DAYS: March 2024 Discussion Thread

• Members

It's working a lot better than I thought it would.  I clearly have issues with EOB's Theresa, don't care much about Brady, and didn't have high hopes for Tate.  But here I am enjoying the story and the beats played.  I really liked John with Tate today as well.

The Steve/Konstatin/John stuff is a real chore though.  Why won't Steve just tell John about what happened?  It's been 40 years!!! And why should I care about rando Konstantin's daughter that I have never heard of and died before we ever met her?  Sure, it sucks she died, but Konstantin has been planning this silly scheme for decades?  Get out lol!

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yeah, that story's becoming a real struggle for me, too, lol.  Then again, I'm just tired of this show rehashing John's past whenever they don't know what else to do with him.  At this point, he could be unmasked as the Zodiac Killer and I would not care.

• Members

It definitely has to do with the writing. When Theresa first came in, she was written like a drunk gold digger. But under the scabs, she’s being written a flawed person but still a mother regardless of that.

• Members

It's not even like Days NEEDS to do anything much with John.  Drake has so few guarantees that he can just hang back and support his family, have some cute scenes with Marlena, be a good dad/grandad, and continue like that.  I wonder if it has more to do with Steve needing a story.

• Members

It's just that John and whoever else never digs up anything that is new and surprising and different about him.  It's always, "John Black was once a very bad person," as if we hadn't learned that already!  Why not dig up a long-forgotten wife and kids, or a sibling or half-sibling, who remembers him before he turned into Robo Cyborg Killer?  Hell, at this point, I'll even take a secret past as one of the Von Trapp kids in the original stage production of "The Sound of Music"!

• Members

I don't need anymore rando John kids.  John's past is probably the most played out story in the history of soaps.  It makes no sense, no one cares anymore, and can we just let him live out his life with Marlena in peace?  Lol.

I also think EOB has found her groove as Theresa.  I still want to rip that wig off everyday, but it does seem like she is understanding what she needs to play now.

• Members

Also, it's beginning to feel like the Theresa thing is becoming permanent and Gwen is just a distant memory. 

At one point, it felt like Theresa could not survive past the Alex reveal, but the Tate and Brady stuff seem to have given her an expanded lifeline.

• Members

I don't know why every writing team has such a fascination with John's past. It's not interesting anymore.  He was a bad guy that did bad things, he's probably not going to remember now and he isn't a danger to society, so just move on.

• Members

I simply am not trusting about the John Black retcon version 34b, or whatever this is. The DVD week was excellent & using him to wrap the Robichaux family up with a bow was nicely satisfying. 

A caper with Steve would be fine but not with Konstantin ruining it. 

John's great with family. He should be Father of the Year & Grandfather, too. Also works well with Marlena. 

Plus this idea that Steve has kept something from him all this time & is still doing so is just - Full Stop, a non-starter.

The only other thing of concern besides this is Holly lying. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

I wonder in the relative span of John's fictional life how long his bad guy period could've been?

He's lived in Salem (or has been with Marlena abroad) since 1985.  I've always had the sense that Forrest Alamain was an adult when he left his family.  And it takes some time to study as a priest.

So, between then and the time he became the Pawn, he seems to have really packed in a ton of stuff.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I'm not so sure about Theresa sticking around on a permanent basis. I still think that she's going to be gone by the end of the summer and we're not going to see her for a very long time, if ever. Let's face it; she's probably going to wind up in prison when all is said and done anyway and if she is going to stick around, she's more than likely going to slide back to drugs and just spend her days doing drugs at the Salem Inn while the entire town turns their back on her and just lets her slowly destroy herself. If Tate doesn't hate her already, he almost certainly will once he finds out what Theresa has been really up to and he's going to turn to Brady for solace and guidance because he obviously cannot trust his mother. 

You want Theresa to be redeemed? Then let her go to prison for the next 10 years, have her lose Alex, Brady, Tate and basically her entire family and also  have her get fired from Bella. It's not enough for her to be simply exposed and humiliated in public. Then when she leaves prison, have her go to therapy and have her confront her demons so that she can finally move on with her life. If I thought that she had any potential as a long term character, recast her with a new face that hasn't been on Days before and that can actually play Theresa as she's supposed to be. Otherwise, just have her recur for family scenes one or two episodes once a year with Jen Lilley in the role and that's it. Nothing else. She's not even popular enough to be a long term character anyway.