improvement, at least.

• Members

4-9

Well, darn!!! I wasn't necessarily shocked that we are moving into Jason vs Sonny...not helped by the manipulation of Sonny's med. But watching Diane in between Jason and Sonny really is making me ask questions. Most importantly...with all of Jason's asset reverting back to him...how does all the ELQ story up to this point that happened after he 'died' get affected.

And as the first...if not one of the first to call the Drew/Nina hate sex...YASSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And scruffy Drew at that. MMMMMMMMMMMMmm!!! lol. To much more hating. hehe.

Ava should is rocking those bangs. 

I still can't get over how quickly I feel that Willow forgave Michael. 

• Members

Hmm.. I always thought Guza's choice to bring in the Cassadine's was innovative.  But I agree it could only go so far.    I think Nik gave Laura a whole new chapter to explore, but I did tire of Stravos and Helena.  I liked Stefan, but I also liked the whole gothic vibe of it all and I agree it might not be right for daytime in this particular era.

• Members

4-9

Well, darn!!! I wasn't necessarily shocked that we are moving into Jason vs Sonny...not helped by the manipulation of Sonny's med. But watching Diane in between Jason and Sonny really is making me ask questions. Most importantly...with all of Jason's asset reverting back to him...how does all the ELQ story up to this point that happened after he 'died' get affected.

And as the first...if not one of the first to call the Drew/Nina hate sex...YASSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And scruffy Drew at that. MMMMMMMMMMMMmm!!! lol. To much more hating. hehe.

Ava should is rocking those bangs. 

I still can't get over how quickly I feel that Willow forgave Michael. 

Idk. I liked it. Broody and gothic before I knew what gothic was. 

And there was so many good moments. Well...before it went downhill from what I remember. Stefan/Bobbie stand out. The Baccahanlia itself stood out. And of course, the Laura/Katherine talk and the complexity of it...what did it say of Stefan's 'love' of Katherine if he was truly making her over in Laura's image...something no one would have said in that moment...only for Katherine to die...and coming back looking like Helena, Jr. lol.

I would say Nik and OriginalGia. But even that was a recast Nik.

Nope. Because then it would be a SPOILER.

Please register in order to view this content

Same.

For the time it was different...and I still see the promo in my head of the 'ring'...and the mystery of what had Laura spooked. That gothic vibe.

But yeah...overuse to silly reasons probably did that in. And the writing.