GH: April 2024 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I've based it off of her work on General Hospital, which was pretty well done, and then she went to Hallmark and seemed to lose what made her spark. And no offense to you, but I wouldn't judge the films simply because of the network they come from. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

TBH, I had difficulty accepting that Laura had had a child that she told no one about, because I knew of the pain she herself had endured when she met Lesley - plus, you can't tell me that the same Laura who pulled a rifle or machine gun on Mikkos Cassadine and his henchmen BITD is suddenly so afraid of his idiot son and wife - but I think Bob Guza did an okay job justifying Laura's actions.  However, once Stefan's initial arc or whatever was left of it was finished, that should have been the end of him, and of the rest of the Cassadines (save for Nikolas, of course).

For me, the problem with Stefan/Katherine was that TPTB were obviously hoping to recapture the magic that SN and MBE had had as Patch and Kayla, but DAYS was a different show, Patch/Kayla were of a different time, and Stefan and Katherine were much different characters.

• Members

Stefan/Katherine was such a weird pairing.  I get the idea of it all, but it truly didn't work.  It strange how SN/MBE had so little chemistry on GH.  The whole Katherine might be Stefan's sister story didn't help either.  Then her sleeping with Nikolas.  Oy, Katherine was such a mess of a character.

I always thought Alexis worked pretty well fitting into the cast, but in a lot of ways her identity wasn't quite as tied into being a Cassadine.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Honestly, I don't even know why they made her a Cassadine, lol.  And then, on top of that, she has a child with Julian Jerome?  I think that's entirely too much baggage for any character.

(If you're reading these boards, Mr. Mulcahey and Ms. Korte, I would seriously consider retconning Sam's paternity.  Just saying.)

Didn't Stefan shoot Katherine the first time he met her?  Oh, yeah.  That's exactly how I would want to launch my show's next big couple, lol.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Recently I had posted about the way SN was hired to play Stefan. 

In case it is not known, he went to a GH fan event with MBE who was already Katherine Bell & Wendy Riche came over to meet him & wanted to talk to him & the role of Stefan came out of that! 

So, a huge MBE/SN fan on TwiX replies that Wendy knew exactly what she was doing & what she wanted from the pair but that the writer screwed it all up. So, that has to be Guza & I admit that I thought it was fouled up from the getgo. I mean he met her by shooting her. HUH?!! 

• Members

Yeah, all the years we waited for Sam to even ask about her dad and...Julian Jerome was the choice.  It could be better, but I care so little about Sam I can't bring myself to be mad.

I think Luke was the one arrested for the shooting, but, yes, it was Stefan that shot Katherine and paralyzed her.

I am pretty sure Richard Culliton bungled a lot of the Stefan/Katherine stuff.  Along with the ditching of Miranda, who I believe was actual supposed to be a Cassadine and screwed up the original plan.   I don't think this one is all on Guza.

• Members
Posted (edited)

I still believe it was Stavros. Julian was so pedestrian.

There is zero chance Guza wrote Stefan and Katherine lol. And looking at yet another tiresome blocked post, there is actually zero in that anecdote that would suggest it was his plan or even that Wendy Riche planned to pair them up. It's just some Patch and Kayla stan with a (biased) personal opinion on Twitter being touted as the gospel.

Edited by Vee

• Members
Posted (edited)

But wouldn't that make Sam a product of incest?

I mean, in order for Stavros to have fathered Sam, they'll either have to retcon him back to being Mikkos' cousin, or retcon Alexis' own biological father.

Edited by Khan

• Members
Posted (edited)

Yep. Which is why IMO Alexis never, ever talked about it for years back in the day - until Guza got fired, there was always the suggestion of something very dark there. I remain convinced she blocked it out and her mind has instead settled on the polite fiction of the dad being her brief prep school dalliance with Julian. Incest is not exactly something uncommon to families like the Cassadines.

Edited by Vee

• Members
Posted (edited)

Well, in that case, why does it have to be Stavros?  Why couldn't it have been Mikkos?  That's even darker (if that's even possible)!

At the time, I don't think I criticized it too strongly, because, I thought, maybe it'll lead somewhere.  But, here we are, years after the fact, Julian's back to being a misty, water-colored memory, and little, if anything, is being made out of Sam's connection to another mob family.

Edited by Khan

• Members
Posted (edited)

Yeah I think you're right there, most of the set-up was Culliton rather than Guza. I remember MBE writing a column in the Australian magazine TV Soap (this was around the time there was a brief resurgence in interest in GH there because of course Ingo had joined the show) that gushed at length about all the things that Culliton was doing. And she promised a big twist for Steve and Kayla fans which of course turned out to be Stefan shooting Katherine!

The main things Guza did that would've potentially undermined the Stefan and Katherine pairing was to pair Stefan with Bobbie first which in retrospect was a far more interesting pairing...and then at the end when Stefan became obsessed with Laura again and soon after post-parapet Katherine with Nik.

Edited by Dion

• Members

Okay. Thanks for that info. I nabbed Guza only because he was HW at the time.

And the anecdote about how SN was hired, contrary to what someone totally uninformed has stated here, came out of the GH60 Special Edition mag, SN's own account of the event.